Stock A380-861

This craft is a full scale, stock replica of the Airbus A380-861. This specific variant of the aircraft features full stock GP7000 turbofans, which also include spinning turbines that spin up along with the engines. This craft was the result of various new construction techniques that allowed the build to proceed at a more steady pace than most of my other replicas, as well as new techniques that allowed me to make it more accurate. The craft has the looks, but as a consequence is extremely heavy. It flies well enough for its size, but is rather slow. 

cBefuc1.jpg

WPDQAYD.jpg

dYEAPWD.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://kerbalx.com/Kronus_Aerospace/Kronus-A380-861  (As well as additional screenshots)

CRAFT INFORMATION:
Craft Mass: 645.8 Tonnes
Part Count: 2159

WARNING:
This craft requires Unbreakable Joints to be active while it is being spawned in. Once the craft has settled it is safe to turn Unbreakable Joints off.

It's... It's... BEAUTIFUL! :o

Not sure whether it's even worth it once you get to this kind of part count, but I do see a couple places where parts can be saved. 

On the leading and trailing edge of the wings and vertical stabilizer, and on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer, there appear to be places where you use either the Small Delta Wing or Structural Wing Type D lined up next to each other, placed on different strips of wing parts. The number of these could perhaps be cut by 1/3rd to at a stretch 1/2 by replacing two of the small ones next to each other with 1 Delta Wing or Structural Wing Type D sunk in the middle with offset.

The next one will only be useful if the wings don't flex much. Some of the line of Mk0 tanks along the outer leading edge of the main wing could theoretically be replaced with edited fairings. I know that a a 1.25m fairing base wouldn't fit in the outer part of the wing, but in my head I'm imagining the fairing base actually being in the fuselage, with the edits allowing the fairing to begin far out at the wing. That being said, I recall that you were having trouble with the large fairings causing your game to freeze up on mouse-over, so I can see why you might not want to do that.

Anyways, whether you try those, or not, this is an absolutely amazing build. I would love to *attempt* flying it, and maybe try implementing those part saving measures, but I'm on a loaner computer that doesn't have KSP at the moment. :( 

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

@EpicSpaceTroll139 I think the tailfin is the worst part of this craft in general, it was the first lifting surface that I built, and my technique did improve as I went along. I find it to be kind of an eyesore, and it is definitely a bit of a part sink.

I was also aware of the possibility of using an edited fairing for the wing edges, sure the lag would have been worsened, but there are already 35 fairings on this thing, so it wouldn't have been the THAT much worse. The reason I didn't use it was because of my rigid philosophy. I want my craft to be recreateble by everyone, I want anyone to be able to look at my craft and see how I constructed it, and maybe learn from that. So I only build stock with stock means, maybe to my detriment, but that's just how I do things.

I appreciate the suggestions, but I do not wish to work on this craft any longer, after 1 month of building, and another month of continuous tweaking and testing I am down right sick of the craft. In truth it's not even "finished" I wanted to do more work on improving it's service ceiling, but as I said I grew sick of the craft. Even I have limits, and the game freezing for 2 minutes (I timed it) Everytime you placed or moved a part is past those limits. Hate to sound so exasperated, but it's the truth.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

3 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

@EpicSpaceTroll139<snip>

I appreciate the suggestions, but I do not wish to work on this craft any longer, after 1 month of building, and another month of continuous tweaking and testing I am down right sick of the craft. <snip>

Yah I suspected that might be the case, and I don't blame you at all. :P

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes, but he likes to build using stock parts only.

I posted that and then read it...

•)_(•

Derp.

EDIT: what are your specs? Do you have access to a quantum research computer that you magically rigged up with an OS?

Edited by Kernel Kraken

On 9/5/2018 at 8:18 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

EDIT: what are your specs? Do you have access to a quantum research computer that you magically rigged up with an OS?

I'm no expert on computers, what I can tell is that my computer is off the shelf and was pretty cheap. All I can really say is that I can't get 60 fps on most games made in this decade. I took up the practice of playing minesweeper while building this craft, because (towards the end of the building process) everytime I made an alteration to it of any kind the game would freeze for almost exactly 2 minutes. Needless to say, I got a lot of games in.
This freezing is due almost entirely to the excessive fairing use on this craft, although it was present on all of my airliner replicas, just not to this extent. It's for this reason that I'm minimizing my fairing use on larger aircraft that I'm currently building.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.