Launch a Radio Telescope Observatory to Kerbin Orbit

I have been issued this contract (by one of my 100+ mods. DMagic?). The only condition is:

Spoiler

Launch a new Triple-Z Radio Astronomy Telescope into LKO

The research facility must include the Triple-Z Telescope, 1 docking port, a science lab and an energy source. This can be done in one launch, or multiple launches.

i had to install the part because I couldn't find it, so I suppose there must be a problem with the contract not recognizing it. Also, I tried 75 km and 100 km, beeing unsure of what orbit LKO is.

Any help? Thx.

@Tacombel:

The Triple-Z Radio Astronomy Telescope is its own mod, so that, at least, makes this part easy.  As I look through the configuration file, it appears that the contract is satisfied by any orbit up to 249,000 metres.  Technically, anything with a periapsis under 70,000 metres is suborbital rather than orbital, so those are your parameters:  have a periapsis above 70 km and an apoapsis under 249 km.  Therefore, both 75 km and 100 km should have worked, so if they did not, then something else is wrong.

Spoiler

As a side note:  low Kerbin orbit is very poorly defined.  Some insist that it begins right at the atmosphere's edge at 70 km, while others insist that it includes a safety margin and only properly begins at 75 km.  The upper limit is even less well-defined because different people have different preferences--and the game itself does different things at different altitudes.  The mostly-agreed sort-of consensus is that low orbit probably ends at or before 250 km, which is when the game itself defines your situation as high orbit over Kerbin, but whether it goes directly to high orbit or whether there's a case to define a medium Kerbin Orbit remains up to some debate.  Some prefer instead to define high orbit at 240 km, because you get another level of time warp at that altitude.

So far as I can tell, this mod is a parts pack, contract pack, and science experiment that interfaces with a lot of other mods but does not have any of its own plugin code, so it ought to be compatible with a large number of KSP versions.  That means that the problem is probably not a bug in the mod itself:  the most likely culprits are that you either have a dependency that's out of date or malfunctioning, or that you have not yet included everything that you need to satisfy the contract because it's waiting for a different mod part.

The radio telescope part is obvious, and the contract will accept anything with a docking node as a docking port.  It also only specifies a minimum number, so if you included two or more, it's not a problem.  It goes out of its way to allow a number of different power sources, including Kopernicus solar panel modules and nuclear reactors--it even has a line for those fancy curved solar panels from Near Future Solar.

For the science lab, there are different parameters depending on whether you have Station Science installed.  Both cases require a part with ModuleScienceLab, such as the stock MPL lab.  If you have Station Science installed, then it appears that you additionally need to have a part with StationScienceModule, which includes any of the main lab parts in that mod (such as the TH-NKR and D-ZZY research modules--look for parts with a similar naming scheme in the Science Tab in the VAB if you don't know whether you have Station Science installed).

If none of that works, then I think you have a bad installation.

You can look into your persistent.sfs file and see exactly what it's looking for. 

Also, the quick ways is to just clear it in the Alt+F12 menu. When I've run across a contract where I think I've met all the requirements and it still isn't clearing I have no problems marking it complete in the Alt+F12 menu and moving on.

• 5 years later...

I am cheating this mod - I got a station with the triple-z radio telescope, a docking port, and a power source and I do not get credit.  Looking at the contract editor I meet all the conditions however going back into the admin center it says I need the triple-z AND a phases array transciever (deployable) .  THIS IS SOME repurposed bovine waste!   This thing cost a quarter million to build and I cannot revert so love it I am cheating success because as far as I see I met the conditions.  How does it possibly want both the deployable radio transciever AND  the triple-Z????

Edited by ctbram

• 3 weeks later...