What would be your plans if you had a trillion dollars?

Piatzin

Invest said trillion dollars to make it self sustaining.

Do whatever. As long as the money keeps flowing and ro expanding, could do whatever. Fund spaceplane development. Build a floating city. Improve infrastructure and no cost to government. Anything really.

Kerbal-Kon is a thing though that would be neat to fund.

2 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Buy a WWII era Destroyer.

Host parties on a literal warship.

Travel the world as the richest man in the world on a freaking piece of history. 

Buy my parents a sailboat yacht. 

Give some to my family. 

Did you read the actual post or just the title? XD

13 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

There's a catch, though, and that is that you cannot use the money in any way that influences you directly.

And by that I mean that you can't list things like '1) Buy mansion, 2) Yacht, 3) Roadster, etc.

You can list things or come up with something that will indirectly affect you though. So if you want to start an aerospace company, then that's entirely possible, with the one rule that any money you make can't be used for you personally, even if the advancement of space exploration affects you indirectly.

That sort of thing.

Hmm, well here's some things I'd be able to do under these restrictions (cost estimates are very approximate and in some cases outdated):

Lofstrom loop: $30 Billion (reduces payload cost to orbit to $3 per kilogram, which would massively change space accessibility)

Thorium energy systems: $0.2 Billion per 100MW

Fusion energy systems: $0.7 Billion per 500MW

Stratospheric geoengineering to halt climate change: $10-20 Billion

Giving everyone food, water, education etc: no idea, probably in the hundreds of billions

Large-scale wind/solar energy systems to render fossil fuel energy obsolete: no idea, probably in the hundreds of billions

Fully funding various alternative/independent media groups: Under $0.1 Billion

Purchasing every major gaming company and commanding the development of all the games: A few billion

Permanent lunar research base: $40 Billion

SpaceX Mars colony: $200 Billion for 100,000 inhabitants

Asteroid Redirect Mission: $2.6 Billion

Europa Orbiter: $2 Billion

Titan Saturn System Mission: $2.5 Billion (planned multi-part Titan probe)

Uranus Orbiter: $1.5 Billion

Breakthrough Starshot: $10 Billion

Seeing the world's reaction to all of the above: Priceless

Edited by ChrisSpace

Has somebody mentioned the founding of a Charitable Foundation for the Humanitarian Assistance to the Trillion Dollar Contributors (aka TrilliGood) with member cards providing an unlimited access to its programs "Let Us Help And Do This For You", "Let Us Buy It And Then Let You Use It", "You Call - We Drive", "Stay In Our Mansion As Long As You Wish" ?

P.S.
Afaik, this also gives tax deductions, as this is a charitable donation..

Edited by kerbiloid

I had a kid dream... to launch my own non-profit airborne medical & firefighting association, which would intervene anywhere at anytime. Of course, my childish and unconscious minds were not taking into account the terrible amount needed to make it, but 3 trillions should be enough ;)

Oh, and I would finally offer myself the vehicle of my dreams, a 1997 NSX-R... and a 1999 GT-R Skyline R34, and a 3rd Gen FireBird modified as K.I.T.T. (because childish dreams), and a yellow Mustang Mach 1 to honor the 1974 legendary movie, and... I should stop here.

I would buy take two, Unknown worlds entertainment, Parallel space inc, and some other gaming websites. Oh and, THIS FORum!

Which means the biggest crossover game IN HISTORY: Hadesnautica Sandbox Space Program (Hades star, Subnautica, Universe Sandbox, and, of course, KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM)

46 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Track down all the people who used to work for Maxis and MicroProse in the early 90s and force them to resume making the best and least buggy games in the history of gaming. 

I want a shot-for-shot remake of Sim City 2000, the only update being infinite map space.

13 hours ago, XB-70A said:

I had a kid dream... to launch my own non-profit airborne medical & firefighting association, which would intervene anywhere at anytime. Of course, my childish and unconscious minds were not taking into account the terrible amount needed to make it, but 3 trillions should be enough ;)

Oh, and I would finally offer myself the vehicle of my dreams, a 1997 NSX-R... and a 1999 GT-R Skyline R34, and a 3rd Gen FireBird modified as K.I.T.T. (because childish dreams), and a yellow Mustang Mach 1 to honor the 1974 legendary movie, and... I should stop here.

TB50-2000-px.jpg

Rent a helicopter and drop the money like leaflet while doing flyby above the slum area (aka donate them)

Not because I didn't appreciate the value of money, but such a huge amount of money tend to make people think irrationally about how to spend them (for me, living in peaceful area far from city, on a remote location with clear sky so I can observe stars in the night sky is far far more than enough to be considered as a paradise)

Edited by ARS

Get back into 90s and buy Minix for Torvalds. Pay somebody to hire him to make him to do job instead of torturing penguins.

Also get back into 80s (?) and pay somebody to hire Vozniak to prevent the Apple.
Buy the rights on 86-DOS (happily, it's almost there, so no need in time travel).

Get back into 1950s and totally prevent Pascal family. The evil must get gone. No regret, no remorse.
Also prevent Basic because it's in fact a diseased Fortran.

Again into 90s and gift to Larry Wall a computer with Unicode and an extended typographic keyboard. Let the Perl maniacs suffer enjoy the extended syntax.
Also buy him a mirror. Why discriminate characters flipped vertically or horizontally?

So, most of money would be spent on the time machine.

Edited by kerbiloid

Im going to donate 40 billion dollars to charity to see if donating alot of money to charity actually does something usefull. Im going to use 10 billion dollars to start a space company like SpaceX. Im going to have 150 billion extra to fund cool space gizmos for my company.

The other 800 billion is for buying water at disneyland.

Jk, that goes to space too.

13 hours ago, ARS said:

Rent a helicopter and drop the money like leaflet while doing flyby above the slum area (aka donate them) 

That would destabilize the local economy though, and lead to a crap ton of inflation :confused:

Throwing the money from a helicopter might also be a logistical difficulty...

$1tn in $100 bills would make ten stacks of money each high enough to reach the Karmen line.

You'll need a big helicopter. The Chinook is a nice, large workhorse. The cargo bay is about 9.3 m long, 2.2 m wide and 2 m high, which gives you something like 41 cubic metres of cargo space, or 41,000 litres. You could fit $1tn inside about 250 helicopters if you pack it completely full.

BUT it wouldn't be able to take off. The Chinook can "only" lift about 26,000 lb (12 tonnes), so you could deliver $1tn in maybe 830 or so journeys.

That's the easy part. The bigger challenge would be to actually get that money in cash. $1tn would be just about all of the $100 bills that are in circulation.

Fun :)

1 minute ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I'd like to change my awnsered: half of it would go to bribing the US Military into performing a surgical strike with air to ground missiles on the EA Offices and the other half would go to covering it up.

Uh

Okay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.