What would be your plans if you had a trillion dollars?

Piatzin

On 9/7/2018 at 7:47 PM, Deddly said:

@p1t1o, some maths might have gotten messed up a little there.

If I invest all $1tn in a bank with 5% interest, I'll earn $50bn in a year. Source

Not bad, but not nearly as much as you were getting. 14.29% would get the number you give, unless I'm making big errors!

(In my example I was quoting 2 year's worth of interest ;) )

Lets try some more amusing figures:

So what is it like $10,000 per kilo to LEO these days? Lets go with 10k/kg, its nice and round.

So for 1Terra-dollar, you can boost 100,000tons to LEO.

Which as it happens is about spot-on the mass of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

So, obviously we cant just put an aircraft carrier on a rocket and boost it straight up, we'll have to build it up there, which eats into your mass allowance due to the need to boost construction equipment and personel (not to mention their living arrangements).

Plus, a terrestrial aircraft carrier is almost entirely useless in space.

But we can probably boost and build something around half the mass of an aircraft carrier, and I think that that will be enough to construct an extremely satisfying, all-singing, all-dancing, honest-to-goodness, horribly beweaponed, space-battlecruiser.

Ergo - 1 Terra-fund can reasonably be said to buy you the Solar System and place you as de-facto ruler of humanity.

30 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Lets try some more amusing figures:

So what is it like $10,000 per kilo to LEO these days? Lets go with 10k/kg, its nice and round.

So for 1Terra-dollar, you can boost 100,000tons to LEO.

Which as it happens is about spot-on the mass of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

So, obviously we cant just put an aircraft carrier on a rocket and boost it straight up, we'll have to build it up there, which eats into your mass allowance due to the need to boost construction equipment and personel (not to mention their living arrangements).

Plus, a terrestrial aircraft carrier is almost entirely useless in space.

But we can probably boost and build something around half the mass of an aircraft carrier, and I think that that will be enough to construct an extremely satisfying, all-singing, all-dancing, honest-to-goodness, horribly beweaponed, space-battlecruiser.

Ergo - 1 Terra-fund can reasonably be said to buy you the Solar System and place you as de-facto ruler of humanity.

Even easier than that.

Develop asteroid redirect technology, get very good at aiming them, send out a fleet of probes to redirect decent sized asteroids, and you've got an arsenal of WMDs. 

1 minute ago, Bill Phil said:

Develop asteroid redirect technology, get very good at aiming them, send out a fleet of probes to redirect decent sized asteroids, and you've got an arsenal of WMDs. 

Should have known someone would mention that eventually :P

:D

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

Even easier than that.

Yeah, but where are you going to put your deep red velvet and oak panelled throne room then?

With a horribly beweaponed space battlecruiser you get to say "PEOPLE OF EARTH..." etc...

**edit**

I reckon though, that developing that technology (in fact we *have* the technology, we just dont have the finances to act preemptively) would be orders of magnitude cheaper than the horribly beweaponed space battlecruiser, therefore you could do both :)

Edited by p1t1o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.