Conquest of Minmus

W. Kerman

Sooo... Some background first. I have a save in a stock 1.4.5 install that I do challenges in (specifically those that involve Minmus).

The idea is that doing lots of challenges involving Minmus will build up documented infrastructure that I might be able to use in the future.

So far, the base is just two of these spires

G7iKR6x.png

(This is on the launchpad, but it was the coolest picture of one)

Spoiler

OSGtqr2.png

^And a hexagram orbital network in 100 km orbit (which rapidly fell apart into a weird cluster of orbits). 

And a 3 part space station!

u8bvMAE.jpg The three parts involved were the core, the airlock, and the arrays (both were on the same launch, solar and comms). Soon the fuel tanks and lander will be there.

--------------------

Update!

Spent about half an hour in the game, lost 9 minutes due to antenna strength and battery issues (I wanted the fuel module to look good, and not messy like the airlock section, so I didn't want to put anything on its side), but for my 30 minutes, the station now has a 64X, classic orange tank and a 1.5 ton lander that can, at least on paper, take two Kerbals to the surface of Minmus. 

The last two modules were launched with the same rocket, stacked on top of each other.

The lander went smoothly enough while docking, being only slightly scary due to only having 20 units of mono-propellant- However, the fuel tank was a nightmare, due to having no solar panels and only a tiny amount of EC, meaning every use of the built-in reaction wheels could have made it inoperable. Some quick thinking and some RCS fanagailin' later, it docked with the station.

I recorded all the modules on video, but my internet requires a 2 to 1 ratio of minutes to upload to minutes uploaded for super low quality screen capture, and 15/1 ratio for a clip edited down with Hitfilm express, so until I have a lot of free time where nobody is going to get liquided that the internet speed just got annihilated, those won't be up.  

Spoiler

4alnzXO.png

^^^Final station design, note the lander in the back, the solar panels, the insane comms, the airlock that gives a free docking node for future missions (and the mysterious goo), and the fuel tanks, ready to be used for... Something...

Edited by W. Kerman
Updated!.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.