[RSS/RO] Hunting RealSolarSystem Easter Eggs !

kurgut

RealSolarSystem Easter Eggs hunting!

In my rp-1 career, as I was doing some unmanned Moonar landing mission, I saw, once orbiting the moon, that an anomaly was in my orbit trajectory, so I decided to precise land there, and I found this:

QjlZYni.png?1

A Neil Amstrong memorial!!!:o

It excited me to found all others ones present in Real Solar System. So just started a new sandbox game to give it a try, and challenge my self.

First I'll deal with Earth of course. Here's what the map says:

TiC9PVI.png

I will start with the one which is North-East of Cape Canaveral

Let's HUNT! :D

Edited by kurgut

ANOMALY #1

So, to explore those unknown Earth anomalies, finally I first built a simple jet plane, kind of Harrier. I wanted to do a VTOL but realism overhaul has noob engines for that..

Taking off, cap to North-East of Cape Canaveral:

0X2eWuZ.png

This jet plane flyes very well, I'm happy with that :)  Now travelling during 1h15m at mach 1.22:

5iwfyHJ.png

It's a bit long, so Sergei is watching the sea, then the sea, and again...

Spoiler

... the sea :sticktongue:

Qx4H5xv.png

Finally! I Arrived to the presumed location, but nothing there... might be underwater maybe?

So I decided to land at the Wallops base, since it's closer to my location.

Z2K2j4y.png

Buuut, again:  nothing there, didn't found the base, then I landed in some more or less landable grasslands:

MvAZAf0.png

Drag chutes deployment

SuA0Kf1.png

Gebinzb.png

I'll maybe send a submarine there, because obviously the thing seems to be underwater.

Or not, if I'm too lazy :)

@Crocket Updated!

Edited by kurgut

ANOMALY #2

As I was too lazy to make a submarine and inspect again the first anomaly aera, I made an other attempt with an anomaly located North-West of Brazil. So I launched again my "Harriek" plane, from Kourou (Guyana, french launch site) this time, since it was the closest launch site.

Take off!

Wdo5HKc.png

Cap to target! I have 1h40 min to get there at warp x4 (was looong), at mach 1.24 to travel along 2.200 km ! :)

d9sVDwy.png

Watching my airplane flying, and try to adjust the control surface balance manage correct the plane trajectory as less as possible ( and so to warp X4 as much as I can! )

vxG5CG5.png

Fiiiinally, arriving, I can see something..

eqHeFDQ.png

But.. BUT... BUUUUUUUUUT.... THAT'S THE ISLAND AIRFIELD!! IN BRAZIL !!!

830ekxV.png

Let's land there and plant some flag

4PKKghh.png

Landing was almost a catastrophe, but Sergei is safe hopefully, just a bit afraid :confused:

af3qym1.png

Now I understand why I failed my landing with such a weird ground :D

baQ3JRo.png

First Earth easter egg: FOUND!

Preparing for next who's in the south Africa desert. :)

Edited by kurgut

ANOMALY #3

Let's see the flight plan, hmm, more than 7.000 km to travel (almost a pole2pole:sticktongue:@Triop )

tiS4TUz.png?1

First I built the Rangerk-1, an exloration rover: nuclear/solar powered, life support, 3 crew capacity (here 2 but I modified later):

XGdLaa4.png

With cargo deployable panel, and a kind of mobile lab' :D

f9nrdEa.png

cFT6lie.png

Exactly what I need to explore!

I also build a remote solar powered plane (my first in realism overvaul!), Solarius-1 !!

But don't If I will use it since it goes very, like VERY slow!

Mass: 3.142 kg.      Nominal speed: 70 m/s.     Take off at 40m/s.   In cruise attitude with engines at 50%, battery charging should be ok with the sun at ~45 above horizon.

uBvg0Tg.png

4lWs3GS.png

e9zSzhi.png

Maybe I should do a manned version, what do you think?

And use it to hunt easter eggs, would be challeging (and long :sticktongue:)

Edited by kurgut

Of course I'll make a manned version, Solarius-2! tryed to look at solar impulse 2, but performances ar faaaar from it:D

Mass: 6.932 kg.

Width: 32m/Lenght: 13m.

take off speed: 40 m/s. Nominal speed: 60 m/s. Autonomy seems to be about ~8 hours (day time) from I calculated.

6LodvgP.png

ZOXPaIy.png

51xE9tb.png

Leslie is really enjoying!

5ZtvrSs.png

InFiffz.png

Will see if there's an easter egg close to a launch site, because if not, it will take eternity to travel!!

Edited by kurgut

ANOMALY #3 next!

So the anomaly was located in far South-East Africa, whereas our nearest launch site is in far North-West.., well, the opposite... Obviously, I can't do that with a simple jet plane. SO! I aslo let away solar planes projects for now and instead, I plan is to use this: the Kerbalovitch Krapov (name of its creator), model Cargo .

The biggest airplane I built so far in Realism Overhaul :)

Xex5i1a.png

This plane will do the longest part on the travel, and few kilometers before the spoted anomaly, will release the exploration rover, hidden in its cargobay. Just a testflight here:

Take off at 80 m/s. Payload capacity seems to be huge since it doesn't care of my 5.000 kg rover

LZtXgZ2.png

Climbing at raisonable altitude and opening cargo bay..

YLiL4r9.png

GO!!! good bye Kerbalovitch!

dMBwcIe.png

Chutes deploying to stabilize and slow down the stuff:

8jzLgP1.png

Crew remote selfie during descent for the Kerb'newspapers:

gZBZ01K.png

Slowing again to ~3 m/s, I puted the chutes relative to the center of mass in the way the rover can land with the forward wheels first, with a safe angle of attack relative to the ground.

Almoost:

hiXrUCu.png

YEAH! Now ditch the chutes, and ready to explore

XaqTdBH.png

TEST FLIGHT IS SUCESS!! I will launch soon! :)

Edited by kurgut

ANOMALY #3 Let's Launch!

I checked everything was ok with design, and just launched the mission:

Taking off:

pBBGst2.png

Climibing:

r79V0Wk.png

And cap to 126° to our first checkpoint which the Volcan Karisimbi, in actual Rwanda.

tiS4TUz.png?1

XekOp21.png

Estimated time is almost 6h! with warp x4, shoud take about 1h30 travelling. :)

See you until that!

Checkpoint #1!

After 1h30 warp x4, just arrived to the Karisimbi Volcan , nice to see some changing things after al that desert, desert and desert again :)

THwQhYE.png

And some water!

xL4nAst.png

Now, I change my cap to the South, to the rover drop checkpoint, few kilometers before the anomaly. It's "only" at 1.550 km from there (better than the 5.000 km I've just done:D):

lNQeQ5f.png?1

Arrived at the rover drop checkpoint!

eF6DHyu.png

Stabilizing and preparing to release the rover. Cargo bay opened? check. GO!

k0FZavG.png

Good bye Kerbalovitch!

MNI3ITJ.png

Going down, chutes semi-deployed:

SOZwhW7.png

Few hundreds of meters before the surface, the chutes were fully deployed. Almost, almost safe:

iw18IJL.png

And landed!

S9qKuqL.png

Now, I've only 130km to drive, and we'll be good to see what there is in this mysterious desert! :)

Edited by kurgut

Next anomaly to explorer will be here:

TiC9PVI.png?1

In the himalya mountains, exciting! My nearest launch site is in North West China, at about 2.000 km distance.

I wan't to change a bit from airplanes (so loong!), so starting thinking to the mission design. Maybe suborbital rocket with precise landing, or only rover, don't know yet :)

SO! Ive found what I'll use:

A suborbital rocket wihich will do a powered landing and then deliver..

A motobike!

Still testing now, but at least the nuclear powered motobike works pretty well :) max speed: 16m/s (due to realism overhaul patch on the wheels to limit their speed:mad:)

QbqnmnA.png

Strange design I know..

toq0gjH.png

But looks fun!

WhjAFPT.png

I've just tested the powered landing, and works fine!

GiSLyQN.png

DX7CgoM.png

As the "Motok" rover (if we can call that a rover:D) deployement:

Ditching the fairings:

jbIGmPU.png

Motok release and ready to explore!

SU7N5J7.png

Now, I have to test if this flying scrap can handle suborbital reentry, and then landing. If not, I'll simply add a first rocket stage to this!

ANOMALY #4

Finally, I've finished and tested more or less the design, we're ready to launch: The suborbital rocket, Karkarov-B (A model failed), is standing by on hhe launch pad.

Es4UWfL.png

I've to aim to my target, which 1.200 km away, and try to land the first stage near the anomaly, to deliver the crewed rover (yes there's an unlucky Kerbal here inside the fairings :D)

Launch! Karkarov flys good (first stage is an upperstage of a N1 rocket) !

DZtbnP2.png

Aiming to target, seems acceptable: oh yes, and I launched from my nearest launchsite, which somewhere north-West of china.

uTrFsYP.png

Reached the Karman line, we can say goodbye to the Karkarov first stage, and thanks it for all its helpful thrust!

MaMqOq9.png

Now preparing for reentry! I hope, I'll not land in one of those holes there!!:sticktongue:

HCTqNmx.png

Hot hot hot! All this stuff seems to be stable and not burning

tOWiII9.png

lx4CKI4.png

Now fire the RAPIER and our four powerful jet engines to prepare to land:

anNwX2G.png

Almoooost:

TCXSRXF.png

And landed, fiuhw!

nAXh0zu.png

Now, just ditch the fairings... (they exploded when hitting the ground but nothing bad hopefully):

QzA1bDp.png

And releasing Youri, on his motorover, just a bit tetanized after his suborbital flight:

vrTqJaO.png

Before going, I used the remaining fuel in the rocket to try to see closer the anomaly:

3E0affz.png

Approaching, 7km, but I can't see nothing:/ And yes, this stuff crashed then:

S0HHQLH.png

twGLmIX.png

Now, Youri can go, only 40km to travel!

mRXNNmJ.png

hFws160.png

I keep driving :)

ANOMALY #4

Youri arrived! Not so much to see, apart this little black block here..

PW3u8ht.png

Hmm, seems like a TMA, but half in the ground.. Let's check this:

qhkQN2B.png

Getting off:

7hZMHdp.png

Yes, this is a TMA, Youri can feel the radiations, and start becoming greener and greener

x7kX5VX.png

Come on, let's plant a flag, and get out of here! All this travel for a little lonely TMA, I expected more, but that's fine, the travel was kind of enjoying :)

OoiIaBF.png

So! I'm now starting thinking to the next steps, I've still some anomalies to discover on earth, but start thinking to go to the moon.

I'm testing some (weeird?) designs now :D

Moon lander (and maybe explorer)

fWe5Msl.png

4zs3U6t.png

And an atmospheric version, well suitable for earth stuff, I didn't expected that, but flies good!

Q4M4IjO.png

V4ovZ6N.png

:)

Edited by kurgut

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.