My nephew went into epileptic seizure due to a gif on the KSP forum

DoctorDavinci

@Deddly @Vanamonde @SQUAD @Darth Badie etc......

Might I suggest banning gif's and the like from being used as avatars or being posted on the forum

My nephew is here for a few days and he has epilepsy .... I showed him KSP and he really got into it and then I introduced him to the forum

Within 20 minutes he came across a gif of Spiderman with a camera that had a flash effect and it sent him into the beginnings of an epileptic seisure due to the flashing (thats what happens to people with epilepsy ... they go into convulsions when strobe light effects are within their view)

I managed to catch it before he went into full epileptic shock but methinks it might be a good idea to ban gif's and any other format of pic that can be posted which has interleaved slides due to the fact that it totally leaves unsuspecting persons who may be medically vunerable to such visual effects at the mercy of posters on this forum

Thoughts?

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Maybe you should disable animated gifs in your browser?

I feel for  your nephew, but you can't control the world.

What browser are you using?

Here is a web page which describes how to do it for different browsers:  https://www.pcmag.com/article/345706/how-to-stop-animated-gifs-from-auto-playing-in-your-browser

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

(snip)

While I understand the effects of epilepsy and the dangers of it....(I have a friend who has the condition)

I don't think that banning .gifs on a whole is a good idea. Having one person affected by these images out of the few thousand people on here isn't grounds for banning everything. As @linuxgurugamer said, if you're using one of those browsers you can disable them, but I understand your concern.

The fact is that even if you ban them I feel like someone will be able to get around it, or people will be up in arms. .Gifs are a part of the internet, and I din't think you can easily ban something like that. 

I hope your nephew dosen't get one of those again. They suck. :/

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Maybe you should disable animated gifs in your browser?

I feel for  your nephew, but you can't control the world.

What browser are you using?

Here is a web page which describes how to do it for different browsers:  https://www.pcmag.com/article/345706/how-to-stop-animated-gifs-from-auto-playing-in-your-browser

My point is that if I wasn't standing behind him then the kid would be dead, period

What my browser is set up to do has nothing to do with the point that there are people, other than mt nephew, who have epilepsy and that they are at risk from stupid gif's etc... 

Can you not see that, do you not realize that having the ability to have gifs etc... on the forum that it provides a dangerous situation to those with epliepsy?

[snip]

Methinks the forum should consider a ban on these types of images as it provides a means for irreparable harm if someone were to be malicious 

As for my nephew, he's fine as I caught it before it got bad ... [snip] 

Edited by Vanamonde