Industry and resource complexes for Kerbal Constructs.

Aeroboi

I recently had this splendid idea after I was pondering about the whereabouts of rocket parts and pretty much anything related to structures in the game as a whole.

In real life we have i.e. coal, iron, aluminum, lithium, uranium, lead, copper, gold mines to make the hardware onboard our rocket.
Then we have metallurgists and metalworking factories to change the resources into actual hardware.
Then we also have Hi-tech chemical plants to produce carbon fiber composites, fluids for onboard systems.
And speaking of Hi-tech, pretty much anything else. For instance, ignitors, circuit boards and digital displays.
We also have land and off shore oil rigs plus refineries to create our liquid fuel which is likely RP1. Maybe there's also some electrolysis plant if we want to justify that any of our rockets carries hydrogen.
Then we have the assembly plants where the rockets parts are made.

That last one is kind of covered if you have the Kerbin Side mod that introduces some buildings just outside the perimeter of the default KSC complexes. I had always imagined these were the part assembly buildings before they were shipped to the vehicle assembly building for vessel construction.

The way I envision this is as follows.

• I want to see a road system towards the mountains on the main continent where exterior caverns are rendered that are to mimic a mining system where the resources are gathered.
  • I want a large local valley turned into a pit for coal and gold mining.
  • I want to see salt/sand mines on the other side of the continent near the shore where the land is low and swampy so I can understand where Kerbals get their glass, lithium and their table salt for seasoning.
  • I want to see a offshore oil rig in between the KSC and the abandoned airstrip.
  • I want to see large factories with chimneys and heavy hardware to justify metalworking enroute from the mining system to the KSC.
  • I want to see hi-tech plants in between the manufacturing industrial complexes like the metalworking plant and the KSC.
  • I want to see a airplane, spaceplane and rocket graveyard or otherwise landfill so we know where all our crashed rocket parts have gone to.

Any of the above ideas is good enough and more suggestions are also welcome.

These structures will not be functional in any way, they're just to look at. But having all these complexes in situ will really add immersion to the idea that there's a system to Kerbal rocket development.
I hope this idea is well received by either @Ger_space or @AlphaAsh or some anonymous enthusiast modder that is willing to work on it.

Edited by Aeroboi

15 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

These structures will not be functional in any way, they're just to look at. But having all these complexes in situ will really add immersion to the idea that there's a system to Kerbal rocket development.
I hope this idea is well received by either @Ger_space or @AlphaAsh or some anonymous enthusiast modder that is willing to work on it.

The cool thing about kerbal konstructs is that it allows you, the user to build your own cities and buildings in the game without too much mucking about in config files or knowing how to make a model.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.