[1.8+] Timekeeper 1.0.2 (2019-10-17) - orbits and sols counter

garwel

Timekeeper

This is a rather simple and unobtrusive mod that counts orbits and solar days (sols) for all your vessels in the background. It displays the current orbit/sol when you switch to the vessel or when the counter changes. It is purely cosmetic and is intended mostly for role-playing and immersion.

Download

Notes

• The mod starts counting orbits when the vessel achieves a stable orbit, i.e. has periapsis above ground and atmosphere and apoapsis within body's SOI. It keeps counting as your orbit changes, even if you go suborbital for a moment. If the vessel goes reaches escape velocity, lands/splashes down or exits SOI, the counter stops.
  • Sols are counted when the vessel lands or splashes down. Counting will continue as the vessel flies, drives or hops around unless it goes orbital or escapes SOI.
  • Mod's impact on performance should be very small.
  • You can disable orbits or sols counting or the mod altogether in the Settings.
  • AVC and CKAN (soon) are supported for checking for updates.

Source: Github

License: MIT

Enjoy the mod? Buy me a coffee!

Changelog

Spoiler

• Compiled for KSP 1.8 "Moar Boosters". Not compatible with KSP 1.7.3 and below
  • Fixed: Incorrect tooltip in the Settings

• Recompiled for KSP 1.5

1.0 - Initial release

• Compiled for KSP 1.4.5
  • Tracks orbits and sols for all vessels
  • Displays current orbit/sol on scene load and when the counter changes

Edited by garwel
Buy me a coffee

27 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Sounds interesting!  May I ask what the UI looks like?

25 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No pics, no clicks.

would like to see what this looks like

There is literally no UI. It just displays simple screen messages like "Orbit 24" or "Sol 5". No buttons to clutter the toolbar, no windows to bother with. Well, maybe I'll add a hotkey or some other way to show this message by request, but it's about the biggest intrusion I want it to have in gameplay.

PS: There is a Settings window, but it's not really a work of art.

Edited by garwel

Just now, garwel said:

There is literally no UI. It just displays simple screen messages like "Orbit 24" or "Sol 5". No buttons to clutter the toolbar, no windows to bother with. Well, maybe I'll add a hotkey or some other way to show this message by request, but it's about the biggest intrusion I want it to have in gameplay.

Might be nice to have a window to show all vessels, both current and previous

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Might be nice to have a window to show all vessels, both current and previous

Theoretically, yes, but since most of this data is incomparable (orbital periods and length of days will differ from a vessel to a vessel), I don't really see much use for it.

5 minutes ago, garwel said:

Theoretically, yes, but since most of this data is incomparable (orbital periods and length of days will differ from a vessel to a vessel), I don't really see much use for it.

Your mod, your choice, but I think it can be interesting, especially if someone is roleplaying.

So if I launch, it starts tracking my orbits around Kerbin, until I leave Kerbin SOI. So I enter the SOI of the Mun, does it start tracking orbits of the Mun? Or I Leave Kerbin SOI and enter the Sun's SOI (I am heading for Eve) will it start tracking Solar Orbits?

On 9/7/2018 at 12:23 PM, garwel said:

If the vessel goes reaches escape velocity, lands/splashes down or exits SOI, the counter stops.

From the OP it appears that it ONLY tracks Kerbin Orbits?

If it DOES work in all SOIs, Does it keep track of all orbits? So if I Launch, Orbit Kerbin 50 times enter Mun SOI, and orbit Mun 30 times, return to Kerbin SOI and orbit Kerbin 20 times, what will the counter show?  20 orbits? 70 orbits? 100 orbits?  Kerbin 70 orbits, Mun 30 orbits?

5 hours ago, BlackHat said:

So if I launch, it starts tracking my orbits around Kerbin, until I leave Kerbin SOI. So I enter the SOI of the Mun, does it start tracking orbits of the Mun? Or I Leave Kerbin SOI and enter the Sun's SOI (I am heading for Eve) will it start tracking Solar Orbits?

From the OP it appears that it ONLY tracks Kerbin Orbits?

If it DOES work in all SOIs, Does it keep track of all orbits? So if I Launch, Orbit Kerbin 50 times enter Mun SOI, and orbit Mun 30 times, return to Kerbin SOI and orbit Kerbin 20 times, what will the counter show?  20 orbits? 70 orbits? 100 orbits?  Kerbin 70 orbits, Mun 30 orbits?

Of course it tracks orbits in all SOIs, but it starts over if you've changed SOI, landed or went hyperbolic (i.e. no longer in orbit). Counters are not combined, because it doesn't really make sense to add, say, 15 orbits in LKO to 1 orbit of Sun to 70 orbits of Eve. The same goes for sols counter.

I think if the main goal is to count orbits for rp purposes it would be nice to know that additional info. Its the indication that it stayed in kerbin orbit for X time then made an orbital transfer etc...and continued etc. Showing a full history of the craft is like telling a story so to speak. What has its journey been like so far?? To reduce any clutter in flight...id think a simple table via toolbar button or hotkey in the tracking station would suffice. And keep in flight the same. Still a very minimal on resources as long as it doesnt update until the ui(table) is opened.

6 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

I think if the main goal is to count orbits for rp purposes it would be nice to know that additional info. Its the indication that it stayed in kerbin orbit for X time then made an orbital transfer etc...and continued etc. Showing a full history of the craft is like telling a story so to speak. What has its journey been like so far?? To reduce any clutter in flight...id think a simple table via toolbar button or hotkey in the tracking station would suffice. And keep in flight the same. Still a very minimal on resources as long as it doesnt update until the ui(table) is opened.

I already have a mod for this :cool: Space Age tracks your vessel's history including orbits, landing, SOI changes, dockings etc.

10 hours ago, garwel said:

I already have a mod for this :cool: Space Age tracks your vessel's history including orbits, landing, SOI changes, dockings etc.

Ohh i didnt know about that one. These two mods seem pretty similar. Does spaceage only work in campaign mode? I feel like this is an expansion to that so to speak? Why not just add the function of this mod to that one and add sandbox support(i wasnt clear if spaceage did that)? Is there a reason why they are seperate releases? Im curious now. :) 

But from the looks of it. That mod doesnt contain sol counting which i found most interesting in my case here, please correct me if im mistaken. 

installing both is an easy solution to have both if they work in every game mode(i play sandbox mainly. I dont mind an extra click on ckan tho lol.

Im not a coder..so some things that may be obvious to some...isnt to me. Sorry :blush:

3 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Ohh i didnt know about that one. These two mods seem pretty similar. Does spaceage only work in campaign mode? I feel like this is an expansion to that so to speak? Why not just add the function of this mod to that one and add sandbox support(i wasnt clear if spaceage did that)? Is there a reason why they are seperate releases? Im curious now. :) 

But from the looks of it. That mod doesnt contain sol counting which i found most interesting in my case here, please correct me if im mistaken. 

installing both is an easy solution to have both if they work in every game mode(i play sandbox mainly. I dont mind an extra click on ckan tho lol.

Im not a coder..so some things that may be obvious to some...isnt to me. Sorry :blush:

These mods work in all game modes. I decided to make Timekeeper separate because not everybody who will use it needs Space Age (and vice versa). They don't really cooperate in any way, but can work in parallel without issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.