The infinite depth bug

Klapaucius

I was working on my newest challenge, a continuation of my Mountain Lake Landing challenge, and wanted to just see how deep the lake was. Using mission builder, I put Jeb on an ore tank and placed him at the bottom of the lake. He somehow passed through the bottom of the lake and is currently falling forever in an underwater void. Current depth as of this post: 35,000 metres.

iFVavsN.png

40 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

He somehow passed through the bottom of the lake and is currently falling forever in an underwater void. Current depth as of this post: 35,000 metres.

About 9 hours from the moment of your screenshot Jeb should be reaching a depth of 600000 m. It would be interesting to see what happens then.

Edited by swjr-swis
units are important

2 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

About 9 hours from the moment of your screenshot Jeb should be reaching a depth of 600000 m. It would be interesting to see what happens then.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm just going to let it run and see if the program realizes he is inside the planet or not.  It has gotten a lot darker.

qdZX0bO.png

10 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

It has gotten a lot darker.

Not just that, but he's actually accelerating as he goes deeper - gravity is increasing. KER is either very confused already, or sub-surface physics follow a different set of rules. :confused:

I almost feel the urge to ask Jeb to turn on his helmet lights.

Almost.

Then the thought occured to me that we may not want to know what may be swimming right by him...

Edited by swjr-swis

And now we know....sort of.

1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I seem to recall seeing another image album from a similar glitch, but with an actual submarine-looking vehicle. As I recall, at a few kilometers from the core, it got ripped apart by the tidal forces.

Yes, that is what happened.  See the above video. But I got to 1900 mps!

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

Not just that, but he's actually accelerating as he goes deeper - gravity is increasing

I consider that expected.  (Expected in the ksp case, not expected in the real world).  I seriously doubt ksp is modelling a planet with its mass distributed throughout its volume.  It's almost certainly simply modeling the planet's mass as a point source at the planet's centre.  That approximation will work fine for anything on or near the surface, or in space.  However deep underground, acceleration due to gravity will increase, since you are now getting closer to that point mass.

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

:popcorn:

Not sure if anybody has ever gone to the center of the planet.   This I'm interested to see.

And for some reason, this firefox update has deleted my dictionary, it thinks every word I type is mispelled.  

@Pds314

What caught my attention was that it started to rapidly accelerate at the very end, don't really understand why
However, is there a possibility that it exploded due to overheating rather than invisible wall/ripped apart due to G forces? Maybe if you turned some Alt-F12 options on, you could get through

13 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Not sure if anybody has ever gone to the center of the planet.   This I'm interested to see.

If it makes it that far, I'm hoping for a secret subkerbnean world populated by Kerbal Dinosaurs and cavekerbals.

Maybe they'll be chasing Doug Kerman and a team of fellow surface dwellers around.

16 hours ago, AVaughan said:

I consider that expected.  (Expected in the ksp case, not expected in the real world).  I seriously doubt ksp is modelling a planet with its mass distributed throughout its volume.  It's almost certainly simply modeling the planet's mass as a point source at the planet's centre.  That approximation will work fine for anything on or near the surface, or in space.  However deep underground, acceleration due to gravity will increase, since you are now getting closer to that point mass.

In KSP you have an thin shell who is the surface and an singularity in the center. 
Gravity goes towards infinite as you get closer, g meter was peaked at 15g the all time but real gravity was obviously far higher as in thousands of g, enough to take you past 1.5 km/s underwater, however I assume the same would happen in air just that the drag is lower so you would overheat faster. 

I had this clipping happening on the Mun, no air resistance so it accelerated all the way. Now as you get close to the singularity things get weird. As KSP only calculates every 50 milliseconds, the acceleration and speed increased exponential who closer you get, at the closest point you get an random speed based on your distance to singularity, i only got 1/3 c, however this is so fast that the next calculation put you above the surface and even if not you would be so far from the singularity that gravity would hardly slow you. 

If this happens again turn off heating and you get the singularity encounter in slow motion. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.