The infinite depth bug

Klapaucius

34 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

No.

Just no.

Tell me that's not a real thing that's alive somewhere potentially waiting in the darkness of the abyss to eat my face. Please?

No, those are the benevolent, sea-dwelling aliens from The Abyss. 

Valentina Kerman has just passed through solid rock!

I managed to get my little sub under the surface, so I went exploring. Bear in mind that this all began at the bottom of that deep lake where I did the Mountain Lake Landing challenge.  This one you can see me diving towards:

eXYFx0L.png

So, Val gets in the sub and goes exploring underneath this lake. If you look at the video below (it's 2:40) Val travels under the mountains and comes up in the lake on the top of the photo. The sub is destroyed but she survives!

The video is cut down for time. I did a quicksave while I was under there, and it was the third attempt that worked.  Also, the large ORE container (which I forgot to fill) is an idea for the next bit.  I'm going to get her sinking and then jettison it.)

Edited by Klapaucius

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Oh, thank god. Lol.

I have a fear of deep water, and jellyfish.

:confused:

My sister had an fear of crabs as one guy scared her. I cured her finding some very small ones and scaling up. 
I lack an toe so I can scare kids way more efficiently, however i'm not interested in petty evil unless very amusing as scaring kids is unlikely to be.  

Okay, we have an answer. With the physics turned off, the object gets just under 600,000 meters and then resets itself to a lesser depth. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to what that is.  In the video below I trimmed the mission so that we have 4 occasions of that crossover point.  In the second video, I have slowed it way down. Notice the speed goes from insanely fast to 0 and back nearly every other frame. And the depth counter numbers are running opposite to each other!  Be that the case, I'd like to claim my record for fastest sub:  20454.9 m/s! (that's over 45,000 mph) :o:science:

Edited by Klapaucius

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

With the physics turned off, the object gets just under 600,000 meters and then resets itself to a lesser depth. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to what that is.

It's explainable though: the craft is basically in a decaying orbit (due to water drag) around the point mass at Kerbin's center.

Enjoyed the documentary!

22 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

And now we know....sort of.

<snip>

Yes, that is what happened.  See the above video. But I got to 1900 mps!

Actually the one I remember was slightly different. On yours, the thing was destroyed by heating. The one I'm thinking of was a submarine made from ore tanks and cabins, set that it sunk relatively slowly. It didn't reach the same speeds yours reached until it was just a few kilometers from the core. At that point the gravity ripped the heavy ore tanks away from the buoyant crew cabins. The kerbals thus escaped death, floating back up, while the ore tanks accelerated to extreme speed and suffered the same fate as your ship.

That is really interesting what happens to the ore tank at the center of Kerbin tho.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much realize what happened actually.

1. Planet gravity is modeled as a point of given mass, not a volumetric sphere of given density. So unlike with real planets, where the deeper you go the weaker the gravity (amount of mass above you canceling out the mass below you) you have a singularity in the center of the planet, and according to F=GMm/r^2, as r^2 drops, the G-force rises. That's why Jeb began accelerating so much - essentially falling into a black hole.

2. Anything on Kerbin below at altitude below +24km, moving at speed greater 2000m/s disintegrates instantly regardless of any factors like durability, thermal resistance, temperature etc. -595km is definitely lower than +24km.

Try to dump the ore from the tank. You were literally 5km from center of Kerbin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.