Am I missing something? Satellite contract polar orbit

Hello, I'm new to the forums. Just wanted to ask if you guys can notice any problem with my orbit compared to the contract's requirements. Is the height deviation significative or is the longitude of the AN the factor which is not allowing me to clear the contract? If so, how can I change the longitude of the AN (besides launching at a different time).

1MnnEEO.jpg

Im using Kerbal Engineer Redux, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Nav Hud and Contracts Window+. Started adventure mode with the latest version of KSP and all mods were installed using CKAN.

Welcome to the forums.

The orbit displayed in green must be matched to a fair degree of precision. That is, your blue orbit needs to be right on top of the green orbit. Your current orbit seems to be significantly rotated with respect to the green target orbit. If you right click on the An or Dn values on that green orbit, it will display how close you are to matching the proper angle for that orbit. You want that number (the An or Dn) to go to zero (well, technically 3 degrees is probably good enough). Please pay attention to the fact that the target orbit also has a required orbital direction. You have to be going the right way around the orbit to make the contract complete. Once again -- getting the An and Dn values to go to zero will guarantee that you are going the right way 'round. In general, your attempt to match the Ap and Pe numbers is excellent, and is actually much better than is actually required. But it's actually much more useful to match the plane of the target orbit first, and then match the Ap and Pe after that.

If your sat doesn't have the fuel to make the needed plane change, you'll have to launch it again.  But this time, wait till the intended orbit is over the KSC (or at least close to it, the act of launching alters your actual orbit some, and I'm not good at explaining how to do it), and then launch in the correct direction (N v S).    This way, it will only require small amounts of dV to match the orbit once you're up there. 

@Kerbamesh:

Welcome to the forum!

The longitude of ascending node (LAN) is definitely the problem here.  The general answer to changing the LAN is to pick one of the two points where your current orbit and target orbit cross (the higher point is best, if there is a difference) and create a manoeuvre node.  Use the normal/antinormal handles (:normal:/:antinormal:) to adjust your orbit to match.  As a caution, doing that will also change the periapsis/apoapsis, so you will need to add some prograde/retrograde (:prograde:/:retrograde:) to the burn in order to fine-tune the adjustment.  Alternatively, you can adjust the LAN with one burn and then fine-tune the periapsis and apoapsis with a second burn.

The KSP answer is as @bewing said:  Adjust the orbit so that the AN/DN markers you see reduce to zero.  The thing to remember here is that the AN/DN markers show your ascending/descending node with respect to the target, but the contract, if it refers to your inclination, wants you to adjust your ascending node with respect to the planet.  Ensure you are making the correct adjustment before you move forward.

Unfortunately, however, I'm not certain that you can make that range of adjustments with only 308 m/s of delta-V.  You'll have to test it for yourself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.