20 to 35 Fps on GTX 1060 and I7-7700HQ

Hello, I just bought a new laptop and wanted to play KSP but it seems that the fps are lock at 30 even with V-sync Off and frame limiter to 60 or even more.

I get a steady 30 fps in menu and like 20 fps in game.

I went to the Nvidia control panel and the game runs on the gtx 1060.

My specs are i7-7700HQ, GTX 1060 Max-Q and 16 GB of DDR4.

Thanks for your help.

It is the Dell 7577 if you want the reference so the cooling is ok + i think i'm not even at 100% on GPU nor CPU while in game.

Everything is updated so i don't know.... I have no trouble in any other game.

Edited by Azerty

• 2 weeks later...

I am running a heavily modded install at 35-37fps, not evne using scatterer/EVE etc. On both a GTX970 and a GTX1080Ti in a 4790K/16GB/EVO850 I get the exact same results. V-Sync turned off and max framerate set to 180 in ksp. The GPU is not so much the issue with KSP, the bottleneck is the PC or game engine as far as I can tell.

34 minutes ago, CanOmer said:

CPU's single core performance is the bottleneck. Check this out: 

PassMark: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

UserBenchmark: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/ (Sort the list by S-Core Pts) 

I'd say this is almost certainly the factor.

https://ark.intel.com/products/97185/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-80-GHz-

Your CPU has a base clock of 2.8Ghz (which isn't awful, but it's not great either) - now while in Turbo Mode it can technically reach 3.8Ghz - in my experience even in ideal circumstances, Intel CPUs never reach their top speed (it has something to do with how many cores are in use at once, plus probably some other stuff too, heat etc).

It's also worth mentioning that FPS is a poor indicator of performance in KSP. Due to the nature of the physics calculations, a better indicator is how quickly the MET bar goes yellow. FPS can be good even when the game is performing poorly (although admittedly thats not your problem here - just throwing it out there)

Edited by severedsolo

Thanks for your response !

I eventually found what the issue was. My screen is UHD but when i play in fullscreen even if i set the resolution to 1080p the game is rendered in UHD. So the solution is to play in windowed in 1080p. It works fine but the game only take 1/4 of my screen. I tried everything to upscale it to UHD in 1080p but it doesn't work.... I'm open to any suggestion :D 

On 10/7/2018 at 4:22 AM, Azerty said:

Thanks for your response !

I eventually found what the issue was. My screen is UHD but when i play in fullscreen even if i set the resolution to 1080p the game is rendered in UHD. So the solution is to play in windowed in 1080p. It works fine but the game only take 1/4 of my screen. I tried everything to upscale it to UHD in 1080p but it doesn't work.... I'm open to any suggestion :D 

Change your screen resolution to something reasonable.

On 10/10/2018 at 12:52 AM, Geonovast said:

Change your screen resolution to something reasonable.

Thanks !

The solution is to set windows resolution to 1080p everytime i launch ksp in windowed mode. I also added the command -popupwindow to play in borderless. It might be also working en fullscreen but i prefer borderless.

It's the 6GB version.

I bought the 4K version essentially to watch Netflix or any 4K content but not to play in 4K. With that said though, i can play some titles like skyrim in 2K (and with mods ! :D ) or Metro 2033/LL.

Edited by Azerty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.