[1.12.x] BDArmory Continued v1.3.5 beta [1/29/2022] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

Papa_Joe

On 11/25/2018 at 7:34 PM, Hotdiggitydog said:

But would it not be easier and look cleaner to have it as one part? Especially because it is based off of real life ordnance.

13 minutes ago, Cassel said:

I like that, I would also like more space-weapons.

3 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Yeah, me too. Some type of KKV.

BDArmory is just a military framework. I don't think we will add any more weapons to the mod. The idea is that other modders can create their weapons using the functionally that BDA provides to support this.

Usually when a new feature is implemented, we add a new part to show how it works and how the cfg looks like.

On 11/24/2018 at 4:04 AM, Hotdiggitydog said:

I don't know if you guys are still taking ideas for additions to this awesome mod, but I have found a weapon that might be of interest for the next update.

It's called the AGM-12, a fast joystick controlled air-to-ground missile from the Vietnam War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-12_Bullpup

300px-AGM-12D_Bullpup_missile_on_display

It seems perfect, as it would be its own craft with a remote control, rocket engine, and winglets that you could pilot yourself until it hits the ground. Just a suggestion if you are looking for more ideas.

How is this different from a craft with no weapons manager?

Could a fix be implemented for weapons killing the host craft? it seems to be related to the minimum engagement distance, possibly have the engagement distance start having an effect a few seconds after launch or make it configurable to not arm until after ex amount of time in the Cfgs.

8 hours ago, Xd the great said:

How is this different from a craft with no weapons manager?

Not sure I understand the question you are asking.

9 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

BDArmory is just a military framework. I don't think we will add any more weapons to the mod. The idea is that other modders can create their weapons using the functionally that BDA provides to support this.

Usually when a new feature is implemented, we add a new part to show how it works and how the cfg looks like.

Well I guess if anybody wanted to make it they could, but wouldn't it be a new concept you guys could toy with? The two realms of aircraft ordnance that BD Armory has yet to try out are TV-guided weapons (not sure if that is even possible in KSP), and Radio-Guided Missiles. There are plenty of weapons that use those 2 guidance concepts, and I'm am guessing that I am not the only user that would like to see them implemented by somebody. Now, I am not a mod maker, I have no idea how long you guys work on models and code, but maybe the reason nobody else has tried to implement them is that they are a little too complicated of something. Maybe if you guys tried your hand at one or even just made some notes for other mod developers, we might see some great new and fun designs. From just looking at it from the surface as a layman, it would seem like it wouldn't be too hard to implement for an experienced modder, as it would be its own self-contained craft just like those mods that add the 1-piece fighter jets. The TV-guided bombs on the other hand seem like a big challenge to get the camera on the nose to display on screen (or maybe not, I don't really know), so maybe that idea isn't so good. I've played with BD Armory in different stages of development since basically it started, and have loved the new additions to the mod it has gotten from updates and add-ons, but it seems recently many modders who made add-ons to BD, especially North Kerbin Dynamics, have stopped updating. Now it seems like BD Continued is the only reliably updated mod for ordnance and weapons for KSP right now. So, if you ever exhaust your pool of new features and things to the mod, new weapons for the base mod would be rally cool to have. These are just some ideas that you might use eventually.:D

Edited by Hotdiggitydog

28 minutes ago, Hotdiggitydog said:

Not sure I understand the question you are asking.

Well I guess if anybody wanted to make it they could, but wouldn't it be a new concept you guys could toy with? The two realms of aircraft ordnance that BD Armory has yet to try out are TV-guided weapons (not sure if that is even possible in KSP), and Radio-Guided Missiles. 

Yes, radio guided missiles are excellent for aadditional development, TVs ones are too, but how are they dirrerent from manually guiding a craft/missile onto the ground?

19 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Yes, radio guided missiles are excellent for aadditional development, TVs ones are too, but how are they dirrerent from manually guiding a craft/missile onto the ground?

Well I guess they are not much different, but they would look better than just several parts slapped together, probably be better performing, and it would be less finicky than making a missile with those nose warheads, as those never seem to work for me.

On 11/28/2018 at 2:48 PM, jrodriguez said:

I would want to suggest few things.

Self-reloading single-rocket-launcher something that can look like this one below. In addition to the launcher, there would also be a part with additional rockets, just like we have ammo containers.

20120526012148.jpg

A military version of the battery for powering the laser. Maybe even two versions, one large for ships and ground vehicles, and the other version suspended for airplanes.

Military version of tracks or wheels. Covering the standard wheels with armor is problematic, they are also too weak, have a low capacity, and do not match the design of the tank or combat vehicle.

Military version of cargo and service bay. The standard ones are good for airplanes, but there is no cargo bay for land vehicles.
Some armored capsule for vehicles with windows in such places that it could be used in the construction of a tank or armored vehicle.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:56 AM, jrodriguez said:

Currently, no. But it is something that all of us would like to see :)

Did some poking around in the code, not too difficult.
guuq4ul.png
Added Weapon Group functionality - Weapons can be assigned to user-defined weapon groups (in this case "Turrets") in the VAB/SPH, that can then be accessed both manually and by the AI like any other weapon.
I can get a PR with the code up tomorrow.

22 hours ago, Cassel said:

I would want to suggest few things.

Self-reloading single-rocket-launcher something that can look like this one below. In addition to the launcher, there would also be a part with additional rockets, just like we have ammo containers.

The ammo can be done with a self made box containing the relevant rockets.

I agree that they should add a demo part for the reloading missile module

48 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

The ammo can be done with a self made box containing the relevant rockets.

I agree that they should add a demo part for the reloading missile module

I am speaking from user perspective not from perspective of person who wants to create add-on based on BDA.

2 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Did some poking around in the code, not too difficult.
guuq4ul.png
Added Weapon Group functionality - Weapons can be assigned to user-defined weapon groups (in this case "Turrets") in the VAB/SPH, that can then be accessed both manually and by the AI like any other weapon.
I can get a PR with the code up tomorrow.

@SuicidalInsanity that sounds very interesting. I will send you a PM about it.

1 hour ago, AReallySadPerson said:

I’ve done this, but the weapon (m230) I’m attempting to use won’t fire 

1. Select the 30mm ammo, i think it is 30x173mm, double check in the info of the m230 tab in VAB.

2. Check the engagement settings, and min/max engagement range. And also the turret settings.

3. Try manual firing. Check for obstructions in the craft.

4. Try the other 30mm ammo box.

Edited by Xd the great

1 hour ago, Hojoz said:

I just found out about the orbital and clamped/unclamped buttons in the AI. Can someone explain to me what these functions do? 

Orbit changes the orbit direction over a target point once the AI reaches destination/altitude. You can go clockwise or counter clockwise. (Or port or starboard, I forget how its labeled.) Great for AC-130 type planes.

Clamped/unclamped just gives you normal/higher options like raising the flight ceiling, top speed, etc.

So I am trying to figure out how the cruise missiles work.  They dont seem to function correctly for me. 

Sorry hit submit before I was done typing...

But when I launch a cruise missile from an aircraft, like the air launched cruise missile and I have the targeting pod lasing the target and the missile just fires its engine and falls away and goes straight to the ground.. well more at a 45deg angle. 

Edited by Hodo

2 hours ago, Hodo said:

So I am trying to figure out how the cruise missiles work.  They dont seem to function correctly for me. 

Sorry hit submit before I was done typing...

But when I launch a cruise missile from an aircraft, like the air launched cruise missile and I have the targeting pod lasing the target and the missile just fires its engine and falls away and goes straight to the ground.. well more at a 45deg angle. 

You need it to lock onto a gps target. Manually. Lock onto the target with laser and select send to gps. Then select the target from gps coordinator, and fire the missile.

Edited by Xd the great

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.