[1.12.x] BDArmory Continued v1.3.5 beta [1/29/2022] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

Papa_Joe

7 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Actually cfgs wont help since the effect is baked into teh newer 3d models implemented a few updates ago that are responsible for rendering the explosion effect when any HE round impacts a target.

I actually managed to fix my problem by removing the current explosion fx and replacing them with the ones from way back in the day which were less laggy and actually looked better to begin with (imo).

IF3YPOV.png

Above is what it is with current models

Tc6D0Lh.png

B6Vw6zG.png%20

This is what it looks like using the super old ones from bahamuto.  Both models have a "light_spot" entity present, but the old models make that effect dissapear much quicker leading to little if any lag unless you are looking at like 10+ vulcans firing simultaneously (in which case it lage either way but is much better then b4 when but 2 vulcans is unbearable levels of lag).

i love how we are so kerbal by playing modded ksp on potato pc's, disclaimer, im not saying mine is good, i have like core i3 and 4gb ram only ok. I experience the  l a g  too.

Not sure where to put requests like this, but I'd like to see ammo switching for cannons, and specifically the howitzer.

The current howitzer only spits out non-explosive rounds, which seemed backwards to me.  I messed with a copy of the cfg for howitzer to make an HE one, using the 105mmHEshell in bulletdefs, and modifying the velocity to get a parabolic shot more akin to how a howitzer shell actually travels.

I haven't even tested the new part and bullet at max range to check the parabola because I came up with the bright idea to transplant some firespitter code, the "oblong multi-tank" fuel switch module, into BDAc to consolidate the normal and HE versions of the howitzer into one part with an in-flight button to toggle which ammo the part fires.  Further, I wanted to be able to have two rounds in the same ammobox part and have a slider to indicate ratio between the HE and Bullet ammo types.  It was my intent to eventually extend this to turret cannons with smaller and larger variants;  75mm, 88mm, 155mm, Naval guns and so on.

I hit a roadblock when I couldn't find the file in the Firespitter folder that held the module definition for switching fuel.  The only thing in the part cfg is a call to use it.  In-fact I've never found anything in the BDAc folder for tweaking the weapon manager cfg to allow the slider on "max engage" farther than 10km(The WWII 155mm howitzer had a max range of ~15km).  Editing the settings file for max range didn't change the manager UI in-game, in SPH, so I gave up on the larger guns.  I reigned myself in when I finally researched that I might need to edit the dll to add a new module to a part, since the dll is the only file I haven't been able to read.  I really don't want to code in C--'d rather not braindead my potato pc trying to figure it out--but I do want to see it as a part of the mod and feel like it shouldn't be too hard to include.

Thus, it is my humble request to see these features, my previous ambitions, in the game on some future release by the dev team:

1)Ammo Switching (Real request)

*Ability to toggle between ammo in-flight for relevant cannon weapon parts (preferably working with action groups)

*Two resources on cannon ammo box part: AP rounds, HE rounds

**Resources bound to a maximum amount of units(volume): Max=AP+HE

2)Ammo correction and expansion (Real request)

*Expand bulletdefs: 75mm, 88mm etc.

**High velocity low explosive AP rounds and low velocity high explosive HE rounds (I'm not asking for actual bullet physics against surfaces by requesting AP rounds. tnt is fine, just lower it for AP)

3)Parts expansion (Nitpick)

*New tank turret and/or howitzer model

*Expand cannon parts: 75mmTurret, 75mmHowitzer, 88mmTurret etc.

*Adjustable caliber for cannon guns and turrets

**Caliber is the barrel length, not bullet diameter, for cannons.  It affects the initial velocity, ie 50cal on a 75mm would be 50x75mm barrel length.

***This would blow up the amount of bulletdefs.  You would need a new bullet for every caliber within a certain caliber range on every round diameter, rather than switching between two already existing bulletdefs as 1) and 2) requests would only require that much.  Might even create a dependency on tweakscale for it to work in-game.  So I'm not even sure if this would be worth it for the dev team to fix, as a copy of the part.cfg and bulletdef entries by the player could accomplish different variations once the underlying ammo-switch is in place, but it would be awesome to see.

Thank you for reading.

Question: what do the 3 damage multipliers in the .cfg do? Im assuming the dmg_multiplier is global, right? But what about the other two exp ones?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, SerArthurDayne said:

Thus, it is my humble request to see these features, my previous ambitions, in the game on some future release by the dev team:

1)Ammo Switching (Real request)

*Ability to toggle between ammo in-flight for relevant cannon weapon parts (preferably working with action groups)

*Two resources on cannon ammo box part: AP rounds, HE rounds

**Resources bound to a maximum amount of units(volume): Max=AP+HE

2)Ammo correction and expansion (Real request)

*Expand bulletdefs

3)Parts expansion (Nitpick)

*New tank turret and/or howitzer model

*Expand cannon parts

*Adjustable caliber for cannon guns and turrets.

1) It is my understanding after being a tester and discussing this with the dev team of BDAc as well as lengthy talks with Spannermonkey, that ammo switching presently is not possible. It seems like it would be, but it’s basically the resource is the fuel and the bullet is the exhaust. The bulletdef is the only thing giving the effect, velocity, etc to the bullet and it can only have one bulletdef per part/gun. I would like to see ammo switching myself, since for a while gomker and I were testing velocity, shell weight, and damage output to get reasonably realistic sabot rounds. But presently it is not possible.

2 and 3) BDAc will not likely add many more parts unless it’s a brand new system like adding torpedoes and sonar. Currently they are a bit tied up with making things work again with 1.5, so new and expanded stuff won’t happen till they have bugs ironed out.

That said, they have a github and I would suggest making your post a feature request there so it doesn’t get lost.

Thanks for the reply.

I went and tried out the game after update and the max range problem i had with the weapon manager was resolved.  Go figure.

I didn't think it would've been that difficult but I was wondering why they were labeled as engines.  A lot of what I've been seeing makes more sense now.  I'll take note of all that and make a request on github.

I went into the squad folder to check out the after burning engine to see if there was something I could glean but a lot of it might take time to understand.  I'm pretty sure the module named multimodeengine referencing two engines, primaryengineID and secondaryengineID, in another spot of code somewhere in the dll where they're defined, like the weapon definitions for BDAc, because i cant find it anywhere else.

Thanks again! Gonna stay vigilant

I was wonder how I could go about buffing machine guns? Currently all of the addon weapons, even the .50cal browning included in BDAc, seems to have the fire power of a needle gun. I have no plans for redistribution, just really bummed how poor they're performing right now...

23 hours ago, YoloT47 said:

In the changelog of the most recent version I saw that reloadable missile rails had been added, but i can't seem to find them, can anyone help?

Bdac does not have the reloadable rail.

So far, I have only seen(or made) one mod with this feature.

Shameless self promotion, but other major weapons pack does not seem to have this feature included?

Someone with more experience please correct me.

Edited by Xd the great
Stupid typo

On 10/18/2018 at 10:50 AM, MadmanMorton said:

I was wonder how I could go about buffing machine guns? Currently all of the addon weapons, even the .50cal browning included in BDAc, seems to have the fire power of a needle gun. I have no plans for redistribution, just really bummed how poor they're performing right now...

In the resource .cfg, increase the muzzle velocity.

48 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

So far, I have only seen(or made) one mod with this feature.

Shameless self promotion, but other major weapons pack does not seem to have this feature included?

Someone with more experience please correct me.

Ok, thanks anyway, installing your mod now!

@YoloT47

6 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Correct, BDAc only has the capability added.

Like the HE resource... it exists in BDAc, but nothing actually in BDAc uses it... I think :P

On 10/13/2018 at 11:13 PM, panzer1b said:

replacing them with the ones from way back in the day which were less laggy and actually looked better to begin with (imo).

Interesting...

I want to try this as well, can you tell me which version you took them from?

Edited by TheKurgan

5 hours ago, LegatusFlagrans said:

So, I'm having an issue where my missiles are randomly blowing up in my face when I've fired a couple in quick succession. I've tried moving them around but even when there's absolutely nothing that could possibly be hitting them, they still randomly explode.

There are helpful notes earlier in this thread about how to configure your missiles to make sure that this doesn't happen:

- Shorten your missile rails

- Make sure nothing is in the way of your missile by adjusting your missile rail height

- Configure your missiles to have a decouple speed of 10, and either 0 or 1 on droptime depending on if it's fired laterally or forwards. 

Hope that helps. 

I still recommend that you go back into the thread just in case I missed some stuff or said anything that's wrong.

7 hours ago, LegatusFlagrans said:

So, I'm having an issue where my missiles are randomly blowing up in my face when I've fired a couple in quick succession. I've tried moving them around but even when there's absolutely nothing that could possibly be hitting them, they still randomly explode.

It seems to be a bug, and the devs are trying their best to fix it asap.

I've got a question about a certain feature. 

It seems that for the weapon manager:

1) I can set my max range up to a certain value in the VAB/SPH(Dont know where to find this), but

2) after I launch it has a different max value(The one I really edited).

My question is, where do I find those "editor" values?

Notes:

Spoiler

In the settings.cfg, I edited:
    PHYSICS_RANGE = 200000
    MAX_BULLET_RANGE = 50000
    MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE = 200000

In the weaponManager.cfg, I made no edits because I can't find it...This is what it looks like aside from the descriptions and names:
// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.001
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 25
maxTemp = 3600

PhysicsSignificance = 1

MODULE
{
  name = MissileFire
}

MODULE
{
  name = RadarWarningReceiver
}

MODULE
{
  name = ModuleWingCommander
}

}

Am I missing a module in there?

Edited by SerArthurDayne
Clarification, plus it wasnt posted yet.

10 hours ago, SerArthurDayne said:

I've got a question about a certain feature. 

It seems that for the weapon manager:

1) I can set my max range up to a certain value in the VAB/SPH(Dont know where to find this), but

2) after I launch it has a different max value(The one I really edited).

My question is, where do I find those "editor" values?

Notes:

Hide contents

In the settings.cfg, I edited:
    PHYSICS_RANGE = 200000
    MAX_BULLET_RANGE = 50000
    MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE = 200000

In the weaponManager.cfg, I made no edits because I can't find it...This is what it looks like aside from the descriptions and names:
// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.001
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 25
maxTemp = 3600

PhysicsSignificance = 1

MODULE
{
  name = MissileFire
}

MODULE
{
  name = RadarWarningReceiver
}

MODULE
{
  name = ModuleWingCommander
}

}

Am I missing a module in there?

No, i dont think so. Tge weapons manager .cfg does not contain a max engagement range.

To edit the max range, edit it in the SPH or VAB. Right click on weapons manager, slide the slides.

I hope i answer your question.

By the way, is there plans for upgrading to ksp v 1.5 or will bdac stay at 1.4.5?

On 10/25/2018 at 6:51 AM, Xd the great said:

By the way, is there plans for upgrading to ksp v 1.5 or will bdac stay at 1.4.5?

This is the second time you've asked this... and they did answer you.

I'll answer him again in case he just missed or misunderstood:

BDAc will update to whatever version they feel it's ready for after they get a lot of the bugs worked out that came from 1.2 onwards. Every new version of KSP has resulted in, to some extent, catastrophic bugs that the devs have been working hard to fix. But as KSP keeps updating faster than they can get them fixed, it's impossible to say just when it will be released. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see a proper fixed BDAc till KSP 2. But please, stop asking about updates. They are not paid to do this, and have been working hard on their time to try and get this fixed.

23 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

But as KSP keeps updating faster than they can get them fixed, it's impossible to say just when it will be released.

Thi is exactly why I want them to wait a while instead of already announcing 1.6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.