[1.12.x] BDArmory Continued v1.3.5 beta [1/29/2022] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

Papa_Joe

@Alex33212 edited my post a little. watch the video... it's cool IMO

you'll need a powerful radar to lock anything beyond 40km. There is a space radar in KTech, in my signature.

I'll also test it tomorrow, just to make sure it's all good.

Edited by TheKurgan

8 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

Well, the original reason I began investigating was because, my first time testing it out, the missile missed the target (a medium-sized 2.5m tank, which was the upper stage of the rocket used to loft it up) at a range below 2km by quite a wide margin - although it did detonate.

Understood, maybe a note needs to be added to the HE-KV-1 letting people know it's a space only weapon, and does not function properly in the atmosphere. Well I went ahead and tested it in space anyway, it's in the spoiler below.

Still works good!

Spoiler

And here is an older one of the HE-KV-1 beating my Photon Torpedo into space... launched from the ground.

Yes the textures are all messed up, this was before PRE got updated.

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

Using the HE-KV-1 missile, I've noticed that it's missing by ~100m consistently while the AIM-120, using the same guidance method, reliably hits (in atmo, at least). However, this is using version 1.2.0 on KSP v1.4.2, so it may have been fixed since - I'm currently working on setting up a 1.4.5 install to test in the latest release. I'll give an update when I get those results.

CORRECTION: seeing in the above replies that the latest version is for KSP v1.6.0, I'll be testing in that environment instead of 1.4.5.

Looks like a reason to update the forum thread name to the latest KSP version 

@TheKurgan I've done more space testing, and with radar lock at 8.8 km the missiles keep missing. They're definitely steering towards the target, even looping back around for another pass, but they are still missing by 100-200m. Unfortunately, I can't record video, but here's shots of the launch craft & test target:

Spoiler

Launch craft:
tpYpYKY.png

Target craft:

X2ZSBIi.png

10 minutes ago, Alex33212 said:

with radar lock at 8.8 km the missiles keep missing

I'll try at closer ranges. I am used to firing them at targets over 50km away like in the video I made earlier, it was 100km.

and I just did a test from a plane at 12000m and took out a satellite orbiting at 100km 

weird...

The bad thing is, if they are not performing well at low ranges, I can't fix it.

also, it does make a difference if they are fired prograde or retrograde... if you are firing them retrograde at close range, they start off decelerating, and likely will not work well until it's speed is positive with reference to it's direction.

Edited by TheKurgan

55 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

-snip-

also, it does make a difference if they are fired prograde or retrograde... if you are firing them retrograde at close range, they start off decelerating, and likely will not work well until it's speed is positive with reference to it's direction.

Ah, that might be it. I'll do yet more testing.

For ____s and giggles, put this Space Radar in your gamedata folder somewhere, place it on the vessel with the HE-KV-1s. use the SP-SCR-250a as your radar, and give it a try.

Space Radar From KTech

Shouldn't make ANY difference, but I am stumped why it doesn't work for you.

Edited by TheKurgan

@TheKurgan Did some testing with the two vessels' orbits being the same, and the target 11km out prograde. First missile: direct hit.
The issue might be that my earlier testing involved separating the target from the launcher, changing the inclination of the launcher's orbit, and then waiting for the distance between the two to increase to a good distance. Perhaps the way the missile handles targets with a different inclination is borked?

Edited by Alex33212

9 minutes ago, Alex33212 said:

How does the HE-KV-1 missile calculate its flight path?

It's a normal AAM missile, like the AMRAAM, but instead of using torque, thrust and aerodynamics to change it's speed and heading, it uses RCS thrust.

Edited by TheKurgan

1 minute ago, TheKurgan said:

It's a normal AAM missile, like the AMRAAM, but instead of using torque, thrust and aerodynamics to change it's speed and heading, it uses RCS thrust.

I know that it uses RCS. I was asking how it determines where to point, as it's definitely not "point directly at target", given that immediate lateral thrust.

Ok... a normal missile has aerodynamics... the HE-KV-1 does not. It will turn, but it mainly moves laterally to get pointed at the target.

normal missiles have this:

aero = true
liftArea = 0.0020
steerMult = 8
maxTorque = 60
maxAoA = 30

The HE-KV-1 has none of that stuff... which makes it nearly useless in the atmosphere.

and if you add steerMult or Torque, it will not work properly in space.

Edited by TheKurgan

1 minute ago, TheKurgan said:

Ok... a normal missile has aerodynamics... the HE-KV-1 does not. It will turn, but it mainly moves laterally to get pointed at the target.

Again, I know that it uses RCS and has lateral thrust. What I am asking is how it determines which direction to point in order to intercept the target; simple point-at-target typically suffices for surface/atmo operations, but orbital dynamics complicate things.

I do not intimately know the code, I am the guy that tunes the missiles, and makes them do what they were coded to do...

Even if I completely understood the code, it would take more than a forum reply to explain it.

The only way to understand how it really works is to ask someone who know's the guidance modules... maybe JR, or alternatively learn C# 

This is what TheKurgan knows... missile points at the target... goes really fast and corrects it's course with RCS right up until impact, or detonation set by DetonationDistance.

@Alex33212 Edited... I was hungover and a little grumpy.

Edited by TheKurgan
I was hungover and grumpy... :P

You seem to have taken my replies much harsher than they were intended. The "again, I know that" was because you seemed to repeat yourself when I asked for further information, not because I believed I knew more than you (or however you took it).

45 minutes ago, Alex33212 said:

Again, I know that it uses RCS and has lateral thrust. What I am asking is how it determines which direction to point in order to intercept the target; simple point-at-target typically suffices for surface/atmo operations, but orbital dynamics complicate things.

That is why the rcs on the missile is very strong.

3 hours ago, Alex33212 said:

Relative velocity. This RCS guidance calculate its direction based on the relative velocity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.