[1.12.x] BDArmory Continued v1.3.5 beta [1/29/2022] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

Papa_Joe

2 hours ago, Rocketing Racer said:

I a having an issue with the bda Dogfight Ai.  Not a glitch just looking for a reason why.  The Ai will fly away from the target providing no control inputs except for occasionally some roll.  it will do this until it is 2.4 km from the target no matter the guns range set on guns or weapon manager.  It usually doesn't make it that far but occasionally it does and then it re-engages normally.

Probably a lack of speed, or the ai is set to turn away and strafe. Is the target on the surface?

Also, reduce control authority and increase damping to mitigate random rolling.

25 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Ai will shoot rocket, but only at ground targets.

Thanks for the answer.

However I haven't managed to get AI planes shooting any rocket from both type of rocket pods on ground target, only from the rocket turret. When a plane is equipped with rocket pods, it will never select the weapon when guard mode is turned on. Any idea why ?

30 minutes ago, Aliors said:

Thanks for the answer.

However I haven't managed to get AI planes shooting any rocket from both type of rocket pods on ground target, only from the rocket turret. When a plane is equipped with rocket pods, it will never select the weapon when guard mode is turned on. Any idea why ?

No idea. Probably something that is broken. Pods dont work for me too. But turrets do.

2 hours ago, Aliors said:

However I haven't managed to get AI planes shooting any rocket from both type of rocket pods on ground target,

HI there is no bug here, the BDA weapon manager  has never been capable of firing or using rocket pods. Rockets in general are not much changed from the original first working version and about as basic as it gets .  Without substantial development, the chances of it being possible in the near future are very doubtful.   

On 1/25/2019 at 2:00 AM, Xd the great said:

Probably a lack of speed, or the ai is set to turn away and strafe. Is the target on the surface?

Also, reduce control authority and increase damping to mitigate random rolling.

I solved the issue by reducing the default altitude from 4000 to a much lower value.  Apparently It was going into some type of climb process and ignoring enemies in the process.

Is there a way to change the deletion of the bd parts category back to how it was? That change was super short sighted IMO since a lot of mods arent up to date with the most recent BD updates and have because of that been completely removed from being usable in game. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, TMasterson5 said:

Is there a way to change the deletion of the bd parts category back to how it was? That change was super short sighted IMO since a lot of mods arent up to date with the most recent BD updates and have because of that been completely removed from being usable in game. Thanks in advance!

Doubtful, also properly configured weapon mods should appear in the category chosen,  I recall the fall back being Utility . Some time ago I posted the  text to a cs script that several people previously not familiar with coding have managed to use successfully to create their own category. If that's just too difficult you can set up an agents folder and use the stock  filter  by manufacturer, to put all X mods weapons in one place. And if even that's too tricky,   open up the weapon cfg change category = none, to category = Utility

The fact that the weapons do not appear in the BDA category has no bearing on a weapon being visible, the non appearance is purely down to the motivation of the mod maker to put the appropriate fix in place   Would you be up to also asking Squad to revert the changes that constantly stuff up BDA every  update?  I think not.

The fact of the matter is that there are a plethora of small weapons mods that are not actively maintained, and on the whole are wildly out of spec and do not accurately represent the properties or abilities inherent in the BDA system.  As such i do not believe it is the responsibility of BDA to give them a home in it's category.  It's a bit like putting a Bentley badge on a lawn mower.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

On 1/29/2019 at 8:31 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Doubtful, also properly configured weapon mods should appear in the category chosen,  I recall the fall back being Utility . Some time ago I posted the  text to a cs script that several people previously not familiar with coding have managed to use successfully to create their own category. If that's just too difficult you can set up an agents folder and use the stock  filter  by manufacturer, to put all X mods weapons in one place. And if even that's too tricky,   open up the weapon cfg change category = none, to category = Utility

The fact that the weapons do not appear in the BDA category has no bearing on a weapon being visible, the non appearance is purely down to the motivation of the mod maker to put the appropriate fix in place   Would you be up to also asking Squad to revert the changes that constantly stuff up BDA every  update?  I think not.

The fact of the matter is that there are a plethora of small weapons mods that are not actively maintained, and on the whole are wildly out of spec and do not accurately represent the properties or abilities inherent in the BDA system.  As such i do not believe it is the responsibility of BDA to give them a home in it's category.  It's a bit like putting a Bentley badge on a lawn mower.

I am fully capable of doing all of those options, the thing is, I shouldnt have to. The category function within BD Armory shouldnt have been removed in the first place or should have been handled much better than making many parts disappear from game completely. 

A lot of mods simply arent supported anymore but work perfectly other than them just not appearing at all now. That's a problem. The simple fact is that something that wasnt a problem was "fixed" but created many new problems instead. 

Again, the fix wasnt necessary. The BD part category wasnt an issue at all. The issue is now many parts dont function. All deleting that option did was create hassle for users of the mod and take away from the experience, not add to it. 

[snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

11 hours ago, TMasterson5 said:

The BD part category wasnt an issue at all.

The idea of categories is to make parts easier to find for users ,  whereas the multitude of non BDA parts in the old BDA  category actually made finding BDA parts more difficult,  which was the motivation for the change

A lot of mods simply arent supported anymore but work perfectly other than them just not appearing at all now. That's a problem. The simple fact is that something that wasnt a problem was "fixed" but created many new problems instead.  

It wasn't a problem for you  as it required no effort.  Simply change the category to utility and they appear , not exactly hard

[snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

I am fully capable of doing all of those options, the thing is, I shouldnt have to. The category function within BD Armory shouldnt have been removed in the first place or should have been handled much better than making many parts disappear from game completely. 

Again, the fix wasnt necessary. The BD part category wasnt an issue at all. The issue is now many parts dont function. All deleting that option did was create hassle for users of the mod and take away from the experience, not add to it. 

So it was a BDAc team decision to change the category functio. I coded it and I did the actual change [snip]

It was done for exactly the same reason as @SpannerMonkey(smce) mentioned above ... which is the amount of sub par non bda weapons filling up the bda category ... sorry, but searching through over 300 parts in a single category makes the point of having a category moot

So I fixed the issue and now only BDAc parts appear in the bda category as it should be

All weapon mod authors were given ample notice that this was going to happen as well as offers of assistance in the form of a detailed explanation of how to incorporate their own editor category invluding the code to do so not to mention myself and others offering their time and effort to do it for the aforementioned weapon mod creators

They didn't take any of us up on the numerous offers of help to make the transition

If you dont like it then complain to them since all reasonable effort was made by the bdac team to help them and in many instances we offered to do it for them outright

[snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

Some content has been redacted and/or removed.

Folks, let's keep it civil.  There's nothing wrong with giving feedback about one's experience with a mod, but please bear a few things in mind:

• Mod authors work in their spare time to give us shiny toys for free, and therefore owe nobody anything.  Polite requests are always appropriate, but angry criticism is not.  If you don't like the mod, don't use it.
  • It is never appropriate, in a mod thread or anywhere else in the forum, to level personal criticism.  If you dispute a point, argue the point.  It's never OK to make personal attacks, against anyone, regardless of provocation.  Address the post, not the poster.
  • "He started it" is never an excuse for inappropriate responses.  "An eye for an eye" is not how it works, here.  If someone is behaving inappropriately, please simply report the post and do not otherwise engage.  That will ping the moderator team and we can have a look and address anything that we feel may need addressing.  It's what we're for.

Thank you for your understanding.

Maybee if i can find some time ill get back to helping you guys with BDA development, especially after the latest update broke combat completely...

This is a battle with a medium tank and a scout vehicle/light tank thingy (doesnt look like a tank but is one of my more min-maxed designs in terms of raw combat ability).  BDA version 1.2.2...

IwEz6ON.png

qzFokz9.png

fKcjXDX.png

mJRHT0O.png

XOcBOkm.png

Its a bit unrealistic how quickly that 20mm deals damage, but its really only an issue against very badly designed vehicles or at sub 1km distances.  If you can manage to keep range 200mm of frontal armor is borderline immune to 20s and 30s unless you decide to broadside it at point blank range with 100mm or less sides (or a very lucky shot blows off something under the tank and sends it flying cause of buggy wheel springs).

I actually won that battle manually controlling the medium tank (which was armed with a single 30mm autogun), purely by keeping my front facing at the enemy and recovering quickly from that one nasty flip you can see sorta through the explosions.  It was prolluy due to starving the enemy of ammo, but still, a win is a win.

And this is what happens with the new damage code in 1.2.4 using the exact same 2 vehicles...

cJfRV6X.png

1zQB7ug.png

kP7TCfC.png

Thats not even a wrecked tank, but a bunch of single parts littered all over :(!!!

Z2ioqFb.png

I dont even want to know HOW a burst from 2.5km did that to a medium tank.  It just got evicerated by a 20mm cannon burst (i doubt more then 20 shells connected before it went poof) at a range that 20mm cannons should be for all intents and purposes worthless (and in the 1.2.2 20mms really came into play at 1km or less which made some sense, even if they were way more powerful then one would expect out of such a small caliber especially with HE shells).  That was against a target with 500mm all around armor (normally i have it set to 200 front and 100 sides and 10 rear, but for the sake of testing i set it to max).

So yeah, something needs to be done with the damage code which has become extremely unreliable, unpredictable, and worst of all like nothing we can relate to in this world.  I cant promise anything, but i think ill try to install VS on my new rig and hopefully figure out how to compile this thing so i can do my own tweaks and fix this once and for all...

Another bit of a sidenote, i strongly suggest that we lower the vulcan's ROF to 4000RPM from the current setting of 5500RPM.  Its real RPM setting is supposed to be 6000, but there are some planes with selectable ROF and 4000 is one of those modes so it would both slightly nerf a otherwise OP weapon and make it more realistic (ive never heard of a vulcan firing at 5500 anyways...).

Edited by panzer1b

31 minutes ago, Dr.1234567890 said:

I had issues starting KSP with BDArmory online, it just didnt get any further than loading the Vulcan. btw im using the [1.4.x] Version if there is any newer one please tell me.

Hi the usual  cause of your particular problem is incorrect installation.

The only correct file path for BDA  is  GameData/BDArmory/   NOT  GameData/BDArmory1.2.2.2.xxxx/GameData/BDArmory/.  

If however your installation is correct please locate the KSP.log in the main KSP directory zip it up, (winzip or similar)  and upload it to a file sharing site (dropbox or similar)  and post a link to the download here,  a team member can then take a look and diagnose your issue

Ive made some progress on fixing some of the damage BS in the current 1.2.4 version:

This is what style of tank i made, 1 layer of outer armor ONLY (to show how quickly penetrations destroy the command pod in the middle), and roughly as close to a tiger layout as i can get (so minimal sloping).

lMaMEBk.png

This is a 2v1 battle, all are tiger hulls, the 2 with 88s are exactly the same as they would be irl (100mm front, 80 sides/rear, 60 below wheels, 80 turret).  the other tank is the same style hull but with a 20mm gun on it and 200mm where the others have 100.

7LhyEVD.png

nTiKewh.png

RpfiAiy.png

the "authentic" KSP tigers are as expected, 100% immune to 20mm cannons (which is currently coded to fire APCR in terms of bullet defenitions) from any angle (the guns very slowly weaken the armor, but its negligible for the duration of this engagement).  The 200mm of front armor is also immune to those 88s as would be the case IRL, but it does take come noticeable damage since there are 2 tigers shooting it at once (if i parked the 200mm tank and just let em shoot eventually that armor would go poof).

S3eIEps.png

kZEOpfM.png

Shortly after the 200mm tank passed, it showed its sides/rear and was evicerated (as in the pod and some ammo/fuel exploded).  Took a few shots to kill it outright (given how difficult it was for those tanks to get a clean hit on a moving target), but it died pretty fast as would be expected irl (80mm of flat armor wont stop a tiger main gun like at all).

JCS1E4o.png

The battle successfully proves that AP shells work as expected (at least WW2 ones), since i coded those guns to use as close to reality performance as possible using real ballistic data (mass, HE filler, velocity, ect).

Now the next time i get some freetime i will take a look into the completely broken APHE mechanic.  I really like the idea of allowing a round to detonate inside a vehicle, but thusfar that entire system is bugged and even 20mm HE will penetrate a 500mm vehicle which is bull imo.  The code is alot more complex then the last time i actually worked on dis mod, but the only way to get it to a playable state is to do it myself :)

Hello,

I've been fiddling around with this great mod and I realized that AI pilot don't use CoM Track with the IR Targeting pods.

I tried to make an AI tank battles equipped with TOW missiles. The AI engage targets and use the TOW and IR Targeting as expected, but with any settings I've put in the guard mode menu, they always stop aiming at their target once the TOW is launched, meaning that unless the target is standing still or moving straight towards the shooter, the AI will miss most of it's shot. In a 3vs3 fight, all vehicles  equipped with 8 TOW, at best 1 or 2 missiles hit their target before they all ran out of ammo.

Then I tried to manually activate the CoM Track on each tank before turning on the AI and guard mode, and as the AI does not deactivate it, half of the shot hit their target! All fight ended up with one of the team completely destroyed, with some TOW left on the winning team. I could see the targeting reticle of the different IR Pods following each tank as they moved when targeted, and the AI could reliably hit target moving perpendicular to them. It now made sens to equip some tanks with CIWS to shoot down the missiles.

So my question is: is there a way to make the AI activate the CoM Track by itself? Or at least activate the CoM Track with an action group so there is at least one way to activate it other than manually ?

On 2/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, Aliors said:

Hello,

I've been fiddling around with this great mod and I realized that AI pilot don't use CoM Track with the IR Targeting pods.

I tried to make an AI tank battles equipped with TOW missiles. The AI engage targets and use the TOW and IR Targeting as expected, but with any settings I've put in the guard mode menu, they always stop aiming at their target once the TOW is launched, meaning that unless the target is standing still or moving straight towards the shooter, the AI will miss most of it's shot. In a 3vs3 fight, all vehicles  equipped with 8 TOW, at best 1 or 2 missiles hit their target before they all ran out of ammo.

Then I tried to manually activate the CoM Track on each tank before turning on the AI and guard mode, and as the AI does not deactivate it, half of the shot hit their target! All fight ended up with one of the team completely destroyed, with some TOW left on the winning team. I could see the targeting reticle of the different IR Pods following each tank as they moved when targeted, and the AI could reliably hit target moving perpendicular to them. It now made sens to equip some tanks with CIWS to shoot down the missiles.

So my question is: is there a way to make the AI activate the CoM Track by itself? Or at least activate the CoM Track with an action group so there is at least one way to activate it other than manually ?

Probably not. But you can always add this to a feature request on the github page.

Im running ksp 1.4.5 bda 1.2.2.2 PRE and module manager 4.0.2 and I am having an issue with guard mode where an air turret locks on to a plane, selects a missile to fire but only fires the missile if the plane is below 100 m. Any tips to fix this problem

Edited by CDough8

Making some decent progress, but thusfar im having some major trouble fixing the penetrating HE BS thats currently in BDA.  It seems that what is happening is the explosion's rays that act as its method for hitting targets are phasing through armor panels when the round doesnt penetrate.  ive fixed all the penetration issues thusfar, but its really not very useful when the HE detonation detonates in a location that is physically behind the armor itself.

What really gets me is that it worked 100% perfectly in older versions, and i cant seem to figure out what changed with regards to explosions from older to newer game versions.  Still, ill give it a few more tries before i give up on modding whats there and literally going back to older code...

Edit:

tSjw1hB.png

20mm doesnt go through 80mm of steel finally :)

p7oLTDq.png

This test i used even simpler "box" tanks which were literally a rectangle with 200mm front, 80mm sides, 40mm everything else, unarmored anything inside tank.

ABfaU6R.png

as you can see, even after being shot at quite a bit the tank is fine and the driver has not been damaged in anhy way (note the hitpoints on jeb).

28sSRhi.png

all rounds used in the test are coded as "APHE", so they can penetrate but have a small bursting charge inside them to allow for far higher damage inside a tank then otherwise possible.

4mk0gC1.png

The 88s didnt penetrate the front at all on any target (200mm armor will stop a tiger's main gun), but they had no trouble going through teh sides and rear at shorter ranges.

vey5ejh.png

I think ive fixed it to the point where its 99% reliable.  there seems to be a very very small chance of 20mm getting through any armor, but its so small itll happen once in like 10 battles if that, and it doesnt result in the tank's destruction as a single 20mm HE wont kill nothing.  Most likely this is due to microscopic gaps in the armor of said vehicles (which is very hard to get rid of even in the best designs), but it still works sorta well.

Im gonna now rebalance the damage amounts per each caliber to make it believeable and then ill upload what ive done for anyone whos willing to test it out.  1st thing will be making any sort of ammo detonation truly powerful.  I wanna see tanks sent into orbit when they brew up...

Edited by panzer1b

On 2/9/2019 at 1:48 AM, CDough8 said:

Im running ksp 1.4.5 bda 1.2.2.2 PRE and module manager 4.0.2 and I am having an issue with guard mode where an air turret locks on to a plane, selects a missile to fire but only fires the missile if the plane is below 100 m. Any tips to fix this problem

Which radar/missile did you use?

Try aim120 with jernas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.