Fastest stock plane ever? Mach 10 plus

Hello fellow kerbals! Since i have been building very fast planes for a while, i have built a incredibly fast plane, the SX 95 'King of Speed', it can fly at mach 10, 3400+ m/ps which is incredibly fast! 

It is completely stock, and it flies by itself, without a mothership or anything like that. So is this one of the fastest stock planes that fly by themselves?

Here are some pics:wink:.

U7ebPh1.png

djsYwGS.png

hl9fwg1.png

but I only see a screenshot of 3432 m/s orbital... at 40km... so you've clearly gone closed cycle:

1yRNtP5.png

this one, also from a 3x game, just after leaving the atmosphere (atmo height in that game is 87.5 km

4So7jmf.png

still accelerating because its not to orbital velocity yet.

I tried that same spaceplane in a stock sized solar system, and launched a payload on jool intercept... that's fast...

if airbreathing doesn't matter, an there's no height limit, then doesn't it just come down to which craft has the most dV?

Edited by KerikBalm

1 minute ago, KerikBalm said:

but I only see a screenshot of 3432 m/s orbital... at 40km... so you've clearly gone closed cycle:

I don't think that disqualifies it from being a plane though does it? The X-15 was a plane and that flew "closed cycle" and extremely high?

Or are you suggesting the achieved figure is basically a re-entry speed?

Yes, i do change the mode in the rapiers, but the speed is not in re-entry, as i was going so fast i got a kerbin escape, i also ran out of fuel. I've also set myself a limit of 40 K altitude limit, as in my challenge, beating the record.

Edited by Jeb-head-mug kerman

3 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Well, i was editing my post to add more, but the relevant part is here:

"if airbreathing doesn't matter, an there's no height limit, then doesn't it just come down to which craft has the most dV?"

Well the height limit is obviously in atmosphere, though we probably should refer to the challenge section to see if there's a standard altitude for this kind of thing.

And no, in atmosphere more dV does not equate to more speed. For example, super long distance "tankers" have huge amounts of dV, but couldn't possibly hope to achieve a decent speed.  

Edited by MR L A

6 minutes ago, MR L A said:

Well the height limit is obviously in atmosphere, though we probably should refer to the challenge section to see if there's a standard altitude for this kind of thing.

And no, in atmosphere more dV does not equate to more speed. For example, super long distance "tankers" have huge amounts of dV, but couldn't possibly hope to achieve a decent speed.  

dv is change in velocity, if they have huge amounts of dV, they can achieve huge velocities. compound this with doing a bi-elliptic transfer to a low sun apoapsis, and you'll get a really really fast speed.

So if the speed in the atmosphere is the limit, is the craft allowed to leave the atmosphere before achieving its highest speed?

If so, this becomes basically a highest dV spaceplane challenge 

9 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

dv is change in velocity, if they have huge amounts of dV, they can achieve huge velocities. compound this with doing a bi-elliptic transfer to a low sun apoapsis, and you'll get a really really fast speed.

So if the speed in the atmosphere is the limit, is the craft allowed to leave the atmosphere before achieving its highest speed?

If so, this becomes basically a highest dV spaceplane challenge 

yes, it is change in velocity, but that does NOT translate to speed in atmosphere. you're forgetting about effects like atmospheric drag. 

And again, some of the highest dV values possible for planes cannot even break the sound barrier because their engines do not allow for it. 

Well the atmosphere as a limit is not really an issue if you reach the speed at 69.5km high. All that will matter in that case is TWR and dV to reach a speed before escaping or to stay in by burning radial-in.

IF its speed in the atmosphere (doesn't matter if you leave it first), then its basically just dV, as one can do a high speed flyby with PE dropping down to 69.5km...

as one can do a high speed flyby with PE dropping down to 69.5km.

At this point it becomes clear you've not read the rules mentioned above

All that will matter in that case is TWR

Ahhh, here's the caveat you forgot to add the first time round. Congratulations.

the caveat did not matter if one was allowed to leave the atmosphere first, and I was responding to your post which was responding to my post which was posted before those rules were specified.

Yes, but all my posts took into account the other posts in this thread...

And even so, of course it still matters, as without the adequate TWR you're not going to leave the atmosphere anyway.

Edited by MR L A

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.