rover is doing sick tricks

In KSP, there is a known issue where wheels do not act precisely round. They have "dents" in them that are 45 degrees forward and behind vertical. It's being looked into by the devs, but there are no promises as to when it may be fixed.

You will have to apply some force to get the rover to come back down to resting flat on the wheels. One additional problem with that is the command keys, and whether you have any reaction wheels on your rover.

If you have no reaction wheels, then simply pushing W should accelerate your rover, and that may be enough to reorient your rover. Or maybe hitting S to accelerate backwards, and then suddenly braking.

If you do have a reaction wheel, and you leave the controls set to the default -- then pushing W causes your rover to accelerate forward and also causes it to pitch down ... which is not what you want, because it tends to keep things they way they are. It may also be why your rover ended up sitting the way it is now. The easiest way to fix that is to go into the settings and pick some other key for "forward" and "back", for your rover. I like Home and End, myself.

If you design your rover so that there is a fair distance between the wheels, and the CoM is close to the middle -- then just the weight at the CoM will overcome the "dents" in the wheels, and the rover will fall down by itself.

Edited by bewing

yeah its got a reaction wheel but turning it cant set it down. i tried setting it down with bob but it flung him into deep space and then endo'd up again so I'm just leaving it alone.

on a related not, my landers gear werent working either on minmus. they would spring load down then shoot the ship back into the air. could it be a problem with minmus? the lander and rover worked fine on kerbin

3 hours ago, Dirtyowlnumber5 said:

on a related not, my landers gear werent working either on minmus. they would spring load down then shoot the ship back into the air. could it be a problem with minmus? the lander and rover worked fine on kerbin

That's a somewhat different bug with the wheels & landing gear suspensions. It tends to happen on low-G worlds -- but it's not a problem with minmus specifically. There is a cheat you can use on kerbin called "hack gravity" to lower kerbin's gravity to match minmus. Actually it lowers gravity in the whole universe, so if you want to use it for testing landers, it's best to test in a separate sandbox game, so nothing important gets messed up. But yeah, try hacking gravity on kerbin, and then tweaking the "spring" and "damper" values on your landing gear. You can often fix/minimize that kind of silly jumping problem by doing that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.