Can I get some Linux Help and Advice?

NewtSoup

Surprisingly soft pavement here :cool:

Looks like firmware files are missing in /sys/firmware, but i may be wrong, it is a guess.

*gosh* Ubuntu ...

Is there any chance for you to try the non-free nvidia driver instead ?

For me (debian sid) the package is called nividia-driver and it is in the non-free reps. Shouldn't be much different ...

4 minutes ago, NewtSoup said:

I'm almost tempted to give steam OS  a go though

You are drawn to the dark side ! Go for debian with gnome 3 and will work ! *jedihandwave*

:-)

Edited by Green Baron

Debian is tempting too - I am a fan of stuff just working.  16.04 was perfect in every way.. it's only 18 that's giving me stress.  I know Debian has a very slow update cycle but you know if stuff just works then I'm happy with that.

Was only half serious on the SteamOS thing - I like a proper desktop with no annoyances and with decent community support.  The Steam Support pages are a terrible terrible place.

Huh, I thought I was using a proprietary driver.  I'm using X.Org X Server Nouveau. - going to switch to the latest proprietary from nVidia

2 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Then i would go back to 16.04, if i know it works *shrug*

I'm seeing this as an opportunity to try new things. 

Glass half full and all that

Ubuntu 18.04 is starting to annoy me

Can't run the installer for nVidia drivers becuase there's a kernel module running

Reverted to X.org driver rather than nVidia proprietary - still can't install
Hold Left shift to start bring up grub so I can boot in recovery to install latest nVidia drivers - doesn't work
Update Grub and set it to boot in console mode - PC boots in X session anyway.
Press CTRL Alt F3 , log in, sudo service gdm stop - console crashes reverts to GUI  CTRL Alt F2 reveals Gnome Session is alive and well!

Do not use the installer. It is not even recommended by nvidia. Use the version from the repositories of your distro. Edit: because it takes care of a smooth switch between modules and config and future updates.

Try not to mix manual installs and repository installs, only if you know what you're doing, because it is the best way to confuse your packaging tool, like apt for debian based distros. You are likely to have problems, regardless of ubuntu/debien/mint or whatever install you use.

I run mint on a notebook because of need of an actual mesa stack (vulcan 1.1/opengl 4.5), that isn't/wasn't available on the other distros. I used mint because there i had the stuff in the repositories and there was no need for manual installs. But i will switch back as soon as debian sid has it available.

Again: a distro switch will only save you if you stick to the reps, or dive deeper into the upkeep of your system. But i could not help you then bacause it costs too much time ... sorry :-)

Edited by Green Baron

7 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

15:43:23 kernel: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.SAT0.SPT2._GTF, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170831/psparse-550)

This apparently is a kernel bug which can be ignored. Didn't look that deep into it.

15:43:23 kernel: MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list
15:43:23 kernel: Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e

The fix:

It occurs in Linux kernel 4.12+ versions.

Solution:
Enter the BIOS and disable “Secure Boot”.

Ref: https://medium.com/@maniac.tw/linux-bug-modsign-couldnt-get-uefi-db-list-14a014b7ed54

Edited by LordFerret

1 minute ago, LordFerret said:

This apparently is a kernel bug which can be ignored. Didn't look that deep into it.

I am not going to worry about it.  I waited 6 months for 18.04 to become stable before trying it and the following happened:

1) The upgrade messed my system up forcing a fresh install
2) The fresh install freezes constantly  and is harder to use than the previous version.

Canonical fumbled the ball and Mint has caught it.  I have unetbootin running and I'm just downloading a Mint 19 image to go on a USB stick :)

This is really messed up

I can't actually boot into anything other than UBuntu now.. It's done something to my mainboard that it bypasses the UEFI screen where I can go into setup or select boot options and just goes straight to ubuntu.

Anyone got a clue?

I literally power off.. power up and spam the delete key but I just goes right to Ubuntu

Reset your board to default and do not touch it again.

Install a system of your choice (Ubuntu/Mint/Debian/whatever), separate / from /home.

Install drivers FROM THE REPOSITORIES, no nvidia installer for example, but apt-get install nividia-driver (or so)

Does it work ?

:-)

Edit: *yawn* seeyatomorr.r.r.r.r..

Edited by Green Baron

2 hours ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

Glad to hear you like Mint, especially Cinnamon. I tried Ubuntu at first, but it was just so... ugly.

I recently found how to load a newer graphics driver directly through Cinnamon, thanks to Steam Proton.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md

Thanks for the link, I will make sure I bookmark the info.

You're right about Ubuntu - I liked it because it install and worked with no fuss and it's extremely well supported.  But it really is ugly isn't it? I thought with 18.04 and Cannonical going back to Gnome from Unity it would be nicer but no.  They've managed to keep their hideous look and feel ( 16.04 on G3 was lovely )  And when I tried to install vanilla gnome in 18.04 it looked exactly the same and had lost the nice features I had in previous.

Cinnamon is fine though,  I'm quickly picking it up and with Mint everything seems to be just a shade more reliable than under Ubuntu.  It's like Ubuntu - but not ugly and it's been fixed!

Bugger:

ruth@ruth-mint:~$ sudo apt install nvidia-driver-396
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 nvidia-driver-396 : Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libnvidia-cfg1-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

To be honest everything seems to be working with the 390 long lived driver.  I'll stick with that

3 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

Bugger:

To be honest everything seems to be working with the 390 long lived driver.  I'll stick with that

Fair enough. Enjoy!

(Have you tried installing it through Synaptic? It's pretty good at what it does.)

Edited by BigFatStupidHead
Just can't leave well enough alone.

ruth@ruth-mint:~$ sudo apt install nvidia-driver-396

Last I heard Mint had a GUI "driver manager" for this...

Failing that, you'll need to figure out why libnvidia-cfg1-396 can't be installed.

You might also try out aptitude, it has a different solver algorithm and a handy "aptitude why-not <package>" command for such situations.

Is there a reason for 396 ? (Vulkan 1.1 ?)

If so, pls. update your system before installing drivers. Such messages usually mean "i can't the new version, another one uses the installed version of a dependency and i would create ambiguities".

If you are content with a version that fits your installation, try "sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver" like suggested before. This is the meta package for the driver that will collect its information on install, at least on debian but i think there is no difference to ubuntu/mint.

You can try synaptics or aptitude, both are front ends for dpkg like apt is, the first a graphical, the latter for the command line. Maybe these have better dependency resolving. Or use apt with --fix-missing. The linux man pages are an invaluable source of information.

Edit: partly ninja'd :-)

Edit: Maybe aptitude must be installed manually. (sudo apt-get install aptitude). One thing should be mentioned: these tools create their own databases. Which makes it easy to kick them out of sync with the system if one mixes methods of installation. One should read the man pages :-)

Edited by Green Baron
Correction apllied

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.