[STOCK] Space Cannon - 2 tons to exit velocity :)

Tyr Anasazi

This is a stock space cannon which can lob 2 tons into space at exit velocity. Velocity exiting Kerbin's atmosphere is greater than 4.8km per second. With lighter payloads I have achieved up to 15km per second which is fun, however for this project my focus has been on making a reliable gun which can be used for practical purposes. For one thing, in order to operate at such high velocities it is necessary to activate "ignore max temperature" in the debug menu. 

Highlights:

• The cannon's firing elevation is adjustable to within one tenth of a degree (Mechjeb SMARTASS works very well for gun control although it's not required) 
  • It is possible to aim at and hit the Mun, or potentially other planets 
  • The payload can be increased for a reduction in velocity (for example as an easy way to lob payloads into high suborbit over Kerbin).
  • The gun makes a satisfying BOOM when fired. 
  • I have tested it with kerbals in the payload and they are able to survive acceleration from 0 to 5km per second in <1 metre (which is a lot of g's).
  • It is possible to fire the cannon at 0 degrees elevation and the payload will still achieve exit velocity at more than 4.7 km per second.

This project is not yet finished. When it is, I promise to upload the craft. Things left to do:

• Enable non-exploding large payload shots into Kerbin suborbit - preferably without debug cheats
  • Mount the whole thing on a vehicle - because who wouldn't want to have a manoeuvrable tank which shoots useful payloads into space?
  • Potentially mount the thing onto a space ship too (LOL)
  • Make a video or at least a GIF animation - because this thing is actually quite entertaining to watch when it goes off

Until I am done here are some images:

ClXaGzh.png

PSMGNQD.png

bLEZ4Gn.png

Edited by Tyr Anasazi

1 hour ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Is mechjeb required to use this cannon or can it be fully stock and still operational? It looks awesome and there are so many useful things i can use this for! like taking out the KSC at escape velocity

It works fine without Mechjeb - you just have to use the nav ball to aim.

7 hours ago, roboslacker said:

Is it a spring gun?

As in all guns, the mechanism involves a sudden release of potential energy, which is transferred from the gun to a projectile of smaller mass, causing rapid acceleration. (all will be revealed I promise)

I am currently a little bogged down in development of what I consider vital accessories, namely a 2-axis turret and mobility platform. 

6 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Also, since its stock parts, any reason for this to not be backwards compatible with older versions of game?

Any new craft may (or may not) be compatible with older or newer game versions. It depends on the parts used.

Hey guys, I'm really sorry for disappearing, but this project has taken me on shall we say... a few tangents. The Kraken has followed this project every step of the way, and it has not been kind. Many, many explosions have occurred.

As I mentioned above, I decided to make a tank-esque mobility system for my gun which included a 2-axis gimbal/ turret. Turns out making functional and practical stock turrets in KSP is tricky, to say the least. Again, many many explosions.  Oh yeah and tanks which behave like tanks are hard too.

It took many hours of work but I dare say that the craft  is approaching completion.  I won't upload the craft it until I've finished a short film about the project, so please be patient. Soon!

I am pleased with my 2-axis turret which has proven to be resilient enough to carry and stabilise a cumbersome gun on a fast moving vehicle. Just like a tank, the turret is able to keep the gun aimed at a fixed point as it manoeuvres over terrain.  I have successfully fired the gun from the tank both stationary as well as in motion, at all angles. Kraken loved this part of the development and ate my tank many times. However, even the Kraken is no match for diligent and patient testing.

*Everything* is still subject to changes but here are a couple of photos and a GIF which give a small taste of where I am now and what is to come:

Pr1fLiA.gif

2RezguL.png

H2hIgz8.png

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, Tyr Anasazi said:

-sniped for space-

When you release it, can you release just the cannon portion as a separate craft from the tank, or put in a tutorial on how to disassemble the tank without damaging the cannon for DIY? The tank looks awesome but im scared of the part count making it unusable on my computer. Thanks!

1 hour ago, nascarlaser1 said:

When you release it, can you release just the cannon portion as a separate craft from the tank, or put in a tutorial on how to disassemble the tank without damaging the cannon for DIY? The tank looks awesome but im scared of the part count making it unusable on my computer. Thanks!

Sure! 

I will release it as:

1) Complete system with all the current and projected trimmings 
2) The cannon with 2-axis rotation
3) Just the fixed cannon 

Last time I looked, the part count for the whole system is somewhere between 550 & 600.

4 hours ago, Tyr Anasazi said:

Sure! 

I will release it as:

1) Complete system with all the current and projected trimmings 
2) The cannon with 2-axis rotation
3) Just the fixed cannon 

Last time I looked, the part count for the whole system is somewhere between 550 & 600.

ok thanks!! The max part limit that I know of for my computer is around 200, so the tank would definitely doom it. Thank you so much :):):):):)

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.