A Petition to Add Emojis

Kernel Kraken

A Petition to Allow Emojis  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Sign Here!

• Would you like emojis?
    • Would you not like emojis?

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

On the forum. There's Unicode, but apple and Android emojis aren't supported. 

Well in that case, I'm against it.  I find them annoying, and I believe they would go against the spirit of 2.3b, since people have a tendency to use them in place of words.

I am strongly against that. They are fun in Whatsapp and Discord, but have no place on this forum IMHO. Written communication can be hard enough to understand (and gauge your fellow users "true" intentions/feelings/state of mind). If you add a bunch of "pictures" into the mix, people will start to use them for fun and as pointed out by @Geonovast instead of words... As some people on here already have problems expressing, what they want to say in complete sentences, I am strongly against that.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

people have a tendency to use them in place of words.

B7gxuTY.png

("I agree" - according to this website)

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but to me the main point of emoji's is to clarify the tone of a sentence ie if something is meant in a joky tone. And I think the current forum emojis serve that purpose well enough. 
Sometimes is seems like we're stepping back to a pictorial form of communication, which is why I love this forum so much, people here actually talk! 

13 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

i understand all this....but a kraken emoji! This forum is almost as old as KSP itself, and there's been a fair share of krakens in KSP's time.....

Why didn't it have one from the beginning? 

Okay screw actual emojis this is what we need.

Moving to Kerbal Network, since this is about the forum rather than the game itself.

There are already many emojis available:

kLysfEh.png

If what folks are asking for is more emoji... please bear in mind that when we're considering adding emoji to the forum, we have to consider not just how useful (or necessary) it is, but also what is the potential for abuse.

This is a wonderful, positive community, by and large-- but unfortunately, some folks occasionally seem to have difficulty remembering to be nice.  Some emoji are bound to be abused.  For example, a "facepalm" emoji would be perfectly reasonable to apply to oneself (e.g. "oh gosh, i can't believe I did that")... but you just know that it's going to get used snidely, too, to condescend to clueless newbies and the like.

Which I hope we can all agree would hardly be the kind of welcome that the KSP forum would like to extend to new members.  We were all clueless, once.  There's nothing wrong with being new and putting a foot wrong-- but it's really easy for a nervous newcomer to feel crushed when someone sneers at them.

It would also be the kind of emoji that would tend to pour gasoline on the fire when there's a flame war.  Why bother producing a cogent argument to refute someone's point when you can just "facepalm" at them?  You just know people are going to quote their opponent and then reply simply with a facepalm.  What sort of reaction is that likely to provoke in turn, do you think?

It's the same reason we don't have "dislike" or "laugh" or such-like as available reactions for posts.  "Like" is all we have, and "like" is all we're getting.

So... I don't think we're gonna be getting a "facepalm" emoji any time soon.  It may be fine for self-deprecation, but it's just too tempting to use as an offensive weapon.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

You just know people are going to quote their fellow forum member and then reply simply with a facepalm. 

FYP.  ;D  

I for one would not be opposed to a couple more game specific emojis.  A kraken one for just being kerbal, and perhaps ones of the various bodies.    But this is a technical game, and anything beyond that would have to reflect that aspect.  The Navball emojis are there because they make explanations using the NavBall so much easier to write and understand.   Anything we add would need to represent some technical value or such that is commonly used in the game/forum, to allow our communication between each other to be improved .

Adding emojis just for the sake of it is not a good reason.  If I want to get a facepalm or head banging emoji, I'll google it and link it. 

Edited by Gargamel

14 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

FYP.  ;D  

I for one would not be opposed to a couple more game specific emojis.  A kraken one for just being kerbal, and perhaps ones of the various bodies.    But this is a technical game, and anything beyond that would have to reflect that aspect.  The Navball emojis are there because they make explanations using the NavBall so much easier to write and understand.   Anything we add would need to represent some technical value or such that is commonly used in the game/forum, to allow our communication between each other to be improved .

Adding emojis just for the sake of it is not a good reason.  If I want to get a facepalm or head banging emoji, I'll google it and link it. 

This

2 hours ago, Snark said:

You just know people are going to quote their opponent and then reply simply with a facepalm.

24 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

If I want to get a facepalm or head banging emoji, I'll google it and link it. 

Or just kind of do a tongue in cheek stand-in, sorta use this emoji as a facepalm... :wub:  Then newbies and forum grumps will think we're showing them love... :lol:

On 9/10/2018 at 8:05 PM, adsii1970 said:

Or just kind of do a tongue in cheek stand-in, sorta use this emoji as a facepalm... :wub:  Then newbies and forum grumps will think we're showing them love... :lol:

That's... kinda mean. 

But the :wub: emoji is a great substitute for :facepalm:.

Emojis should be used strategically to convey emotion, clarify intentions (in some cases), etc. Placing them here and there in a conversation is fine, but I find them annoying when someone just spams five or six in a row.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing kerbal-related emojis, but regular ones in this forum are just....eh.

Besides, you can always copy paste them from somewhere else:

Edit: Apparently you can't. Never mind :D

Emojis should be used strategically to convey emotion, clarify intentions (in some cases), etc. Placing them here and there in a conversation is fine, but I find them annoying when someone just spams five or six in a row.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing kerbal-related emojis, but regular ones in this forum are just....eh.

Besides, you can always copy paste them from somewhere else:

Edit: Apparently you can't. Never mind :D

What in tarnation is happening

Edit: I have discovered that copy-pasting emojis into the forum results in weird lag and disappearance issues.

Ahem. Behold the results above ^

Edited by Earthlinger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.