A Petition to Add Emojis

Kernel Kraken

A Petition to Allow Emojis  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Sign Here!

• Would you like emojis?
    • Would you not like emojis?

On 9/10/2018 at 11:28 AM, Geonovast said:

Well in that case, I'm against it.  I find them annoying, and I believe they would go against the spirit of 2.3b, since people have a tendency to use them in place of words.

On 9/10/2018 at 5:50 PM, Snark said:

Moving to Kerbal Network, since this is about the forum rather than the game itself.

There are already many emojis available:

kLysfEh.png

If what folks are asking for is more emoji... please bear in mind that when we're considering adding emoji to the forum, we have to consider not just how useful (or necessary) it is, but also what is the potential for abuse.

This is a wonderful, positive community, by and large-- but unfortunately, some folks occasionally seem to have difficulty remembering to be nice.  Some emoji are bound to be abused.  For example, a "facepalm" emoji would be perfectly reasonable to apply to oneself (e.g. "oh gosh, i can't believe I did that")... but you just know that it's going to get used snidely, too, to condescend to clueless newbies and the like.

Which I hope we can all agree would hardly be the kind of welcome that the KSP forum would like to extend to new members.  We were all clueless, once.  There's nothing wrong with being new and putting a foot wrong-- but it's really easy for a nervous newcomer to feel crushed when someone sneers at them.

It would also be the kind of emoji that would tend to pour gasoline on the fire when there's a flame war.  Why bother producing a cogent argument to refute someone's point when you can just "facepalm" at them?  You just know people are going to quote their opponent and then reply simply with a facepalm.  What sort of reaction is that likely to provoke in turn, do you think?

It's the same reason we don't have "dislike" or "laugh" or such-like as available reactions for posts.  "Like" is all we have, and "like" is all we're getting.

So... I don't think we're gonna be getting a "facepalm" emoji any time soon.  It may be fine for self-deprecation, but it's just too tempting to use as an offensive weapon.

I completely agree.  But why is there no hailprobe!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.