KSP 1.2.x - 1.3.x - 1.4.x Complete Printable Stock Science Checklists

JAFO

It's been a long time coming, but I finally got around to updating my old printable science checklists.

The new ones are suitable for use with the 1.2.x, 1.3.x and 1.4.x stock versions of Kerbal Space Program.

Since many experiments need to be performed twice to get 95% or so of the available science, those experiments that need it have space to check them off twice. Each planet/moon gets a sheet to itself (except Kerbin/KSC, which needs 4 all told, and Eve and Duna, which each need 2) and is designed to be printed on a single page for ease of use. Each sheet also has some space for notes, which comes in especially handy for planning science-mop-up missions.

The zip contains 3 identical versions of the checklist, in .ods, .xls and .xlsx formats.

If there are any errors or omissions, please let me know. The only thing I'm a little unsure of, is one of the Bop biomes. It used to be there was a "Mara" biome there (as well as one by the same name on Tylo). The KSP wiki currently does not list "Mara" for Bop.. only Tylo. This strikes me as a possible mistake, as while a lot of new biomes have been added, and several re-named, it seems unlikely to me that the devs would remove a biome altogether. So I've left "Mara" on the sheet for Bop. If anyone can confirm it is or isn't there, please do let me know.

Inhi3YR.png

Download from here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1boxrIH8NZt8sarvIzCwnEo-2KX-PdlOC

Edit: Update.. some minor formatting corrections have been made.. download link remains the same.

Edited by JAFO
Updated the spreadsheets

Very cool, @JAFO!

A couple of suggestions, the second one a bit complex.

1.  Can you make it grey-scale contrasting so as to not use colour ink?

2.  Can you make some adjustments to allow it to be used as well with mods that change experiments a bit?

For that one, I've got a couple ideas to suggest.

A common science modification is changing experiments per-biome status.  To do that, you could extend the square-grid box pattern over all the chart.  Then you can take the current cross-hatch and just fade it a bit and overlay it one way or another.  That way, the cross hatch would show what isn't normally present in stock, but because the grid is still there, players could still use them in games with slightly modded science.

And there is this mod that modifies Jool and creates 4 biomes for it.  I suggest you add it as a similar non-stock option.  Hopefully doing so wouldn't be that hard.

On 9/11/2018 at 1:05 PM, Jacke said:

1.  Can you make it grey-scale contrasting so as to not use colour ink?

Honestly, this is extremely easy to do at the time of printing.. just set the print properties to grey-scale and hit 'print'.

The alternative, to set each coloured background section individually to grey, would be extremely time-consuming.. (the spreadsheets aren't locked.. try it yourself and see!)

To do that, you could extend the square-grid box pattern over all the chart.  Then you can take the current cross-hatch and just fade it a bit and overlay it one way or another.  That way, the cross hatch would show what isn't normally present in stock, but because the grid is still there, players could still use them in games with slightly modded science.

I'm not really clear on what you're getting at here.. can you describe it more clearly, or provide some kind of sketch demonstrating what you are after?

2.  Can you make some adjustments to allow it to be used as well with mods that change experiments a bit?

In general, I'm really not keen on including modded-in science experiments.. firstly, there are so many of them (none of which I use, and so will have to research them), and secondly, once I start down that path, someone else will want their favourite science mods added as well.. after which, people will start wanting mod-added planets included.. alternative solar systems, and so on... keeping them all updated could easily become something of a nightmare.

If there's interest, I could maybe come up with some kind of a blank template set, which people could then fill out with whatever additional science they wanted..

Edited by JAFO

21 hours ago, JAFO said:

I'm not really clear on what you're getting at here.. can you describe it more clearly, or provide some kind of sketch demonstrating what you are after?

I just downloaded your checklists and see there's an .odt .ods format file in there.  I'll see if what I suggest is even possible.

Edited by Jacke

So I revised Kerbin as an example.  To check for typos, I checked out

GameData/Squad/Resources/ScienceDefs.cfg

for KSP 1.4.5.  I'm used to digging through that file and its alternatives in mods.  This had me change a few things.

Anyhoo, I used alternating lines of background between none and Grey 10%.  For cells that are not used in stock, I change the background to Grey 30% and Grey 40% respectively.  This makes Kerbin look like this.  Just needs a note saying the darker two shades are not used in stock KSP careers.

5UHosfP.png

A common science modification is changing experiments per-biome status.

29 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Just needs a note saying the darker two shades are not used in stock KSP careers.

Ok.. so I finally understand what you were getting at...

It's common, you say? So people actually do that? Essentially, allowing stock experiments to be performed in atmosphere and space, above specific individual biomes that they normally couldn't? Thus making it so simple to gather enough science points that you may as well be playing in sandbox mode instead? :0.0::/:sealed:

Ok.. whatever floats their boat, I guess..

Tell you what.. you do the full set, and I'll be happy to add them to the original collection, and give you the credit for them.. both here and in the collection itself. Maybe add your name (and the explanatory note) at the top of the blank 'notes' sections.

Edited by JAFO

9 hours ago, JAFO said:

[Changing the biomemask for experiments is] common, you say? So people actually do that? Essentially, allowing stock experiments to be performed in atmosphere and space, above specific individual biomes that they normally couldn't? Thus making it so simple to gather enough science points that you may as well be playing in sandbox mode instead? :0.0::/:sealed:

That's not it at all.  (Stock KSP with the slider at default is relatively overflowing with Science.  Considering stock KSP has enough science within the Kerbin SoI to complete its entire tech tree.  Including all those KSC biomes.  And provides the Science Lab as a never-end font of Science.)

The goal isn't more science.  The goal is to change some of the experiments' per-biome nature according to some rational.   A total career conversion mod like Better Than Starting Manned (now gone) can change experiments a lot, especially before KSP 0.24 when science was the only way to control career progression.

Even outside of full-scale career conversion mods, there's some changes to per-biome nature that are popular.  Like these I like from Science Revisited Revisited, which were also done in BTSM.

Revised Crew Versus EVA Reports: Switches low space and flying crew reports to make them biome-dependant, while making the same EVA reports biome independant. No more hanging off the sides of cockpits to get that "flying at kerbin's mountains" data or EVAing every two minutes in low munar orbit. Somehow this makes more sense.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.