Do you play KSP only or are you into lots of games?

Klapaucius

Despite throwing way too many quarters during my misspent youth into Centipede, Pacman, Tempest, Q-Bert, Dig-Dug (I'm really dating myself here) , I have never been a gamer.  I was not into computers (my best friend had a Commodore 64).   I was dragged into KSP just about a year ago when asked to help run a pilot youth program using KSP to teach (very) basic rocketry concepts.  Now I find myself surprised to be hooked. To be honest, I think I am a bit too fond of this game and sometimes worry about that.  And while games come up on my Steam feed, the last thing I need in my life is another one :D.  I do own Universe Sandbox, but it has not held my interest.

So, of the larger community, how many of you are big gaming fans and how many of you are KSP players and that's it?  If you are the latter, how did you get into it?

Edited by Klapaucius
gaming, ksp,

I got my first classic Nintendo when I was like 4? I've been a gamer ever since!

So, although KSP is one of my top all time favorites and possibly my longest running game that I continue to play, it's not the only thing I play. (Except for about a year or so when I first discovered it and got super hardcore into it. Lol) Some other games I'm playing currently: Deep Rock Galactic, Monster Hunter World, Factorio, Brigador, etc...

Something about KSP is special though that's for certain, I can't foresee a time when I'd ever be "done" playing it even after the thousands of hours I've already spent. I think the community is a big part of that to be honest, I've been on quite a few forums but this one is the best. KSP is just such a rich game to discuss and explore, play and modify, I think about it at work sometimes, or before I go to bed, sometimes I waste hours doodling designs on a notebook in the bathroom, or I sneak away from work to check the forums on my phone. KSP is more than a game really, it's a complete hobby.

Gamer, tinkerer, occasional coder, and puller-aparter of all things electronic. They all kinda go together IME, and I've been playing games off-and-on since Wolfenstein 3D, IIRC.
As for KSP, In the last 10 years or so I've only been buying games that run on GNU/Linux. The list isn't that long and KSP is on it. Also, space. :D

Edited by steve_v

Since I'd discovered KSP in 2012, the games directory on my drive was getting more and more empty, until only KSP, Skyrim, Fallout, and Minecraft left.
Though its disk size was growing and growing because of mods.

Such self-gravitation making things to get spherical, dense, and compact..

Edited by kerbiloid

I play a small variety of games.  Used to be a lot more when I was younger and was fairly exclusive to consoles.  I wasn't able to afford a decent PC ever in my life until last year, so the appeal of consoles was pretty big.  After all, if you had an Xbox 360, and they released a game you wanted... it would play it.  You didn't need to know or care about specs.

Mostly FPS games.  Halo being the big one, L4D, Borderlands (which is probably the only game I've obsessed about more than KSP).  I played other ones, but they were mostly hack'n'slash or shooters.

Although my computers could run Sim City 2000 and Rollercoaster Tycoon, which I loved and still play occasionally to this day.  The original, not the sequels.  RCT2 is the first game with some re-textured rides and functionality of the first game removed.  RCT3 is unplayable.

I don't have a lot of games on my computer.  I purchased my current machine mainly for KSP, I played it almost exclusively for about a year, then fell off for a few months.  During that time was a bit of L4D2 (steam doesn't have a Linux port of the first one).  Then I did a full first playthrough on BL2, now I'm back to KSP.  I'm still spending money to fend off that evil yellow clock.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

MC is still quite a nerdy game if you play it correctly.

AKA "By yourself"

Hi! After having completed my Gilly Elcano just now, I'm in just the right mood to be answering your question! :D :D :D 

I don't play any games other than KSP, apart from an online PVP game called Shell Shockers (shellshock.io) where everyone is an egg holding a gun, and you have to shoot other people before they shoot you.

I first learned about KSP when I was watching space videos. I saw something from Scott Manley, watched it, then went to his channel to watch his other videos. There I learned about KSP.

I didn't give much thought to it at first, though, until one day a friend, who also happens to play KSP, said that I couldn't try it on his computer. So I set out, looking for a copy of my own.

And here I am, Orbital Mechanic, Viceroy of Duna, and Director of Planetary Science Operations; Ho Lam Kerman. :cool:

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

I've been a pretty keen player for a long time, although for the last 15 years it's been mostly FPS and driving games, with the occasional obsession (I'm looking at you Defense Grid) to break up the pattern.

The last obsession (before the KSP one) was World of Tanks, but due to reason I won't go into, after playing it heavily for a year or so, I gave up on it. Then a little over 4 years ago I came across this little game called Kerbal Space Program.

Since I started playing KSP, I've probably played less than 10 other games, and in the last 18 months, just one or two. Currently I've got 8-10 titles either sitting unplayed on Steam or unwrapped on the shelf over my desk. Just little things like Wolfenstein II and GTA 5.

It's partly that my gameplaying time has been soaked up over the last few years by the obsession with those little green creatures and their creations, but also I've been making art and writing stories based around the game.

Although I don't play the game as much as I did early on (I was clocking up 30-40 hours per week in the first 6 months) I still put in a few hours most weeks. However if something special crops up (as in the recent Dessert Derby 2018 challenge) then suddenly I'm back to 25 hours/week and wondering where my evenings have gone to.

Edited by purpleivan

I have my small circle of recurring obsessions, and try interesting things in between. Usually, I spend half a year on, a year off, playing a sequence of KSP, Minecraft and World of Tanks. And try other promising games in between. Never any "superproductions" though. Subnautica, This War Of Mine, The Stanley Parable, Valley, SpaceChem - usually indie, rarely older games by bigger studios. Finished Witcher 3 not long ago.

I used to be a  gamer. Used to have a new complete collection of PC Gamer (USA) mags from when it started up to about 2011.

But now I just play Minecraft, KSP, Civ3, OpenTTD, with some occasional Fragile Allegiance, Space Empires 4, Tropico, and Railroad Tycoon 2 thrown in.

KSP, Fallout 4 and Stellaris (restarting after the 2.2 release comes out soon).

I have played a lot of Civilization (1-6) in the past and previous Fallout & Elder Scrolls games. Also have a love/hate relationship with many of the Paradox games and Total War games.

I also have the odd hobby of performing hardware upgrades on Macs...

Edited by Tyko

I was a bit of a general gamer back when I was mostly playing on the original XBox, Wii, and DS (actually I had a DSi to flex on the other n00bs). Once I got into PC gaming, I played a little Skyrim but mostly Minecraft and KSP. Now I play some stuff on the XBox One (Rainbow Six, FH3, Life Is Strange, etc.), but mostly play KSP on my PC. I'm currently starting Fallout 3 and 4, and thinking about playing the original Sims. In every game I keep getting confused when the map doesn't open with "M."

In short, I was a general gamer until about a year ago when I played almost nothing but KSP, but I'm starting to play other games again now.

My first video game was Pong, and I can't even start to count the games I've played in my life.

KSP is in that elite tier of multi year games. Not many of those and I don't think I've stuck with any game as long as I did with KSP. And I'd not be all that surprised if no game ever matches it.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

My first video game was Pong, and I can't even start to count the games I've played in my life.

I can identify with this. Oh, and the countless games programmed from PC World magazine back in the days of BASIC:

10 CLS
20 PRINT "Helloooooooooooooo, world!"
30 PRINT "I'm learning about commands in BASIC."
40 PRINT "This text is being printed via the PRINT command."
50 PRINT "On the next line, I'll use CLS."
60 CLS   "Now the next word would be PRINT."
70 PRINT "Finally, on line 80, I'll use END."
80 END   "And return to PRINT"
90 PRINT "this is my answer."

Yeah, that was considered "fun" back in the old days. Once you typed in the three pages of code, then you spend another three days debugging the damned thing. Then there were the "real" games, like Pong, Centipede, and Galaxia... Like @5thHorseman, I cannot name them all... But I played a lot of them.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

KSP is in that elite tier of multi year games. Not many of those and I don't think I've stuck with any game as long as I did with KSP. And I'd not be all that surprised if no game ever matches it.

Yes, KSP is in a class very few video games ever get into. For me, there are a few others, such as Tropico and SimCity 4, until Cities: Skylines came along. Now, with everything that's going on here, I don't have a lot of time to game as I once did.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

IYes, KSP is in a class very few video games ever get into. For me, there are a few others, such as Tropico and SimCity 4,

I took a trip through Europe when I got out of college. This was not long after the wall came down, and I met some East Germans while travelling in Bulgaria. I wound up staying with one of them when I got to Germany, and I spent a down day (taking a break from sightseeing) with him playing the original Sim City (This is 1993).  It was a lot of fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.