Do you play KSP only or are you into lots of games?

Klapaucius

5 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I can identify with this. Oh, and the countless games programmed from PC World magazine back in the days of BASIC:

10 CLS
20 PRINT "Helloooooooooooooo, world!"
30 PRINT "I'm learning about commands in BASIC."
40 PRINT "This text is being printed via the PRINT command."
50 PRINT "On the next line, I'll use CLS."
60 CLS   "Now the next word would be PRINT."
70 PRINT "Finally, on line 80, I'll use END."
80 END   "And return to PRINT"
90 PRINT "this is my answer."

Yeah, that was considered "fun" back in the old days. Once you typed in the three pages of code, then you spend another three days debugging the damned thing. Then there were the "real" games, like Pong, Centipede, and Galaxia... Like @5thHorseman, I cannot name them all... But I played a lot of them.

Yes, KSP is in a class very few video games ever get into. For me, there are a few others, such as Tropico and SimCity 4, until Cities: Skylines came along. Now, with everything that's going on here, I don't have a lot of time to game as I once did.

This brings back memories...this is the first rocket I ever launched on a computer:

10 CLS
20 PRINT "       /\"
30 PRINT "      /  \"
40 PRINT "     /    \"
50 PRINT "     |    |"
60 PRINT "     |    |"
70 PRINT "     |    |"
80 PRINT "     /    \"
90 PRINT "      ||||"
100 PRINT "     ||||"
110 PRINT "         "
120 PRINT "         "
130 (whatever the command was to loop a bunch of blank lines so the rocket would rise off the screen)

I tend to concentrate on one game at a time, though I will take a break and switch to something else for a while, and sometimes go back to an old favorite for a while. Lately I've been adding small things to my Minecraft world, but mostly engrossed with Eve Online. For a chance of pace, I hop on Team Fortress 2 for an hour or so. 

12 minutes ago, Tyko said:

This brings back memories...this is the first rocket I ever launched on a computer:

10 CLS
20 PRINT "       /\"
30 PRINT "      /  \"
40 PRINT "     /    \"
50 PRINT "     |    |"
60 PRINT "     |    |"
70 PRINT "     |    |"
80 PRINT "     /    \"
90 PRINT "      ||||"
100 PRINT "     ||||"
110 PRINT "         "
120 PRINT "         "
130 (whatever the command was to loop a bunch of blank lines so the rocket would rise off the screen)

I believe the command you're looking for is 130 goto 120

Though to optimize it, you could do 120 goto 110

I did similar though for me, it was in Sears while my dad looked at power tools, my mom bed sheets, and my brother toys, I went to the brand new computer desk and broke out to BASIC from the display program (which was written in BASIC) and typed, quickly before getting caught,

10 print "<redacted dirty word> ";
20 goto 10
run

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I did similar though for me, it was in Sears while my dad looked at power tools, my mom bed sheets, and my brother toys, I went to the brand new computer desk and broke out to BASIC from the display program (which was written in BASIC) and typed, quickly before getting caught,

10 print "<redacted dirty word> ";
20 goto 10
run

Hahaha - and is that safe for a moderator on this forum to admit?! :lol:

I did something similar. On the IBM machine display at Montgomery Wards, I'd have line 20 read something like:

20 print "Radio Shack sells the TRS-80 for $250 and includes tape storage, a phone modem, and 7.25 external floppy drive..."

Those were the fun days...

Edited by adsii1970

9 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

My first video game was Pong, and I can't even start to count the games I've played in my life.

KSP is in that elite tier of multi year games. Not many of those and I don't think I've stuck with any game as long as I did with KSP. And I'd not be all that surprised if no game ever matches it.

You sound like me on both.

I'm pretty much down to just KSP.   The only game I was playing regularly before KSP was Wildstar, a sci-fi MMO.  The first time I managed to get a rocket into orbit in the KSP demo was about two days before I stopped playing Wildstar completely.  It lives on in the naming of a lot of my ships though.

Going through a computer game slack patch currently, too into golf (real outdoor golf).  KSP is pretty much all i have played computer game wise for several years, with a very occasional hour or so on CoD Black Ops (original) if i just feel the urge to run around and shoot something.  Or maybe a spell on Tiger Woods 2008 on the old laptop so I'm not leaving my wife alone so much as I do when I get into KSP 'mode'.

So, yeah, computer game wise, KSP is pretty much it, and had been since i got it in 2013.

It seems I am very similar to many here. I started with my aunt's colecovision and moved to an atari 2600 then a commodore 64. Video games and custom cars have been my hobbies but working on cars became my job so, now I hate it. And I was left with games. I have, without exaggeration, played thousands of different games. Currently, I bounce back and forth between KSP, crusader kings 2, and stellaris. There were some games I bought after these that I played for a bit(XCOM2, Fallout 4, ME:A) but they ended up only consuming tens of hours. KSP is a bit special in that it keeps calling me back.

6 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

It seems I am very similar to many here. I started with my aunt's colecovision and moved to an atari 2600 then a commodore 64. Video games and custom cars have been my hobbies but working on cars became my job so, now I hate it. And I was left with games. I have, without exaggeration, played thousands of different games. Currently, I bounce back and forth between KSP, crusader kings 2, and stellaris. There were some games I bought after these that I played for a bit(XCOM2, Fallout 4, ME:A) but they ended up only consuming tens of hours. KSP is a bit special in that it keeps calling me back.

It's interesting to see how many people here are of my vintage. I assumed I was the old guy in the forums.

4 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

It's interesting to see how many people here are of my vintage. I assumed I was the old guy in the forums.

Nah, there's a bunch of us here. I cut my teeth on Pong, and then my cousin got an Atari (no number needed back then) and we got a ColecoVision. Then there was playing around on some Apple IIe's at high school, and then my first PC (Commodore PC10--III IBM clone good-for-nothing piece of crap). Then the NES and Sega Genesis (the Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike series was a blast) came along and basically ruined my post-secondary education. Who would have thought I actually did need sleep to get through university?

Oh hey, anyone remember the handheld game Electronic Quarterback? Just a few red LED's and very basic sounds

Got my first modern Win95 machine (Pentium 100) when my brother introduced me to WarCraft 2 and have been gaming on PC's ever since. Right now I alternate KSP and Civ6

I've got a few games I play on top of KSP. Right now, it's mostly Dark Souls and Dark Souls III with some Factorio thrown in now and then, but there have been other games I've played to various degrees of obsessiveness in the past. Minecraft, notably, used to be the only game I played, and I still come back to it every now and then.

11 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

130 goto 120

282?cb=20180604064512&path-prefix=es

Stay very still....

At one point basic was my only game too, as not much else runs on an 386SX16 with HGA video.
Then I found turbo pascal, and the velociraptors stopped eating all my work. :P

Edited by steve_v

8 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Oh hey, anyone remember the handheld game Electronic Quarterback? Just a few red LED's and very basic sounds

I do , my friend had it.  That was the same era as Simon and Merlin as well.  The first thing we had was called TV Scoreboard from Radio Shack, which was essentially Pong. There was squash, TV tennis and hockey optionns. I did a Google search and found a picture

http://technolografix.blogspot.com/2010/09/radio-shack-pong-like-game.html

I never had an Atari but I had friends who did.  Missile Command was a favorite.

Basically I play KSP, Dark Souls 3, and Fallout 4. I really want to finish Resident Evil 7 but the beginning is so stressful because I refuse to play on an easier difficulty and the bullet sponge enemies are monsters so disbelief is too easily suspended.

Edited by MisterKerman

7 hours ago, pandaman said:

There seem to be qiute a few 'mature' KSP players like us on here.

My username comes from a game so old you had to type it into the computer from a book called "[More] BASIC Computer Games" (Creative Computing also published it a few times).  If you had a TI99/4 computer, you could buy a cartridge so you didn't have to wait for the tape to load, but that's not what I had.

I have a Steam account full of old games bought cheap: some played, some not.  Bethesda games, especially the Elder Scrolls can really suck way too much time out of me (currently finishing Fallout 3, one I somehow missed).

For the more "non-gamers", it would be hard to come up with a game anything like KSP.  Minecraft has a similar cult following and a "build like LEGO" vibe.  Civilization is one of the great all time games and has a similar "one more turn" similar to "one more design/launch itteration" in KSP.  Typically you want the "next to last" civilization as they tend to ship less polished than the previous game, and then require patches and expansion before it surpasses the previous one.  I'm stuck on Civ4 as I can't see any feature being worth giving up Leonard Nimoy's voice acting.

4 hours ago, wumpus said:

I'm stuck on Civ4 as I can't see any feature being worth giving up Leonard Nimoy's voice acting.

To me, Civ4 is the last civ game. Civ 5 was such a disappointment to me that I put it down and never looked back. I haven't even considered playing civ6. And, yeah, Nimoy did an awesome job.

1 hour ago, AngrybobH said:

To me, Civ4 is the last civ game.

When I play Civ, which is once in a while, I play III.

Other than that, I play Flight Simulator and sometimes Tetris.  I haven't played much of anything lately, though.  Kind of busy with reality, but I'm looking at starting up some more KSP when things settle down a bit.

On 9/14/2018 at 8:20 PM, AngrybobH said:

To me, Civ4 is the last civ game. Civ 5 was such a disappointment to me that I put it down and never looked back. I haven't even considered playing civ6. And, yeah, Nimoy did an awesome job.

I thought I was alone in the world. Admittedly I bought Civ 5 and tried to run it on a machine that was technically below Minimum Specs, and had an irritating habit of randomly crashing and staying crashed for days (never got that sorted out). Civ 6 was way too expensive (locally like about 3X what I paid for KSP )and required a permanent Internet connection to install (and play?). 

Was it actually Nimoy who did the voice overs? Quick Google (http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Leonard_Nimoy) says Yes! I was sure that someone was credited in-game for the voice overs.

But yes, Nimoy did an awesome job. 

Regards

Orc

Ok, this is gonna be a long one, the following list includes EVERY SINGLE GAME I've played within the last 3 years or I'm about to install. Multiple pieces of the same franchise are listed as individual games since they ARE individual games, Mods of a game are listed in the same line.

Games played within the last 3 years:

KSP (Now with TONS of mods)

Far Cry 1

Far Cry 2

Far Cry 3

Splinter Cell 1 

Splinter Cell 3 (Chaos Theory)

Splinter Cell 4 (Double Agent)

Battlefield 3

Battlefield 1

Counter Strike Source

Portal 2

Planetside 2 (at least I want to again now that I FINALLY have a new PC)

Need for Speed Most Wanted

Mirror's Edge

Left 4 Dead 2

Payday 2

Garry's Mod

Civilization V

Company of Heroes (pretty new to that) Legacy Edition and Blitzkrieg Mod

Fallout 3

Spiderman Web of Shadows

Borderlands

Avatar the game (another one of those badly matching movie based games but still quite fun to play)

IL-2 Pacific Fighters

Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Crazy Taxi 3

Minecraft

Games I have yet to install but will definitely be played (again) too:

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (This is a REALLY old one from before 2000 that I still find fun to play)

Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway (A former friend of mine gave me that a long time ago)

Resident Evil 5 (Same goes for this one)

Worms World Party

Worms 3D

Escape from Tarkov (Will have to see if the new PC can cope with that in its current config)

Games I have yet to buy (definitely willing to do so):

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

Far Cry 4

Far Cry 5

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

As hinted multiple times I finally made it around to getting a new used PC with decent specs. It needs some upgrading but not alot of that. Just needs a new power supply to handle the powerful graphics card I already put in (Can't use it yet due to missing external power connectors on the power supply, but at 350 Watts that'd be a little weak anyway) and some new RAM.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:45 AM, Klapaucius said:

There are indeed many of us +40ers around here. And I appreciate the fact.

Personally, I am playing video games since the old Atari and then NES too. Had a bit of a gap after the N64, finally got back into gaming for KSP. First got a nice laptop and then a decent PC. Nowadays it's PC only.

I play KSP most of all, love that game to pieces, these days I play 1.3.1 with SSRSS.

Now and then I may play some Ori And The Blind Forest for my platformer fix. Recently I got roped into PUBG by my son, developing a serious addiciton by now. But it will never replace my love for KSP.

I did play a lot of games since I got my first computer (Commodore 64) in the mid-1980s. However, before I got addicted to KSP in late 2013, I played a heavily modded version of Oolite (reaching a rating of  "Dangerous"). And before that there was NFS The Run, Far Cry 2 and the likes. Now it's mainly KSP with the occasional round of "Simutrans" or "Tropico 4" in between. Oh, and once in a while I return to the planet "Targ" and enjoy a round of "Mercenary" on my C64.

Edited by lodger

Another vintage player here as well. I can vaguely remember playing on an Atari 2600 at a friends house when I was a young kiddo. As a teenager I got a secondhand press-play-on-tape C64...and the rest is history. I've played so many games on the C64, PS1, PS2 and PC that naming them is just impossible. Since the PS3 came out my interest in consolegames diminished. So many "the same-ish" games. A gaming aera with more working-concept-recycling than creativity imho...

I play my all time favorite KSP since 2016 and have played it exclusively for over a year (that was different!). Nowadays I mainly play KSP and Cities Skylines. But I'm having fun replaying Titan Quest (including all expansions) as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.