NASA could start letting companies advertise on their rockets

Dfthu

I'm hazarding a guess that it's not even as bad as what is currently done - showing the satellite owner's company profile during commercial launches.

But on your head be it. If anything, contributing your product in an outer space exploration is the best advertising.

Edited by YNM

???

How would this be anywhere near worthwhile, considering how expensive rockets are, and that people would most likely be just annoyed by it? I, for one, can say that I would find it obnoxious. As the article says, it seems like ti would cheapen the agency. And putting the logo of the people who built the hardware on the side of it is a far stretch from selling it to the highest bidder. True, SpaceX airs what are essentially advertisements for the satellite they are launching, on the other hand that again has at least some relevance to what you're seeing. People would be rightfully peeved if SpaceX monetized their youtube channel, since they deal in multi-million dollar launch contracts. I think the same thing applies to NASA.

Honestly, this sounds like a plan to avoid funding NASA. "No no, we don't need to give NASA enough money to fund this mission, they can use advertisements to fund their spaceflights now"

EDIT: Oh, and they'd really be shooting themselves in the foot if they put ads on their educational broadcasts.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

10 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

True, SpaceX airs what are essentially advertisements for the satellite they are launching, on the other hand that again has at least some relevance to what you're seeing.

ULA, ILS and ESA does this too for their commercial launches. I remembered one for BRISat on Ariane V, ULA does this for commercial flights, I think I remembered them for ILS's Delta II too.

But seriously, if your company contributed for a manned space exploration, I'm sure you can produce your own ads that brags about it.

11 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Interesting enough, Russia did this once, although to be fair Pizza Hut did actually launch a pizza to the ISS.

Image result for pizza hut proton

What would be worse than going months without pizza? Going months without pizza and then being offered some of that stuff Pizza Hut claims is pizza.

Ugh.

Do they really think that they could charge enough to make any difference? It costs about a hundred million $ to launch anything, what would a few tens of thousands actually do?

On a similar note, I find it obnoxious when I see ads on business websites. I mean, I understand and can see justification when a news site, personal blog or similar has ads, but when a small (or worse, a big) specialized business slaps on ads on their site it just reeks cheap.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:07 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

I should add that IIRC the original caption for this was along the lines of “If the Shuttle was flown by NASCAR”

Now we just need to consider the distance of launch the speed and then compare it to a nascar race and see given the same distance who wins. They could add the rocket to the nascar race via computer and watch as the cars try to race against the space rocket! It would be like a partial return to the classic races that spawned nascar and other land speed tests.

Edited by Arugela

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.