• 0

Question

Hi! I just downloaded the Kerbal space program demo and everything's going well except one thing. On my navball, north is down and south is up. I don't know if this is the default way or if it's just a demo thing, but it really irritates me. When i press "W" the spacecraft rotates forward just as it should, but the marker is going downwards on the navball. If this is the default way, is it possible to change it in the settings? Thanks in advance! :):):)

Edited by fyrgeit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

If we could see a picture of your craft, I suspect the control part has been placed upside-down. :) 

Oh, and thread moved to Gameplay Questions since you are seeking help rather than offering it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I believe what you think of as "backward" is normal. The game is set up such that if you build a ship without rotating any parts in the VAB and launch it, the D key will rotate the ship the same way that it looks like it on the screen.

For a similar reason that mirrors swap right and left but not up and down, this causes north and south to look backward on the navball.

If this is the case, the only solution is to get used to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

If I remember; the reasoning is that the ball looks to you as though you were the pilot sitting in the seat - not how the world looks to you from the exterior camera view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I believe what you think of as "backward" is normal. The game is set up such that if you build a ship without rotating any parts in the VAB and launch it, the D key will rotate the ship the same way that it looks like it on the screen.

For a similar reason that mirrors swap right and left but not up and down, this causes north and south to look backward on the navball.

If this is the case, the only solution is to get used to it.

OK. I just find it hard to control it when I'm looking at the navball, especially when I'm in space.

 

15 hours ago, Mahnarch said:

If I remember; the reasoning is that the ball looks to you as though you were the pilot sitting in the seat - not how the world looks to you from the exterior camera view.

Yeah, I know that the middle of the navball is up, but it just feels weird when I'm looking at the navball. Maybe I just have to imagine that the navball is caving in and that "S" is to pull up. 

 

16 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

If we could see a picture of your craft, I suspect the control part has been placed upside-down. :) 

Oh, and thread moved to Gameplay Questions since you are seeking help rather than offering it. 

I don't think the capsule is upside down, since all my crafts have been that way.

Thanks for moving it. I think i posted it in Gameplay questions and tutorials, but i didn't know how to put it in only gameplay questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, fyrgeit said:

Yeah, I know that the middle of the navball is up, but it just feels weird when I'm looking at the navball. Maybe I just have to imagine that the navball is caving in and that "S" is to pull up.

That's called an inverted y axis and yes, you need to either rewire your brain to think that way or... Actually I don't know an option. Swap the controls? That would be weird and perhaps have unintended consequences.

Think of wasd as a flight stick. S is pull back, not "go down"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 9/14/2018 at 2:17 PM, 5thHorseman said:

That's called an inverted y axis and yes, you need to either rewire your brain to think that way or... Actually I don't know an option. Swap the controls? That would be weird and perhaps have unintended consequences.

Think of wasd as a flight stick. S is pull back, not "go down"

I've played some more and I have gotten more used to it, but thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 9/14/2018 at 6:00 AM, fyrgeit said:

OK. I just find it hard to control it when I'm looking at the navball, especially when I'm in space.

I find that looking at anything but the Navball in space always leads to bad things.   I think the ship is oriented one way in relationship to the camera, and it's actually the other.   But by the navball, up is always up, and left is always left. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now