Did you try the demo first or buy the game?

fyrgeit

Which did you do first?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Did you...

• ...first try the demo and then bought the game?
    • ...buy the game before trying the demo?

I found the demo on Steam, downloaded .18. Went to the website listed on the Steam page and bought .22 from the Steam store. A few weeks later, it appeared in my Steam store page for a $5.00 green light special, so I bought it, wondering if it  would be different than my KSP store copy. And the rest, they say, is history...

Jumped right in.  I was always intrigued by the game's mentions in xkcd, and finally decided to look into.  About 5 minutes of looking at a Google image search for KSP and realizing there was a native Linux version, I didn't hesitate to buy.  Hooked the first time I hit the space bar, even though I had ZERO clue what I was doing.

Tried the demo, got hooked, wondered if it was worth the money, decided to do a mun-land-and-return mission from scratch and if I was still into the game after that, I'd buy the game.

2 days later I bought the game immediately after exiting the demo with my pod splashed down on Kerbin.

I tried the demo and was not impressed.

I spent a couple of hours figuring out how to build a rocket and learned about TWR and DV. I realized that in order to play at a higher level than blind trial and error I'd have to do a lot of math.

So, I deleted the demo with no plans to go back to it. It was only a few weeks later that a friend told me about KER. I installed KER, gave it another go and fell in love with KSP.

Edited by Tyko

Demo, right after version 0.9 was released. I spent like 3-4 days trying to land on the Mun, but every time my landing legs gave out...
I got so mad and frustrated (in a good way) I knew this game was a keeper, and I had to own the full version, just so the Mun wouldn't win. 

Edited by Just Jim

In 2007 I dropped PC games entirely and switched to Xbox 360 and later Xbox One, so, I tried the Xbox version first. I thought the game was exactly what I was looking for, but the controller scheme was painfully awkward. I tried the demo on my work laptop and didn't seem like it would tax low end graphics cards like found in 2-5 year old laptops. Also, it was a vast improvement over the console port and allowed mods, so I bought the game later that day. I played for about a week on a 5 year old laptop I had at home before buying a new PC after getting tired of laptop cooling fans whining at full speed. My Xbox hasn't been turned on since early June.

The second option needs rewording, or it doesn't make sense: it should probably be 'bought the game and skipped the demo entirely". Why would I need to try a limited demo when I already had the full game?

Edited by swjr-swis
I "don't sense" at 3am...

KSP was one of the few games that I didn't realize I needed until I saw it on Steam for the first time.  I had no idea that space exploration and spaceship building would be something I could put so much time into.

At this point, it's one of my most played games ever, with over 1500+ hours put into it. :cool:

Resisted getting the demo, as i was pretty sure i would like it after hearing my kids and work colleagues talk about it, and was afraid of spending too much time on it, and cash was very tight too so I didn't want the temptation.  Eventually curiosity got the better if me, and I got the demo - and spent too much time on it - so pondered carefully over whether I could justify spending the sum that v18.3 was, and bought the full game.  Best value purchase ever.

I got the demo as an eight year old in 2011, IIRC it was the ancient pre-cost version (0.9, 0.10?) and loved it. (Despite being terrible) However I soon forgot about it and was caught up in the console hysteria surrounding the PS4 a couple of years later.

Near the end of 2016, around September, my friend told me about a game he bought last month called 'Kerbal Space Program' a semi-realistic simulator of spaceflight... I couldn't really remember the game, and despite being a huge space nerd, didn't think it was too interesting. 

My friend was persistent, however, and sent me the download link for the 1.0 demo, which I decided to download and play. Despite the large difficulty spike and cumbersome part selection, I enjoyed it immensely and succeeded in shooting a Kerbal to the Mun's surface in late December (Jeb never returned).

In February 2017, I saw KSP on sale for NZ$17.99, down from $41.99. I bought, it, fell in love despite having a potato laptop, and began to play. 413 hours, a new (but not much better laptop) and almost two years later, here I am.

KSP has helped me through some tough times recently, and despite the burnouts and the lag, it is the greatest purchase I have ever made. So thanks to SQUAD for creating a beautiful, upbeat and insane game that is still as fun now as it was in 2011.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the novel.

I tried the demo, got a crew capsule stuck in orbit, then designed my own 'claw' out of extendable landing gear, rendesvous'd and 'docked' with no RCS, just a terrier and a reaction wheel....

After spending hours accomplishing that, did some googling and learned that the full game had docking ports and RCS and IMMEDIATELY BOUGHT THE FULL GAME. :D

3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I wouldn't have bought the game if I hadn't played the demo first though.

That's what I told myself - if I can't at least get to orbit in the demo, it's not worth buying the full game.  But I was already hooking from watching vids, I think I would've come up with an excuse to buy it sooner or later regardless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.