KSP Weekly: Mapping with Magellan

SQUAD

38 minutes ago, steve_v said:

How's work on the insane memory usage and GC stutter coming along?

How about fixing the things we already have, or in this case had, before introducing more content?

Didn't they make a statement already that part of this part revamp is to reduce resource usage? And, GC stutter can be reduced via Memgraph. Its a great mod and you aren't opposed to mods, right?

I am happy with most of the things Squad does with these small improvements. Only because they are still working on my favorite game and I see a general movement in the right direction. Even if that progress has set backs, which is quite normal. That said, I am also glad that there is plenty of constructive criticism from the community. Feedback loops are great unless you are talking about microphones and electric guitars.

If I were to complain, I would complain about the heat management system, increasing multithreading(not even sure this is possible), and the wheel/landing leg physics(particularly the suspensions). But, they haven't said anything about working on those. They have only talked about the part revamps this go around and I feel generally positive about it.

20 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

GC stutter can be reduced via Memgraph.

Padding the heap simply changes the symptoms of the problem, it doesn't fix it.

Didn't they make a statement already that part of this part revamp is to reduce resource usage?

Optimising and reusing textures is the only way I can see a part revamp reducing resource usage. Again not fixing the underlying problem.

I am happy with most of the things Squad does with these small improvements.

I'd be a lot happier with Squad's "small improvements" if they didn't come with large regressions.

I'll "feel positive" about this release when I see it restoring joystick support on GNU/Linux, and more importantly, not breaking anything else. I am utterly fed up with every release breaking something.
I might even get excited about it, if it fixes some of the long-standing game engine problems. So far all I see is some kind of art pass that doesn't really interest me.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, AngrybobH said:

wheel/landing leg physics(particularly the suspensions)

I sure hope so.  Watching streamers resort to airbrakes (which are, some how, better landing legs than landing legs) for landed bases is face palm worthy.

See EJ_SA's streams.

Edited by klgraham1013

4 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I sure hope so.  Watching streamers resort to airbrakes (which are, some how, better landing legs than landing legs) for landed bases is face palm worthy.

See EJ_SA's streams.

Or like when a popular streamer tried to use stock wheels on an early career plane the other week: [link snipped by mean prudish moderator] (Language warning).

Edited by Poodmund

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

Sorry to have to snip that, but anything that needs such a warning can't be linked from this forum :)

Well basically its a VERY notorious Twitch streamer playing an almost stock KSP, trying to construct a plane for the first time, using the stock wheels, loading the plane onto the runway, the plane loading in and just continuously bouncing on the runway. 

Safe to say this streamer got very frustrated with the stock wheels and ended up just calling it a load of rubbish and giving up in front of about 1000 viewers. Unfortunately not great PR. :/ 

Edited by Poodmund
Grammar.

The asteroid explosion looks... dinky. Not saying it isn't a nice feature (better than it just going boing) but I expected a little more drama/excitement than the standard explosion. Also I would think the kerbal poof or some other non-flame based explosion would be better.

As for the parts - They look okay I guess.  I find it weird though that the foiling is on the top and the bottom of the okto instead of the sides. And personally I like that new color options for the mk 1 capsule are coming. Can do a lot with that....

10 hours ago, Poodmund said:

a popular streamer tried to use stock wheels on an early career plane the other week

Indeed. 3 major versions and umpteen "hotfixes" later, wheels have still not recovered from the 1.1 "new and improved" wheel physics.
If the price of Ackerman steering is 2 years of exploding, bouncing, sliding and generally janky as hell wheels, I don't want it.
After all this, the LY-01 is still unusable, and wheel behaviour is still changing in weird ways every major release.

10 hours ago, Deddly said:

you sound like me every couple of weeks when I discover Windows 10 has forced another update on me

Microsoft didn't release an update that resulted in regular crashing, then leave it unfixed for 6+ months while blaming someone else. Squad did.
As much as I dislike microsoft, they at least have a handle on fixing their screwups in a timely manner.

Edited by steve_v

Planes not exploding instantaneously on touchdown due to wheels would be nice. Also having the landing legs rocking 20* after touchdown would also be nice this could be down with SpaceX style legs and YES I know their is mod for that too all those people who are addicted to saying that!

Unfortunately I'm running on a laptop and my computer is used on more pressing issues so I do not have the ability to install so many mods that I could download the game 5 times over with the memory usage. 

And again, no news for Enhanced Edition. 

Having new IVAs and retextured parts are great, but only the PC players can use them. What about the Xbox and PS4 players? I didn't spend $50 on a game to only be stuck in one version with no new content.

:shrugs: looks good to me

as far as the issues with wheels/legs i think this is a unity thing. Correct me if i am wrong. I have seen other unity based games have the same issues with their wheels as well. And Unity is slow to make any corrections in their engine and if they do it is usually a major undertaking for squad to have to fix. Anybody remember when KSP went from unity 4 to 5? Wasn't an easy thing for the devs

Edited by Redneck

47 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

And again, no news for Enhanced Edition. 

Having new IVAs and retextured parts are great, but only the PC players can use them. What about the Xbox and PS4 players? I didn't spend $50 on a game to only be stuck in one version with no new content.

As a former console player I understand, being a footnote at the end of each weekly if even that... I would guess the content is coming but would most likely say another year based on the order of things.

16 minutes ago, Redneck said:

as far as the issues with wheels/legs i think this is a unity thing.

Of course it is. This is not an excuse.
Squad chose Unity, and Squad chooses which unity version to target for a KSP release. If they commit to a lousy game engine they get to keep all the pieces.

6 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Squad chose Unity, and Squad chooses which unity version to target for a KSP release. If they commit to a lousy game engine they get to keep all the pieces.

ok so what is squad supposed to do about it then? 

as far as you console players i feel your pain i really do but these are the guys you should be poodleing at http://www.blitworks.com/kerbal_space_program/

edit: lol poodleing (wasnt my choice of words but ok)

Edited by Redneck

5 minutes ago, steve_v said:

For some reason I'm imagining KSP on Unreal or Frostbite. Maybe we will have Levolution for the space center in a future update?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.