Steam Workshop Integration with Non-Steam version

A lot of the opposition to the idea of adding Steam Workshop integration to KSP (before it happened) was that only people who got it on steam could access the feature (and something along the lines of "go use KerbalX n00b") Would it be possible for the devs to create a separate free steam app for people without the steam version to use that gives access to workshop? 

Alternatively, would it be feasible to create an authentication system to give people who doesn't have KSP on steam to get it on steam?

Edited by 0something0

23 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

Would it be possible for the devs to create a separate free steam app for people without the steam version to use that gives access to workshop?

That's not a bad idea, although those opposed to steam in general may not like it, as it would probably require a Steam account to access, but that's kind of their own problem. 

23 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

Alternatively, would it be feasible to create an authentication system to give people who doesn't have KSP on steam to get it on steam?

Yes, it is feasible, as they already have it in place.  It was a one time offer for certain purchasers, and some early adopters still have the offer pending.  But some players, like myself, have chosen not take it up.   I don't think it's available for purchases made from the store after a certain date.   Somewhere on your account page in the store it will show if you are eligible for the transfer. 

Edited by Gargamel

Occasionally people post here to discuss a project in-progress, then post the result on Steam Workshop. (example)  I happen to have a Steam installation and account for Cities:Skylines (which I don't actually play) so can 'Subscribe' to the craft but could find no way to persuade Steam to send the 100kB text file over the net.  I was tempted to post "use KerbalX, noob" and probably should have (using different wording of course).

A way for purchasers from the KSP store to access Steam-workshop craft would be welcome.  There would be some benefit to Take-Two, in the greater community support for new Steam customers from old-timers.   I do agree, though, that we are likely on our own to figure out how to share between platforms.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.