[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Hey all,

I am having a rather aggravating problem, i have installed Kerbal Engineer Redux v0.6.2.3.

I then go unlock the parts and when i try go to slap them onto a ship they are still greyd out, so i go back and make sure they are unlocked, but now there is another copy of the parts. No matter how many times i unlock them i cant use the parts.

Any help?

Thanks!

Hi - welcome to Kerbal Engineer.

Did you get the 0.6.2.3 version from this thread, or the 0.23.5 Experimental Version? What you want is the latter.

Also, if you'd rather just have KER built into every craft you construct, try adding a ker.cfg file with the following contents:

// Add BuildEngineer and FlightEngineer to all pods
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

This only works if you have Module Manager installed, but you probably do since so many mods include it - but if you do that, you won't need the parts at all.

Hello,

First of all I wanted to say what a wonderfull mod!

I have a bug to report.

Whenever I am in flight and I open the VES tab, it blanks out.

Everything works till I press VES.

35492A2C1A5645A7251229A187BEBF154E46CABC

After I press VES I get this:

948F23E6CBB2AD43DC79AEB246E71BA40969F62B

Someone mentioned earlier that I have to change the flight_engineer file and change _TOGGLE_FLIGHT_ENGINEER = False to True. But it is already on true.

I hope this helps, or if anyone can tell me there is a quick fix.

Keep up the good work!

Hello,

First of all I wanted to say what a wonderfull mod!

I have a bug to report.

Whenever I am in flight and I open the VES tab, it blanks out.

Everything works till I press VES.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/469808806210538577/35492A2C1A5645A7251229A187BEBF154E46CABC/

After I press VES I get this:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/469808806210545643/948F23E6CBB2AD43DC79AEB246E71BA40969F62B/

Someone mentioned earlier that I have to change the flight_engineer file and change _TOGGLE_FLIGHT_ENGINEER = False to True. But it is already on true.

I hope this helps, or if anyone can tell me there is a quick fix.

Keep up the good work!

Try replacing the two DLLs with the ones from the experimental version linked in the first post...

Hey, Padishar, is it about time we ditched the "experimental" tag on that and kicked it over as the "official supported 0.23.5 build"?

I know you and cybutek have some synching up to do around the 0.24.0 build, but I think it would make for a good deal less confusion for the community.

In my case, KER doesn't understand Asparagus staging, as shown in this picture:

http://i.imgur.com/AbHqWqD.jpg

This is a pain, since one doesn't simply build non-asparagus rockets.

Again, try the experimental version linked in the first post. There were a number of changes in KSP 0.23.5 that cause problems for KER 0.6.2.3 as well as a number of fairly serious bugs. Everyone running 0.23.5 needs to use the experimental version to avoid all sorts of issues.

E.g. an example of a (slightly) larger asparagus design...

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Padishar

I want to chime in too and say thanks for the advice with the experimental version. It completely fixed the issues with the data not updating or breaking when adding certain parts.

I'm really looking forward to better compatibility with FAR though. Atmospheric efficiency is easily one of the most important data from KER and its presence is missed.

I'm really looking forward to better compatibility with FAR though. Atmospheric efficiency is easily one of the most important data from KER and its presence is missed.

I know that someone did make a fork that provides better support for FAR but it hasn't been added to 0.6.2.3 (yet) and I don't know if Cybutek has or will be adding it to the new version he is developing. Once I've sorted out the remaining issues in the simulation code I may try adding it to my branch for testing (but this wont be for a while). Basically, watch this space...

How does this calculate the time a engine can run with the fuel left?

I'm on my phone at the moment so can't explain it in any real detail but it basically simulates the burning of the vessel's stages. On each step of the simulation it works out which engines are still active and which resource tanks are being drained (and how quickly) and it drains all the tanks for the time needed to empty the one that will empty first. Then it repeats checking if it needs to activate a new stage until all the stages are done. The source code is all available on github and should be reasonably easy to follow...

I have a very minor interface suggestion:

When working in the VAB/SPH, I like to use compact mode most of the time for screen real estate reasons. I only open the full window for a moment or two when I want to quickly check something not show in compact. It would be convenient if the "Compact" button was in the same place in both compact and full modes, this would allow it to behave like a toggle to quickly switch back and forth.

Just something to consider. Love the mod and thanks for all your work!

I have a very minor interface suggestion:

When working in the VAB/SPH, I like to use compact mode most of the time for screen real estate reasons. I only open the full window for a moment or two when I want to quickly check something not show in compact. It would be convenient if the "Compact" button was in the same place in both compact and full modes, this would allow it to behave like a toggle to quickly switch back and forth.

Just something to consider. Love the mod and thanks for all your work!

This is a really good suggestion actually and one I thought about doing when I first started looking at KER but I never got around to it. It should be pretty trivial to do...

I am assuming that I no longer need the kerdlls.zip that was a fix for version 0.6.2.3?

You are correct... All the changes which were made in them .dll's are now incorporated into the official release.

running the latest release, there still seems to be an issue with staging. The VOID HUD correctly displays the Dv the rocket has while the payload is attached, but KER shows me the Dv the rocket has with the payload released.

Image link

Note also I'm using the built-in version with this MM code:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]] {
MODULE {
name = BuildEngineer
}

MODULE {
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

running the latest release, there still seems to be an issue with staging. The VOID HUD correctly displays the Dv the rocket has while the payload is attached, but KER shows me the Dv the rocket has with the payload released.

I'm not familiar with the mods you are using so could you give us a list? Does the staging of the vessel actually make sense? Can you do a screenshot with "Show all stages" selected (and provide the craft file if possible)? My prediction is that it will show a stage 1 with no deltaV because KER is deciding (probably unhelpfully) that there is no point in the first stage as the decoupler doesn't detach anything important...

Given that VOID actually uses the KER's vessel simulation code to calculate dV I would expect them to be the same but I suspect that even the latest release of VOID is running at least one version behind. Do you know what version of VOID you are running?

Edited by Padishar

Given that VOID actually uses the KER's vessel simulation code to calculate dV I would expect them to be the same...

Yup that's why I'm posting this issue because it puzzled me too. I forgot to note that if I move the engine and decoupler into the same stage, it gives me the proper dV readout on both Engineer and VOID.

My mod list is in my sig, and I'm also running the latest version of VOID. All the stages are shown in the screenshot, bottom right corner (I don't know what else you mean by "show all stages"). The vessel staging makes sense - but it's not a complete vessel. The test weight is a payload and this is actually the transfer stage that will sit atop the lift rocket. But it makes sense to VOID the way I intend it to - payload is attached to the transfer stage the whole time until separation.

Edited by Gaiiden

Yup that's why I'm posting this issue because it puzzled me too. I forgot to note that if I move the engine and decoupler into the same stage, it gives me the proper dV readout on both Engineer and VOID.

My mod list is in my sig, and I'm also running the latest version of VOID. All the stages are shown in the screenshot, bottom right corner (I don't know what else you mean by "show all stages"). The vessel staging makes sense - but it's not a complete vessel. The test weight is a payload and this is actually the transfer stage that will sit atop the lift rocket. But it makes sense to VOID the way I intend it to - payload is attached to the transfer stage the whole time until separation.

I mean the "Show All Stages" button in the KER Build Engineer window. It shows the stages that it thinks have 0 dV and may shed light on what is going wrong...

Just updated to version 0.6.2.4, and also updated to the Module Manager 2.1.0. After I did this I noticed that the config file:

// Add BuildEngineer and FlightEngineer to all pods
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

didn't automatically add Engineer to the pods, even with a fresh save game. Reverting to MM 2.0.8, and the built-in function was back. Note that the externally added chips still worked.

Any ideas?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.