[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Thanks for all the work on Engineer. I love the new version with custom panels, really cuts down on screen space for my go to info. There are, however, a couple of things it seems to be missing (or rather that I miss) from similar info mods as well as some minor improvements that could help with readability at a glance.

One of them is Biomes, which based on the talk above is something in the works, so great! Another is the possibility of being able to add separators to the info panels, just to improve readability at the glance (I like to have my ASL, Radar Alt and Ap up top, but they all look very similar and even though I know which is which order wise I still end up double taking a lot. Separators would help just give a little reference point for groups of similar numbers.

In a similar vein, it would be nice to have some short format Ap/ApT, Pe/PeT readouts (ie, displaying Ap or Pe and their respective ETA) on one line). It would be nice to be able to create custom lines like this by having a format for simple variables to construct them in the panel editor but at a pinch, the Ap/Pe ApT/PeT combination is the one I'd find most use for this with.

One other thing I miss from a similar mod (kdata I believe) is the colour coded display of your Ap/Pe and altitude readouts. I believe it went red for in the atmosphere, green for in space, blue when Ap/Pe are within close proximity (ie very low eccentricity) and another for geosynchronous. Relatively simple setup but it was a nice feature.

Anyway, thanks again for all the hard work! Looking forward to seeing what you guys do with the new revision.

One of them is Biomes, which based on the talk above is something in the works, so great! Another is the possibility of being able to add separators to the info panels, just to improve readability at the glance (I like to have my ASL, Radar Alt and Ap up top, but they all look very similar and even though I know which is which order wise I still end up double taking a lot. Separators would help just give a little reference point for groups of similar numbers.

Biomes is coming very soon, please do check at least the last few pages before posting, it's barely been 10 posts since this was made clear.

In a similar vein, it would be nice to have some short format Ap/ApT, Pe/PeT readouts (ie, displaying Ap or Pe and their respective ETA) on one line). It would be nice to be able to create custom lines like this by having a format for simple variables to construct them in the panel editor but at a pinch, the Ap/Pe ApT/PeT combination is the one I'd find most use for this with.

One other thing I miss from a similar mod (kdata I believe) is the colour coded display of your Ap/Pe and altitude readouts. I believe it went red for in the atmosphere, green for in space, blue when Ap/Pe are within close proximity (ie very low eccentricity) and another for geosynchronous. Relatively simple setup but it was a nice feature.

I would actually love that as an advanced feature down the line, once the functionality of the 1.0-branch has caught up with the 0.6-branch. I think it might be out of scope though, or just too complicated or fiddly to allow this in the interface. There already is a combined readout (or at least in the 0.6 version there is) for Ap/Pe, but I think only combining the altitude readouts, not combining the alt and time-to into a line. That alone would already be a great option though, and I'd also love that :)

Biomes is coming very soon, please do check at least the last few pages before posting, it's barely been 10 posts since this was made clear.

This bit:

which based on the talk above is something in the works, so great!

...sounds to me like he has read and understood the last few pages, so your criticism appears unwarranted.

I would actually love that as an advanced feature down the line, once the functionality of the 1.0-branch has caught up with the 0.6-branch. I think it might be out of scope though, or just too complicated or fiddly to allow this in the interface. There already is a combined readout (or at least in the 0.6 version there is) for Ap/Pe, but I think only combining the altitude readouts, not combining the alt and time-to into a line. That alone would already be a great option though, and I'd also love that :)

There is nothing particularly difficult about changing the colour or combining readouts (though the build-your-own combinations would be a bit trickier). I can't say what will or wont get added but I do like the sound of the colour-coded display...

Version 1.0.1 is now available!

Added: Part-less Flight Engineer.

Added: Ability to collapse the Build Engineer into compact mode from left or right.

Added: Settings in Build Engineer for compact collapse mode and partless/module Flight Engineer.

Added: Biome, Impact Biome and Slope readouts.

Added: Extra logging and exception handling.

Added: The original Engineer Chip part.

Added: "Show Engineer" toggle on the Flight Engineer toolbar.

Changed: Extended logging system now also writes to the standard KSP logs.

Changed: Extended logging saves next to the .dll file.

Changed: ER7500 & Chip part have no physical significance.

Fixed: ActionMenu and DisplayStack destruction bug.

If you are updating, you may have to edit the surface section and add the Biome and Slope readouts manually.

Edited by cybutek

Added: Ability to collapse the Build Engineer into compact mode from left or right.

After restarting KSP this is reverted to default.

Is there a way to save this setting?

After restarting KSP this is reverted to default.

Is there a way to save this setting?

There is, but the line of code required was stupidly not typed in *face palm*. It'll be fixed in the next update.

Heya,

Found an issue using this and mods such as KW Rocketry. Several of the Solid Rocket Boosters have a "minThrust" setting. This causes the values to be wrong when using tweakables to change the thrust on these.

In the case of the Globe I as an example, the minimum thrust is 75 and max is 149.

This means that if used at 50% Engineer shows a thrust of 74.5, while it should show 112.5. At 0% thrust, it should naturally show 75, but instead removes it from the list completely.

I already sent in a pull request on your github that should fix this, although my non-existent experience of KSP modding may mean that it's not the best way of doing it. Works though ;)

Heya,

Found an issue using this and mods such as KW Rocketry. Several of the Solid Rocket Boosters have a "minThrust" setting. This causes the values to be wrong when using tweakables to change the thrust on these.

In the case of the Globe I as an example, the minimum thrust is 75 and max is 149.

This means that if used at 50% Engineer shows a thrust of 74.5, while it should show 112.5. At 0% thrust, it should naturally show 75, but instead removes it from the list completely.

I already sent in a pull request on your github that should fix this, although my non-existent experience of KSP modding may mean that it's not the best way of doing it. Works though ;)

Thanks for this. I'll give it a test in 0.6 and make sure the KER thrust readouts match the tweakable readouts in all situations. Do you have any idea what happens (i.e. how the core game handles it) if the minThrust is greater than the maxThrust?

Haven't noticed any major bugs in the 1.0.1 version, seems to be working fine.

Loving the new Orbital Period millisecond level precision, very useful for placing constellations of satellites in exact orbits ; 5 millisecond or less margin of error, 0.000 inclination & eccentricity and the orbits match up perfectly as a single circle.

Thanks for this. I'll give it a test in 0.6 and make sure the KER thrust readouts match the tweakable readouts in all situations. Do you have any idea what happens (i.e. how the core game handles it) if the minThrust is greater than the maxThrust?

I tried it out. It appears that the formula Squad uses might be the exact same as I used to make it work.

(maxThrust - minThrust) * (thrustPercentage / 100f) + minThrust;

Basically, if minThrust is lower the maxThrust, you get a slider that works backwards instead. At 0% thrust you are at your minThrust, at 100% you are at your maxThrust (which is a lower value), and otherwise you split the difference.

Me likes when something you write works even in an absurd scenario that you never even considered.

There is nothing particularly difficult about changing the colour or combining readouts (though the build-your-own combinations would be a bit trickier). I can't say what will or wont get added but I do like the sound of the colour-coded display...

By custom lines what I was generally referring to was having a bunch of set placeholder variable tags for all the basic information vars, e.g. Apoapsis might be linked to $ap_hgt and time to apopasis might be $ap_tt so that constructing custom lines is as "easy" (I mean, I'm presuming that the base code renders panels in a similar way, this just allows users to format it for preference) as clicking "create custom readout" (or whatever), editing the name field to be "Apoapsis (ApT)" and the readout field to be "$ap_hgt ($ap_tt)". Whether or not they are coloured or not could either be down to whether colours are enabled in settings or could just include an additional tag for coloured version (e.g. %ap_hgt_c).

Like I said, I am presuming the panels parse variables and render on the fly as is, but my programming knowledge is relatively basic and I have no idea what hurdles KSP presents to this kind of approach.

This is just my two cents however. Engineer is more than fine as is, I just love flexibility and the ability to be as minimalist with screen real estate as possible. Engineer is still probably the best option in that regard. VOID has a ton of similar information for example but I am not in love with the way it displays from a readability perspective (not to knock the devs, again, it's still a great mod, I'm just a junkie for slick interfaces).

EDIT: Oh, and one other readout I find myself wanting as it stands right now is a "Current Stage Delta V" line. At the moment we have access to total dV or the dV of all stages individually, so if I want to see how much dV is left in my current stage, the only option is to display all of them. As far as I can tell, anyway.

Edited by rabidsi

Me likes when something you write works even in an absurd scenario that you never even considered.

Indeed, I was a little worried that the core game might do something silly like ignore one or the other (or even both) if they were the wrong way round but it does look like they just use the direct linear interpolation. I've added a comment to your pull request so I expect Cybutek to merge it fairly soon (though it may not warrant an immediate release if he is working on other things too).

I'm mirroring this post on the TweakScale, KW Rocketry, Infernal Robotics, and Engineer Redux threads largely because I don't know the source of the problem.

I'm installing my mods for KSP x64 use and had installed Kerbal Engineer, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, KW Rocketry, and Infernal Robotics (and their required mods like toolbar) without an issue. Then when I tried to install Tweakscale the game would crash either after the initial load or after I select my save file. I can run any combination of the mods without any issue but all of the above causes the crash. I've ruled out KJR as the crash does happen regardless of it being in or not. This is the last crash report I have:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxEDpG3bJ-bvS05oN00xQUxpU0U&usp=sharing

If anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong I would love to know.

I know that a lot of people seem to think that the x64 version of Unity has poor memory management and can cause crashes. There's also the problem where if you're running the game on steam and it's installed in your program files, there can be problems with windows permissions unless started in administrator mode.

Version 1.0.2 is now available!

Added: Separator readout module under Misc in the Flight Engineer.

Added: Adjustable GUI display size.

Added: Display size can be adjusted in the Build Engineer settings.

Added: Misc readout for adjusting display size in the Flight Engineer.

Changed: The rendezvous readout for the target's Orbital Period has higher precision.

Fixed: White toolbar icon by manually importing the texture if it cannot be found in the game database.

Fixed: Engines that have a minimum thrust are now calculated properly. (Thanks to nosscire.)

Fixed: Compact collapse mode is now saved in the Build Engineer.

That are some quick updates to the new version :)

There were a couple fixes that had to come out, so I thought about what else people are asking for that could be implemented in a reasonable amount of time. Adjustable size seems to be a big one as a few people have asked for that. Also a separator that can be used in the flight engineer was asked for, and because of the nice new modular readout system it was a doddle to implement. Once everything has settled down a bit, I'll have to release a sample or guide on how people can implement their own readouts and processors, as that's one of the cool features the new system can provide :)

Edit: If anyone has any thoughts on where separators (if any) could be placed for stock out of the box, please give suggestions.

Edited by cybutek

Thanks! Bumping up the GUI size has helped.

Not sure where separators would be useful out of the box. The stock groupings are small enough they don't seem to need them.

I've been trying to track down an intermittent Flight Engineer GUI crash. I see intermittent flickers in both staging and map modes, sometimes 2-3 in succession. The flickers are accompanied by this section of the log:

KerbalEngineer -> [Exception 17:27:48.0745080]: DisplayStack->DrawSections // Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

KerbalEngineer -> at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.ReadoutModule.DrawLine (System.String name, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Vessel.DeltaVStaged.Draw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule.DrawReadoutModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule.Draw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Flight.DisplayStack.DrawSections (IEnumerable`1 sections) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It might be related a vessel that has unusual staging: I stage to activate two RAPIERs at launch, and then use an action group to swap them with two O10 OMS engines. Afterwards, the Vessel display also reports the dV for the OMS in stage -1.

If that's not it, I'll see if I can narrow it down some more.

ETA: KSP 0.24.2 Mac, KER 1.0.2 – also saw the flickering with 1.0.0.1

Edited by Master Tao

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.