[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Hello I'm a big fan of what this mod does and I have a question:

Is there a way I can add more decimal places on some of the orbital stats for more precision? I have the means for editing the source code if the need arises. I couldn't find any options for this.

It honestly wouldn't matter as the internal physics of KSP for the local reference frame only has 7 digits of precision (PhysX uses single floats). On rails it gets 15 (the rails calculations are all double precision floats).

It honestly wouldn't matter as the internal physics of KSP for the local reference frame only has 7 digits of precision (PhysX uses single floats). On rails it gets 15 (the rails calculations are all double precision floats).

I only need to see the last 2 digits after the decimal for my Semi Major Axis so I can get a RemoteTech network that doesn't drift.

sory for sounding a n00b, but what is the Semi Major Axis

The Semi-Major Axis is the distance from the widest point of an ellipse to the centre. Semi-Minor is from the narrowest point to the centre.

perihelion-aphelion-semi-major-axis_img.jpg

Shouting out to all the magnificent members of the community that are using the most up-to-date KER 1.0.3... Not the slow coaches still using 1.0.2 and below :D

As you should know, 1.0.3 came bundled with an integrated update checker called MiniAVC. I would like to do a little poll to see what methods of update checking you lot are making use of.

http://strawpoll.me/2293370

Shouting out to all the magnificent members of the community that are using the most up-to-date KER 1.0.3... Not the slow coaches still using 1.0.2 and below :D

As you should know, 1.0.3 came bundled with an integrated update checker called MiniAVC. I would like to do a little poll to see what methods of update checking you lot are making use of.

http://strawpoll.me/2293370

Is there any way to tell by looking at the log? Because I for one have no clue what I said when I loaded it. I don't even remember saying anything :D I see stuff in that log that says it confirmed it was the current version.

Is there any way to tell by looking at the log? Because I for one have no clue what I said when I loaded it. I don't even remember saying anything :D I see stuff in that log that says it confirmed it was the current version.

If you have KSP-AVC installed then that takes priority. Otherwise you can look in the MiniAVC.xml file that will have been created in the KerbalEngineer folder. There will be an "AllowCheck" field and this is what you should be looking for. :)

1, survey done. I'm using the full KSPAVC plugin due to it being supported by more mods (I think. I only heard about MiniAVC today from either this thread or TACLS).

2, So I just realised, in 1.0.3 at least, the Engineer GUI can be temproraily hidden with the \ button (to the left of Z). That is amazing and sorely needed because Click Toolbar Button -> Hide Engineer -> click toolbar again is just too much work and takes literally years out of my day. So yeah, thanks for that hotkey! :)

The Engineer GUI can be temproraily hidden with the \ button (to the left of Z).

That is wonderful, though my brain froze until I realized you have a UK keyboard.

Minor bug: I'm getting incorrect TWR values in the VAB. They're fine in in flight, but the VAB reports TWR of about 59% of the correct value (calculated by hand). The thrust and mass values are correct. Tested in stock KSP 0.24.2 (Mac) with KER 1.0.3 with a few stock engines and tanks. Nothing appears in my logs, but here's the player.log just in case. False alarm :rolleyes:

Also, survey done.

Edited by Master Tao

Minor bug: I'm getting incorrect TWR values in the VAB. They're fine in in flight, but the VAB reports TWR of about 59% of the correct value (calculated by hand). The thrust and mass values are correct. Tested in stock KSP 0.24.2 (Mac) with KER 1.0.3 with a few stock engines and tanks. Nothing appears in my logs, but here's the player.log just in case.

Can you upload a craft, a screenshot of the KER window (all stages) and what you think the values should be?

If you have KSP-AVC installed then that takes priority. Otherwise you can look in the MiniAVC.xml file that will have been created in the KerbalEngineer folder. There will be an "AllowCheck" field and this is what you should be looking for. :)

Sweet. Survey done :) I'm apparently using just yours and said yes.

Can you upload a craft, a screenshot of the KER window (all stages) and what you think the values should be?

My fault. Somehow it was switched to Eve. I've made no attempts to go to Eve in 0.24 yet, but I must have changed it and not realized.

I am also doing a brand new install with the latest release, and I have been having the same problem. After doing considerable looking around and remembering back to when I had the problem previously, I remembered that if i run KSP in administrator mode it seems to fix the problem. I am running it out of my programs(86) directory. Its also worth noting i am running blizzy's toolbar, I dont know if engineer works without it anymore.

Hey guys. I've been playing since before docking was introduced. One of my favorite mods is the flight engineer. It's worked perfectly up until 0.23.5. But now that I've upgraded to 0.24 it no longer works :(

The only mod in GameData is the flight engineer. I never had a problem installing any mods before hand but I can't for the life of me get this one to work. The parts show up but they don't do anything at all. There's nothing to indicate any type of toolbar that normally pops up in earlier versions.

Here's what VAB looks like: http://i.imgur.com/tpKaSaw.jpg

And here's my file tree: http://i.imgur.com/emCaeiO.png

I'm running KSP version 0.24.2. KER version is 0.6.2.9 and is the only mod I'm running. I completely deleted my KSP folder and started with a fresh install and it's still not working. Any help?

I am also doing a brand new install with the latest release, and I have been having the same problem. After doing considerable looking around and remembering back to when I had the problem previously, I remembered that if i run KSP in administrator mode it seems to fix the problem. I am running it out of my programs(86) directory. Its also worth noting i am running blizzy's toolbar, I dont know if engineer works without it anymore.

Haha, running as administrator did the trick! Thanks Treblig. And thanks to anyone else who helped out too. :)

Thanks for the mod Cybutek, I think anyone who started using it kinda can't control/build a vessel without it anymore.

Is partial integration with FAR planned/thought about? I get that KER already recognises FAR in use (no atmospheric stats), would it be possible to pull some actual data from FAR flight info module? For less spontaneous disassembling and more organised screen :)

Also thanking Cybutek for KER. Gives me a reason not to use MJ but still have all the statistics I want to know. :)

I finally did manage to break KER with the fun near future ginormous hydrogen tanks and variable ISP engines..

Yeah, I'm not surprised KER gave up on that one. I think I would have too.

RiBEv2q.jpg

Also thanking Cybutek for KER. Gives me a reason not to use MJ but still have all the statistics I want to know. :)

I finally did manage to break KER with the fun near future ginormous hydrogen tanks and variable ISP engines..

Yeah, I'm not surprised KER gave up on that one. I think I would have too.

http://i.imgur.com/RiBEv2q.jpg

Hmmm, I'm a bit surprised, PartSim.SetupAttachNodes has three calls to that Dictionary.TryGetValue function but they are all guarded to prevent calling it with a null key so I don't see how that exception can be happening. Are you able to repeat it? Can you upload a craft file (preferably as simple as possible) that goes wrong? Do you remember what you did, e.g. why that ghost tank is sat there? If it isn't easily repeatable then, if you do see it again, can you right click on the KER part (or pod/probe core if using an MM tweak) and hit the "Log Sim" button. Then wait for a few seconds and then quit and upload your output_log.txt for me to take a look at...

Edit: Oops, I tell a lie... I was looking at an old branch from before I changed how the fuel lines were handled... The latest dev version has only two calls to TryGetValue but one is unguarded. I'll push a fix and new dev version asap...

Edited by Padishar

Hmmm, I'm a bit surprised, PartSim.SetupAttachNodes has three calls to that Dictionary.TryGetValue function but they are all guarded to prevent calling it with a null key so I don't see how that exception can be happening. Are you able to repeat it? Can you upload a craft file (preferably as simple as possible) that goes wrong? Do you remember what you did, e.g. why that ghost tank is sat there? If it isn't easily repeatable then, if you do see it again, can you right click on the KER part (or pod/probe core if using an MM tweak) and hit the "Log Sim" button. Then wait for a few seconds and then quit and upload your output_log.txt for me to take a look at...

Edit: Oops, I tell a lie... I was looking at an old branch from before I changed how the fuel lines were handled... The latest dev version has only two calls to TryGetValue but one is unguarded. I'll push a fix and new dev version asap...

I'll try to replicate it, but it's a really complicated craft first off. The bit at the bottom is a lander on its own, and I was designing a drive stage for it (at the top). I was attaching three radial hydrogen tanks to the drive stage when that happened. KER gave up just when I hovered the tank over the attach node, so I left it as a ghost part for that screenshot.

Like I said I'll try to replicate, but I can't guarantee KER will perform the same way.

EDIT: Ah, it appears I was poking holes in the one part of KER you forgot to put duct tape over :D I'm using the latest build, was going to update to the unofficial build in the Kopernicus thread, but if there's a new official one coming soon-ish I shall wait. :) No big deal either way, KER has always understood even my most outlandish builds. Just that one last night got it confused. I'm not even sure what I did that annoyed it that much.

Hooray I found a thing.. that you fixed. Thus I am useful. /proud I broke your toy

Thanks for catching that by the way. I was more amused at it than anything.

Edited by Immashift

Version 1.0.4 is now available!

Added: Better stock toolbar support in the flight engineer.

Added: Dynamically generated celestial body library for supporting add-ons that modify the star system.

Changed: Reference bodies are now listed with a nestable menu system.

Changed: Extended logging system has been improved.

Changed: Swapped out integrated MiniAVC in place of the official bundle version.

Changed: Increased general distance precision to 1 decimal place.

Changed: Increased Semi-major/minor axis precision to 3 decimal places.

Fixed: Impact altitude was mistakenly formatted as an angle, it is now formatted correctly as a distance.

Is it just me, or is KER not working? I downloaded, unzipped it, and threw the folder on to the game data file on ksp. But for some reason, I have the parts to put on my ship, but they have no effect. I don't get the pop up menu with all the information on it....

Anyone have a fix?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.