[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Tried both (overwrite-existing-1.0.4 and delete 1.0.4 then install 1.0.5 clean), both give the same crash

Will try just updating the .dll's from 1.0.5 into 1.0.4 [Edit] Nope, this doesn't work either.

This is looking like a 64bit Unity issue though why it only happens with 1.0.5 is a bit strange. Can you try it with 1.0.5 but remove one of your larger part mods? The last address in the call stack of 0x0000000204E60000 is a bit suspicious as it is above the 32 bit 4gig boundary with no identifiable DLL at that location. All the other code Mono is running is well under the 4gug boundary.

Is there any real difference between ER-7500 and Chip#1 apart from the model?

If you're talking about v1.0 then, no, there isn't any difference, though they are only needed if you have the option set to require a part for the flight engineer. For version 0.6, the ER-7500 does both build and flight. One of the chips does build and flight and the other chip just does build.

Does KER show how much lift a plane has in the SPH/VAB?

No. The lift depends on several flight variables so it would have to allow the user some control over these to be useful. Also, the code would have to handle FAR (and NEAR and possibly other mods that affect the aerodynamics) so that complicates it further. I wouldn't totally rule it out but I know that FAR allows you to show all sorts of SPH info so it is only really useful for stock.

Where can I find details? I haven't spotted any in provided links :(

The differences are:

1.0 does not include the EngineerChipFlight part, only ER7500 and EngineerChip which are also only required when not running part-less.

1.0 does not use the BuildEngineer part module as it's always part-less.

The FlightEngineer module is now called FlightEngineerModule.

If your crafts contain parts from 0.6 and do not find them, or the associated part modules, KSP may delete them. The save file tweaking should just be a simple find/replace in notepad changing EngineerChipFlight to EngineerChip, removing 'name = BuildEngineer' and changing 'name = FlightEngineer' to 'name = FlightEngineerModule'. I have not tested this out though, so cannot guarantee any form of success, only that it's technically possible to tweak the save file so it could be compatible. Remember that backing up your save file is always recommended before trying anything like this this out though.

Has someone has actually tried making a 0.6 save compatible with 1.0? And can either confirm my tweak, or say it's a load of codswallop and recommend a better way? :)

Has someone has actually tried making a 0.6 save compatible with 1.0? And can either confirm my tweak, or say it's a load of codswallop and recommend a better way? :)

I fixed one save just after the first release of 1.0 but this was a little while back now. The save only contained the build and flight chip version and I wanted to completely remove the parts from all the vessels rather than change them over to the other part. This is fairly easy with surface attached parts which don't have anything attached to them but it is a little involved (you really need to do all the .sfs and .craft files in the whole save folder) so I will write up some details about doing it later...

Thanks cybutek and Padishar, I simply removed all trace of KER in my saves and ships and 1.0.5 works perfect now :)

And that's some amazing stuff! My own customized window is what I wanted sooooo much.

Also my suggestion would be a toggleable "appear in control bar" for group (or autohide if short name left empty). Too much buttons too few space :( GUI space at least.

Thanks again for that wonderful addon. I can't play without it at all.

EDIT: Actually, Kraken ate all of my ships. And broke a lot of parts. Hm. Maybe deleted one more bracket than needed, will try again later.

Edited by dzikakulka

This is looking like a 64bit Unity issue though why it only happens with 1.0.5 is a bit strange. Can you try it with 1.0.5 but remove one of your larger part mods? The last address in the call stack of 0x0000000204E60000 is a bit suspicious as it is above the 32 bit 4gig boundary with no identifiable DLL at that location. All the other code Mono is running is well under the 4gug boundary.

It never recovered after that, no idea why as that was the only change, switching back to 1.0.4 or not it just always crashed after then, either during startup or on load to space center

I pulled out MKS/OKS/Karbonite and it doesn't crash any more, I'll try updating to 1.0.5 now :\

[Edit] Apparently not, with 1.0.5 I get 100% crash when resuming a game / loading to space center (startup goes fine)

[Offending output_log + 2nd output_log]

[Edit2] The crash line regularly points to KAC, maybe KER 1.0.5 and K.A.C. 2.7.8.2 aren't getting on?

[Edit3] Downgraded to KER 1.0.4 again, no crash, why KSP why!

Edited by NoMrBond

I think I'm doing something wrong, but I'm using KER 1.0.5 and the Terminal Velocity shown on Surface Tab reads 0.00 m/s all the time!

Is it supposed to show only under certain circunstances? If not, what should I do to correct it?

I think I'm doing something wrong, but I'm using KER 1.0.5 and the Terminal Velocity shown on Surface Tab reads 0.00 m/s all the time!

Is it supposed to show only under certain circunstances? If not, what should I do to correct it?

Are you using NEAR or FAR? I believe those don't work with the Terminal Velocity function in KFE

It never recovered after that, no idea why as that was the only change, switching back to 1.0.4 or not it just always crashed after then, either during startup or on load to space center

I pulled out MKS/OKS/Karbonite and it doesn't crash any more, I'll try updating to 1.0.5 now :\

[Edit] Apparently not, with 1.0.5 I get 100% crash when resuming a game / loading to space center (startup goes fine)

[Offending output_log + 2nd output_log]

[Edit2] The crash line regularly points to KAC, maybe KER 1.0.5 and K.A.C. 2.7.8.2 aren't getting on?

[Edit3] Downgraded to KER 1.0.4 again, no crash, why KSP why!

It is the joy of 64Bit - us windows users get to feel it now, but the Linux users had similar experiences at first as well. The stability in Linux is much better now than it was in the past. I've got my fingers crossed we see the same kind of improvements over time for the Windows version or my mod heavy life will suffer :)

It is the joy of 64Bit - us windows users get to feel it now, but the Linux users had similar experiences at first as well. The stability in Linux is much better now than it was in the past. I've got my fingers crossed we see the same kind of improvements over time for the Windows version or my mod heavy life will suffer :)

The mod abuse is pretty high there I have to admit, after pulling out OKS/MKS/Karbonite there are still 57 mods running :P

The mod abuse is pretty high there I have to admit, after pulling out OKS/MKS/Karbonite there are still 57 mods running :P

I prefer to call that PC stress testing :) Its pretty epic how far you can Mod KSP - but thats a bit off topic for the KER thread

Are you using NEAR or FAR? I believe those don't work with the Terminal Velocity function in KFE

That's true: I use NEAR. In this case, what should I do? There is no way to get Terminal Velocity in KER (at least on current version)?

NEAR doesn't really have terminal velocity. Essentially, if you can control your ship you're fine.

I don't think that's quite right, even stock aero has terminal velocity. I'd suggest jlcarneiro upgrade to FAR and turn off aero damage, it's almost the same thing but gives you more information (much more, if you want it).

I don't think that's quite right, even stock aero has terminal velocity. I'd suggest jlcarneiro upgrade to FAR and turn off aero damage, it's almost the same thing but gives you more information (much more, if you want it).

I walked away from my computer and realized I misspoke.

What I really should have said was, When you're using NEAR going faster than terminal velocity doesn't make your rocket less efficient like it does in stock. It doesn't seem possible to get your ship going so fast that going faster will be less efficient (at least during a climb to orbit), so as long as you're not going so fast you lose control, you're fine.

5thHorseman is correct in regards that terminal velocity is kind of a pointless readout with FAR/NEAR. It goes up so quick that you reach maxQ and the vessel starts to dismantle its self, or becomes completely uncontrollable well before reaching it. If you do manage to launch and maintain terminal velocity with an intact vessel, it will be experiencing atmospheric shock waves and re-entry heating effects practically all the way up.

As a side note, I am planning on creating readouts for practically all the FAR data which it provides through its API. NEAR on the other hand does not have an API to hook into, so it's not possible to retrieve pre-calculated data. The time and effort required to create readouts for use with NEAR is just not worth it, and the time could be better spent on other things. When I start working on the FAR stuff, I may ask Ferram if he can create an API for NEAR, but don't hold your breath. NEAR after all is a cut down version of FAR. So I wouldn't blame him for recommending people use FAR if they require the extra data.

Version 1.0.6 is now available!

Added: Time and Angle to equatorial ascending/descending nodes in the orbital display.

Added: Time and Angle to relative ascending/descending nodes in the rendezvous display.

Added: Overlay tooltip information delay adjustment slider to the Build Engineer settings.

Added: Ability to rename the stock displays in the Flight Engineer.

Changed: Build Engineer is now hidden when not in parts view.

Changed: Custom display panels will only show in the control bar if an abbreviation is set.

Changed: Licensing and readme structures are now more verbose to satisfy the new add-on rules.

Fixed: Updated MiniAVC to v1.0.2.1 (fixes remote check bug as well as other minor bugs).

Version 0.6.2.10 is now available!

Added: More verbose licensing to stay within the updated add-on rules.

Changed: Separated out the changes from the readme file allowing for future KSP-AVC changelog support.

Padishar's Fixes:

Various bugs in the simulation logic.

Curiousity question, I've looked but maybe I missed it. Is there a reason that the information shows up even tho I haven't attached a device to the ship? Even going into the settings and turning on 'module' required leaves me with the engineering information w/o attaching a device.

Curiousity question, I've looked but maybe I missed it. Is there a reason that the information shows up even tho I haven't attached a device to the ship? Even going into the settings and turning on 'module' required leaves me with the engineering information w/o attaching a device.

In the new version you get the info no matter what in the VAB, but need the module for in-flight readings (Unless like me you have a modulemanager config that grants in-flight readings to all command modules).

And yes, I realized I used the word "Module" in 3 different ways in that sentence. :)

With KER 1.0, it is always active and part-less in the VAB/SPH. It can be toggled on/off using the toolbar button. It did not make sense to have this moduled because it just forces the player to attach and detach a parts without any change in gameplay, only tedium. The setting for part-less and module mode is for the Flight Engineer only. Having the Flight Engineer in module mode adds a difficulty setting, as it costs money to place the parts and it's not just blanket on, and thought about placement is required. It is an option, and an option that I'm sure most people will never use, but it's there for anyone who wants a use for the awesome ER7500 model :D

This is really strange; since recently whenever I have KE installed, my game actually has different, random crashes whenever I load it up. It happens on both v 1.0.5 and 1.0.6, and it's only started happening recently.

Few of the output logs:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74775048/output%20logs/ksp/output_log.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74775048/output%20logs/ksp/output_log%20%283%29.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74775048/output%20logs/ksp/output_log%20%282%29.txt

Edited by Jaxx

Okay, so I finally managed to convert my game from 0.6.x to 1.0.x and wanted to share a method.

You of course have to delete all KER parts from ships in flight so they won't break. Deleting it from crafts in SPH and VAB is also needed if you want to load them afterwards.

First thing first - you shouldn't try to delete parts with simple notepad save editing. While deleting "leaf parts" (surface attached, not linked to any other parts) may seem easy it totally can break your vessel. I've done it, I've read about it and there is no 100% safe way. Especially landed vessels seem to not like that method, my rover got sucked inside body by Kraken every time.

But it can be done way way easier: ChopIt! mod by marce can gracefully detach parts from vessels. In it's config file you can find "onlyeva" or something like that bool which will allow you to use it with probes. If you have uncontrolled vessel, you can add probe core module to the KER parts you want to detach (cfg file, copy from some probe core cfg) - it will allow self-detachment and leave vessel as it was. Then just terminate all the detached KER parts (debris, usually on 30km/s kerbol escape trajectory :)) and you can save, delete old mod and paste new one. For me everything works fine so far (did some testing, last time it also looked fine but broke soon after).

---------------

And huge thanks to cybutek ad Padishar for new version, especially for ability to hide customized windows from control bar :)

I also have noticed that sometimes entries are too long (deltav with burn time usually) and continue on next line but there is not enough space and they clip into next line making stuff unreadable. Is there a way to manually resize the window? I couldn't drag the corner etc :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.