[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I'm getting black screen crashes on interplanetary flights while using KER, which go away when I remove the mod. As KER is the only mod I use, I'm fairly sure something in KER is the culprit. I'm getting roughly 5 crashes for every successful load, which is very frustrating. Is this a known issue and is there a fix?

I successfully did so by following these steps (I don't blame you for not being able to find them out of 165 pages of posts):

That worked spot on for me as well thanks! I'm sure there's a way to get NP++ to handle the module deleting bits but I figured it would take more time to work out how then just to delete them by hand as well!

Cheers,

Dave

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I'm getting black screen crashes on interplanetary flights while using KER, which go away when I remove the mod. As KER is the only mod I use, I'm fairly sure something in KER is the culprit. I'm getting roughly 5 crashes for every successful load, which is very frustrating. Is this a known issue and is there a fix?

I've not seen that though it's a bit hard to be sure without more info. Some more details would be helpful. What version of KSP/KER ? An output_log.txt? List of other mod etc. Are you using the same save when testing without KSP ?

I've not seen that though it's a bit hard to be sure without more info. Some more details would be helpful. What version of KSP/KER ? An output_log.txt? List of other mod etc. Are you using the same save when testing without KSP ?

Got it to break in vanilla, so I'm going to go bug the devs. Sorry to bother you, and thanks for a great mod!

I successfully did so by following these steps (I don't blame you for not being able to find them out of 165 pages of posts):

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by cybutek viewpost-right.png

The differences are:

1.0 does not include the EngineerChipFlight part, only ER7500 and EngineerChip which are also only required when not running part-less.

1.0 does not use the BuildEngineer part module as it's always part-less.

The FlightEngineer module is now called FlightEngineerModule.

If your crafts contain parts from 0.6 and do not find them, or the associated part modules, KSP may delete them. The save file tweaking should just be a simple find/replace in notepad changing EngineerChipFlight to EngineerChip, removing 'name = BuildEngineer' and changing 'name = FlightEngineer' to 'name = FlightEngineerModule'. I have not tested this out though, so cannot guarantee any form of success, only that it's technically possible to tweak the save file so it could be compatible. Remember that backing up your save file is always recommended before trying anything like this this out though.

Has someone has actually tried making a 0.6 save compatible with 1.0? And can either confirm my tweak, or say it's a load of codswallop and recommend a better way? k_smiley.gif

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Kerbas_ad_astra viewpost-right.png

This worked for me -- I was willing to try because the only vessels I had in flight on my main save were probes. I used Notepad++ to make the process less painful and less likely to fail horribly (Notepad++ is Windows-only, but I'm sure there are similarly-featured text editors for other operating systems). I selected all of my ships and opened them at the same time, and then used the Replace All in All Open Documents button in the find-and-replace dialog. As a sanity check, there should be twice as many replacements of EngineerChipFlight to EngineerChip as there are replacements of FlightEngineer to FlightEngineerModule, because each chip itself is named twice (once by the parent part, and once by the chip itself) while the module is only named once (within the actual chip). I then found all locations of BuildEngineer and deleted each of the BuildEngineer MODULE blocks. Notepad++'s bracket matching feature came in very handy here!

Editing the save file (persistent.sfs) itself was the tricky part, because when I deleted one BuildEngineer module, all of the line numbers of the subsequent modules changed, so I couldn't just jump directly to them from the search results window as I did the first. In retrospect, I should have started from the bottom and worked my way up. I'm sure there's a way to automate this (Notepad++ has a feature for recording and executing macros, for one thing), but it didn't take more than a few minutes.

This should probably be edited into the first post at the bottom of the page or something. I was only able to find it because I looked at the last few pages assuming someone had probably recently asked the question I was about to ask because the information was hinted at existing but not made immediately available... lol. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by impyre
fail at quoting people who quoted someone else?

Sorry to bother but may I ask why were drag, atmospheric pressure and other atmospheric readouts removed in 1.0?

I always liked to see how much force the drag would be applying on my craft for example. I did find them pretty useful readouts specially when playing without FAR.

I'm getting an issue when using KER and TweakScale with rescaled parts where KER will grossly exaggerate the mass of the ship in question. It happens when scaling a part up and down with TweakScale: the mass is reported as increased when the part is scaled up, but the mass never decreases if the part is scaled down. Launching the vessel shows that the mass KER reports is indeed wrong.

The overlay shows this: http://i.imgur.com/yhMzeN3

EDIT: Actually, this is probably a tweakscale bug, apologies

Edited by LPGhatguy

I'm getting an issue when using KER and TweakScale with rescaled parts where KER will grossly exaggerate the mass of the ship in question. It happens when scaling a part up and down with TweakScale: the mass is reported as increased when the part is scaled up, but the mass never decreases if the part is scaled down. Launching the vessel shows that the mass KER reports is indeed wrong.

Yes, this was reported a couple of pages back. I'm not sure if any more info has been discovered yet...

Version 1.0.12 is now available!

Get it here!

Added: Setting in Build Engineer to enable/disable vectored thrust calculations.

Added: Thrust torque field in Build Engineer (courtesy of mic_e).

Added: New readouts to the vessel category:

- Thrust Offset Angle (courtesy of mic_e)

- Thrust Torque (courtesy of mic_e)

- Part Count: stage/total

- Heading

- Pitch

- Roll

Added: New readouts to the surface category:

- Situation

Added: New readouts to the miscellaneous category:

- Vectored Thrust Toggle

Fixed: The category selection within the section editors now do not always reset back to 'Orbital'.

Fixed: Issue where the vessel simulation can sometimes permanently freeze.

Fixed: Issue where the vessel simulation would not show updates when the delay was set lower than the frame rate.

Know what could be useful? Display partcount in the Vessel tab/HUD. Pretty please. :)

Just like to say that I love the HUD usage in your latest SOAR video :)

Edited by cybutek

I've just tried both the 0.6 and 1.0 versions, on a fresh install of KSP 0.25 with no other mods. I can see the parts and attach them to my rocket, but then I don't see any kind of window or anything. Do I have to do something else to make it work? Thanks!

I've just tried both the 0.6 and 1.0 versions, on a fresh install of KSP 0.25 with no other mods. I can see the parts and attach them to my rocket, but then I don't see any kind of window or anything. Do I have to do something else to make it work? Thanks!

Do you have Blizzy's toolbar installed? It may be set to show on that toolbar but you've got it hidden. If not, there should be a KER button on the stock toolbar.

Is it normal that KER is reseting overlay settings in VAB (specifically - I had it off, then it turns on after game restart) every game launch? Is it way to make it stay disabled?

That's not normal. Thanks for telling me about the bug, I'll get it sorted for the next update.

Oh and anyone experiencing bugs or issues like this, please let me know. If I don't know about them then they won't get fixed.

That's not normal. Thanks for telling me about the bug, I'll get it sorted for the next update.

Oh and anyone experiencing bugs or issues like this, please let me know. If I don't know about them then they won't get fixed.

Sure, thanks :)

just got this spaming in the log

KerbalEngineer -> FlightEngineerCore->UpdateModules // Object reference not set to an instance of an object

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

KerbalEngineer -> at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Rendezvous.RendezvousProcessor.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.Flight.FlightEngineerCore.UpdateModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

KerbalEngineer -> FlightEngineerCore->UpdateModules // Object reference not set to an instance of an object

KerbalEngineer -> at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Rendezvous.RendezvousProcessor.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.Flight.FlightEngineerCore.UpdateModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

using KSP 0.25 x32 (and the latest version of KER)

here the logs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2di17qioelhus1z/KER.rar?dl=0

and here is the KER log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwxro4422i6gi9c/KerbalEngineer.rar?dl=0

Edited by dtoxic

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.