[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

There are two chips for KER: Kerbal Engineer, and a Flight variant. The basic KER chip only works in the editors, while the Flight Engineer chip also allows you to use it while controlling the active vessel. There is an animated model that IIRC also has the Flight capability installed.

You might have placed the editor-only KER chip on your ship.

That is not the case.

I was using a mod that added the modules for KER and MJ to all command capable parts, so I suspected something broke with it.

http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/221500-mechjeb-and-engineer-for-all

I tested it with the flight module and still have the same problem, I can see the KER hud things on the top by altitude and I can modify them, but I cannot open any of the flight windows.

So this is an isolated problem? Only I am affected?

That is not the case.

I was using a mod that added the modules for KER and MJ to all command capable parts, so I suspected something broke with it.

http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/221500-mechjeb-and-engineer-for-all

I tested it with the flight module and still have the same problem, I can see the KER hud things on the top by altitude and I can modify them, but I cannot open any of the flight windows.

So this is an isolated problem? Only I am affected?

Sounds like you're using KER 1.0. In which case the parts are completely optional and it runs in a part-less state by default, unless you specify it to run in module mode within the settings. There could be a conflict with the Engineer for All mod.

Also try deleting the KerbalEngineer/Settings directory to reset everything back to factory.

Hi Cybutek. Loving the latest version. The HUD was a masterstroke, now I can see the most useful bits of data all the time without cluttering the screen.

One thing though, would you consider adding 'close' buttons to the pop up windows? At the moment, you have to click on the KER tile, then on display engineer to get it to close, and having a close button would be more quick and convenient.

Also, perhaps you could consider merging the latitude and longitude displays into one 'coordinates' display.

Engineers really aren't that exciting, and I'd love if there were an option to require an Engineer in manned pods for the Flight Engineer data to come up. Is this a relatively simple thing to do? Seems like there must be a definition for all of the traits out there, and you'd only have to add the Flight Data module to the Engineer.

Sounds like a good idea, except maybe a few things could still be allowable in the HUD. The biome indicator at least. Or maybe everything in sandbox.

Edited by Tw1

Seconded!

Engineers really aren't that exciting, and I'd love if there were an option to require an Engineer in manned pods for the Flight Engineer data to come up. Is this a relatively simple thing to do? Seems like there must be a definition for all of the traits out there, and you'd only have to add the Flight Data module to the Engineer.

Bonus points if you can restrict the available information based on the Engineer's level and/or building upgrades (when conics aren't even available, it seems cheaty to have so much info). But I'm guessing that wouldn't be as straight forward.

Thirded. This would be brilliant.

Just a quick question, I'm using KIDS and while the DeltaV readout seems to be correct, when I enable the thrust varying with ISP option KER doesn't seem to report the TWR properly, even when I switch it to atmospheric mode. I've had rockets that KER says have 1.7 TWR be unable to leave the pad.

I'm just working around it at the moment with the standard kerbal solution of "Moar Boosters", but I do like to have a nice even 1.4 - 1.6 TWR on liftoff in FAR.

I haven't enabled the atm/vac rating sliders on KIDS yet (I'm still getting set up with it properly and working out what I want).

Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing on KER? Or will it start to work if I set up the vac/atm rating sliders on KIDS?

Cheers, Dave.

Seconded!

Bonus points if you can restrict the available information based on the Engineer's level and/or building upgrades (when conics aren't even available, it seems cheaty to have so much info). But I'm guessing that wouldn't be as straight forward.

*insert shutup and take my money meme here*

I would really like to see this implemented in stock KSP too, it would give me much more reason to take an engineer with me!

Just a quick question, I'm using KIDS and while the DeltaV readout seems to be correct, when I enable the thrust varying with ISP option KER doesn't seem to report the TWR properly, even when I switch it to atmospheric mode. I've had rockets that KER says have 1.7 TWR be unable to leave the pad.

I'm just working around it at the moment with the standard kerbal solution of "Moar Boosters", but I do like to have a nice even 1.4 - 1.6 TWR on liftoff in FAR.

I haven't enabled the atm/vac rating sliders on KIDS yet (I'm still getting set up with it properly and working out what I want).

Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing on KER? Or will it start to work if I set up the vac/atm rating sliders on KIDS?

Cheers, Dave.

Unfortunately this is something that was asked for some time ago and I still haven't got around to fixing yet. KER does support thrust varying with atmospheric pressure with RealFuels but it also needs specific support for KIDS. I will try and fix this over the next day or two...

Hi.

Is there a way to change the keyboard input for show/hide the KER Window ? Cause actually the input is "<" and it's my input for the teamspeak push to talk, it's a little bit disturbing :/

Thanks you in advance.

Great job for this mod !

Unfortunately this is something that was asked for some time ago and I still haven't got around to fixing yet. KER does support thrust varying with atmospheric pressure with RealFuels but it also needs specific support for KIDS. I will try and fix this over the next day or two...

That would be awesome, thanks! :D

Sounds like you're using KER 1.0. In which case the parts are completely optional and it runs in a part-less state by default, unless you specify it to run in module mode within the settings. There could be a conflict with the Engineer for All mod.

Also try deleting the KerbalEngineer/Settings directory to reset everything back to factory.

I'm running KER from the CKAN and I'm up to date.

I'll try out deleting settings, but it was happening with a totally fresh install of .90 when I deleted and redownloaded it and started a fresh save.

That mod is just a MM script that adds the effect to all command parts. I tested it without and still had the same problem. If this keeps up I'll just get another fresh install and find out if I'm crazy.

Hi, Cybutek! Thanks for maintaining and developing!

I have an idea for something that could be implemented. While surface TWR is key data, I sometime find myself wanting to know what the orbital TWR is. Vessels with a TWR<1 have an awful acceleration, and makes for too long burns. If we assume that 100km is a good parking orbit (at least for when departing from Kerbin), Build Engineer could show this info while in VAB/SPH. It shouldn't be an impossible task, seeing that "Current TWR" is already a function in Flight Engineer. This way we'd have much more knowledge about our vessels prior to orbit, and we wouldn't have to calculate it ourselves.

Disclaimer: I still run ksp 0.24.2, and I don't know if what I'm suggesting is already implemented.

For those interested in the formulas, they are:

g_orbit=(g_surface*(body_radius/(orbital_altitude+body_radius))²

TWR_orbit=Thrust_force/(vehicle_mass*g_orbit)

Cheers!

Edited by Kerbrud
Corrected the formula

Hi, Cybutek! Thanks for maintaining and developing!

I have an idea for something that could be implemented. While surface TWR is key data, I sometime find myself wanting to know what the orbital TWR is. Vessels with a TWR<1 have an awful acceleration, and makes for too long burns. If we assume that 100km is a good parking orbit (at least for when departing from Kerbin), Build Engineer could show this info while in VAB/SPH. It shouldn't be an impossible task, seeing that "Current TWR" is already a function in Flight Engineer. This way we'd have much more knowledge about our vessels prior to orbit, and we wouldn't have to calculate it ourselves.

Disclaimer: I still run ksp 0.24.2, and I don't know if what I'm suggesting is already implemented.

For those interested in the formulas, they are:

g_orbit=g_surface*(body_radius/(orbital_altitude+body_radius)

TWR_orbit=Thrust_force/(vehicle_mass*g_orbit)

Cheers!

I have thought about this before and it's basically just a space issue. I really need to implement a way for you to select what you'd like shown on the Build Engineer first otherwise the window will be larger than the screen for some people. TWR in orbit is practically useless as it's a factor of weight; acceleration is much more useful in this situation. :)

I have thought about this before and it's basically just a space issue. I really need to implement a way for you to select what you'd like shown on the Build Engineer first otherwise the window will be larger than the screen for some people. TWR in orbit is practically useless as it's a factor of weight; acceleration is much more useful in this situation. :)

Well, as acceleration in orbit is simply g_orbit(TWR-1), so I do think knowing TWR in orbit is useful. Less values to keep track of! =P Anyways, you do have a point. Though, if I remember correctly, you can choose what you want FE to show - doesn't BE work the same way? Forgive my ignorance, I don't even know how to open DLL-files=P You see, I tried looking at the code to implement it myself.

Thanks Cybutek, for all the work you do making KER an amazing mod.

I have a small feature request: could we have a setting which causes numeric fields to be zero-padded for a fixed width? At timewarp, the number of digits in numeric displays changes fast enough that the fields become entirely unreadable. I'd rather have a fixed number of digits so there's no jitter at high speed.

Thanks a ton!

In the editor, the small info boxes (lower left corner) overlap with the parts list if you activate the enhanced filters for the parts (which moves the parts list some to the right). It would be nice if you either move the info boxes when this happens or move the position a bit to the right so they can not overlap.

Version 1.0.14 is now available! : Get it here!

Added: Career mode that limits the Flight Engineer by:

- Requiring an Engineer Kerbal of any level, or placement of an Engineer Chip or ER-7500 part.

- Tracking station level 3 enables Flight Engineer everywhere.

Added: New readouts to the orbital category:

- Mean Anomaly at Epoc

Added: New readouts to the miscellaneous category:

- System Time

Added: Editor Overlay Tab's X position is now changable in the BuildOverlay.xml settings file.

Changed: Editor Overlay Tabs start position moved over as to not overlap the parts menu.

Fixed: Bug where STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW resources would not be corrently disabled/enabled.

Fixed: Issue with the formatting large Mass and Cost values.

Fixed: Error when loading the Engineer7500 part model.

- Requiring an Engineer Kerbal of any level, or placement of an Engineer Chip or ER-7500 part.

I really like your thinking here - but at the risk of controversy, have you considered requiring the actual engineer plus either L3 tracking station or one of the parts? Beta nudged us towards multi-man missions, but given that probe cores can basically replace pilots (not your fault obviously; bad call by Squad) being too generous with engineering features makes solo flights just as easy, only needing a scientist. Or maybe restrict the information presented without an engineer on board to the real basics: delta-v remaining, horizontal/vertical velocity? Just a passing thought, I just rather like the idea of actually needing one of each type of crew for an optimal mission ^^;

Great mod though, I have no clue how people run without it. Not sure I could even build a ship that would reach orbit without KER, let alone land it on Mun :)

Added: Career mode that limits the Flight Engineer by:

You broke all of my already-launched flights. So many missions are now jeopardized by your reckless changes.

Actually, I love the change, but I do need to fix my in-flight missions. Here's a small patch for anyone with KAS so they can retrofit pre-update ships that don't have engineers. (Specifically most of my unmanned missions)

Requires KAS and ModuleManager. Paste this into a new text document called "KerbalEngineer.cfg" in GameData\KerbalEngineer (GameData\KerbalEngineer\KerbalEngineer.cfg)

@PART[Engineer7500]:NEEDS[KAS]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
storedSize = 4
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

Now I just need to rendezvous with the ships and upgrade them...

Edited by CDR Scott

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.