[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

heres the craft file, it should be stock i think all i used on this was stock revamp and tweak scale, but i removed those parts (rcs part and solar panels) so it should work for you

im not sure which log file your after but this is the ksp txt file i have

Can confirm this is happening (screenshot, output_log.txt). Looks like this is some kind of bug.

Thanks for this. That log shows lots of these (which I don't think are anything to do with KER):

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Terrain.TerrainManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

and also lots of these (which are):

KerbalEngineer -> Object reference not set to an instance of an object
KerbalEngineer -> at KerbalEngineer.Extensions.PartExtensions.GetModuleMultiModeEngine (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Extensions.PartExtensions.GetProtoModuleEngine (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildOverlayPartInfo.SetEngineInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildOverlayPartInfo.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Someone else reported this log spam so it is known about. It is happening in the editor but presumably something similar is happening during flight which is resulting in the simulation going wrong. Hopefully this craft file will allow us to track down the cause...

I do believe I have found a bug.

If you dock two ships in orbit, and both have engines it might be necessary to disable the engines on one ship because they oppose each other. However afterwards the predicted time and DV for maneuvers is wrong. I discovered the error when my ships built with Tantares mod parts kept running out of fuel early. A 900 m/s burn actually used ~1300 m/s of DV. I tried to replicate the issue with a stock ship. I was not able to produce such a huge difference in DV but the predicted time for one of the burns was 1:02.4 but the burn took over 3 minutes to complete instead. Other burns didn't match DV or times either.

I don't know if it matters since I don't know how KER logic works, but one ship was not crewed and they had dissimilar engines with large differences in thrust. The stock ships both had a VAC ISP of 350, the Tantares probably had different ISP's. I have noticed this on more than one Tantares ship and my stock ship docked to two different drones with the same results so it doesn't seem to matter all that much what how the ship is made. (Hence I didn't bother with screen's but I can get them if you want.) Finally, I did switch control to the drone ship for all the maneuvers, it was the crewed ship that performed the docking and then shut down.

I thought once that as I used monoprop for orientation my predicted DV of my ship didn't go up as it's mass went down, but I have been unable to replicate since then. I am only mentioning this for the sake of completeness.

I do believe I have found a bug.

[snip]

During flight, if the engines that are currently active are different to those that the staging list says should be active then the simulation is supposed to calculate the deltaV available with the currently active engines (until all the engines burn out) before it then goes on to simulate the normal staging process. However, it appears that something is going wrong with this. I will take a look...

I think I stumbled upon a simple yet serious bug: if you are orbiting a planet, and target something landed on it (say, a rover), and then try to view the rendezvous tab, the game crashes.

What do you mean by "the game crashes"? Can you provide an output_log.txt and/or a save file?

Hey guys. Just downloaded the mod after forgetting how helpful it was :D

I love the new UI, but that tooltip when mousing over parts really bothers me. I don't have a middle mouse button and the tooltip just gets in the way... is there any way to disable it? I've looked through the in-game settings, nothing so far.

Hey guys. Just downloaded the mod after forgetting how helpful it was :D

I love the new UI, but that tooltip when mousing over parts really bothers me. I don't have a middle mouse button and the tooltip just gets in the way... is there any way to disable it? I've looked through the in-game settings, nothing so far.

In the Settings screen, beside "Build Engineer Overlay", click the "Visible" button to disable them (image). Note that you'll lose the summary information windows at the bottom as a side effect.

In the Settings screen, beside "Build Engineer Overlay", click the "Visible" button to disable them (image). Note that you'll lose the summary information windows at the bottom as a side effect.

Ah, thanks! I noticed that button, but when I tried it and it disabled the summaries I assumed that was all it did... :confused:

What do you mean by "the game crashes"? Can you provide an output_log.txt and/or a save file?

Well, it just crashes. The windows dialogue window pops up stating "this program is not responding" and I have to kill it.

No output logs, as it's not a standard KSP.exe "Oops" dialogue window crash. The game just freezes/crashes/stops responding.

No output logs, as it's not a standard KSP.exe "Oops" dialogue window crash. The game just freezes/crashes/stops responding.

Every single time the game is started, an output log is created. Everything that happens in the game is recorded in it. It can be found in the KSP_Data - please post it.

Hey, awsome mod, but I have small issue.

I've built some SSTO spaceplanes, but its seems like KER miscalculates or doesn't update thrust values, when I disable the atmospheric engines and switch over to the rocket engines. It seems to assume that atmospheric engines are still giving thrust, even through they are disabled. This ends up giving me wrong TWR and maneuver values. Maybe its because the atmo-engines are in a active stage and the rocket engines in an inactive stage? Anyway to fix this?

Hey, awsome mod, but I have small issue.

I've built some SSTO spaceplanes, but its seems like KER miscalculates or doesn't update thrust values, when I disable the atmospheric engines and switch over to the rocket engines. It seems to assume that atmospheric engines are still giving thrust, even through they are disabled. This ends up giving me wrong TWR and maneuver values. Maybe its because the atmo-engines are in a active stage and the rocket engines in an inactive stage? Anyway to fix this?

Yes, there are a number of issues with the handling of rapier engines and any type of engines that are enabled/disabled manually outside of the staging sequence. They are being addressed but you will have to wait for the next release...

I'd like to see a 'RCS d-v' read-out in the vessel section, independent of the whole staging simulation code. Just walk over all control thrusters to determine their average ISP, and calculate the monoprop d-v from the current vessel mass / current amount of Monopropellant. Do the same thing for Verier thrusters and sum up the results.

Can you add a button to change atmo mode without changing out of compact every time.

Would also be nice to be able to change location in compact as well. Could remove the name and version number to increase real-estate

and add in all stages button.

I'd like to see a 'RCS d-v' read-out in the vessel section, independent of the whole staging simulation code. Just walk over all control thrusters to determine their average ISP, and calculate the monoprop d-v from the current vessel mass / current amount of Monopropellant. Do the same thing for Verier thrusters and sum up the results.

To get a decently accurate value you have to pick a direction (e.g. vessel forward) and use the same code that balances the output of the thrusters accounting for the thrust vectors as the stock game does and then total the thrust forces and vectors to get the overall force.

Can you add a button to change atmo mode without changing out of compact every time.

Would also be nice to be able to change location in compact as well. Could remove the name and version number to increase real-estate

and add in all stages button.

The "Atmo" button has already been added to compact view for the next version. I'm not too keen on adding the other controls though. Cybutek may be more inclined...

Trying to flatten out my orbit to the equator, I noticed something on the readouts -- some longitudes are listed as positive or negative, and some are listed as E or W (e.g., the current longitude is E/W, longitude of AN is +/-).

Any chance we can get them in the same units? Or, if there is a good reason they are different, I'd settle for learning something :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hrm, and looking closer, I'm not so sure about those E/W readouts. After a couple of orbits:

Rm7Ln8P.png

I'm awfully far west! Is there a modulus missing somewhere? Or maybe the joys of modulus on negative numbers, since its west?

Thanks for all the hard work in keeping up this mod as this is one of my must install mods no matter what kind of setup I'm running.

I've into a weird error though that I can replicate...sometimes...sometimes not but of the 4 attempts I've made, two replicated it, two did not. It should be noted, I run a VERY heavily modded setup (105+ at last count) so it's very possible it is something going on with me. However, I figured I'd bring it up here just in case as I've toyed with it and cannot figure out why it's happening.

First the error info from the output_log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Rendezvous.TargetSelector.DrawTarget (KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule section) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Rendezvous.TargetSelector.Draw (KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule section) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule.DrawReadoutModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule.Draw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionWindow.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[Orbit Targeter]: Target is Mun Base Alpha 1 (unloaded)

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

What happens is, I'm orbiting the Mun, about to drop my second lander right on target of my first (Mun Base Alpha 1). When I select the base using Engineer, occasionally the game will lock up tight but not CTD and I have to force it to close. I've replicated this twice now but two other tries failed to replicate the error but I did get a secondary effect on those two tries - my FPS would plummet and nose dive until near nothingness from my average of around 55-60 FPS to around 4-6 but the game would continue running. My landing was actually successful on those two tries mainly because once I finished my deorbit burn and ended over the target I would deselect it and my FPS would instantly jump back to 55-60.

Like I said, this is a really weird issue I've never encountered before and have difficulty replicating but since I saw the NRE in the output_log I figured it wise to bring up in case there is something hiding in there you need to be aware of. If you need more info, please ask and I'll provide anything I can. I will be saving a copy of the output_log with the error within it in case it proves to be needed. Again, thanks for all the hard work, I really appreciate it.

This is not the first time it happens to me... KerbalEngineer switched to 24h mode at some point for no reason. Not sure what at what moment exactly the switch happened, but it made me screw up a rendez-vous because I misinterpreted "1d 2h" as 8h instead of 26h :P

I also got some weird kind of freeze where most actions were not responding and I had to restart the game. It's possible it's been in 24h mode since then. KER might not be the source of that freeze, but it could be linked with the 24h weirdness.

Here's KerbalEngineer.log and KSP.log:

... Ok, since when can't we attach files on here?

This should work:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/89618b527a14ff44b0b5

Edit: Is there even a 6h/24h setting in KER? I can't seem to find it anywhere... Found it. If anyone is looking for the same thing, you have to hit 'Edit' on a visible preset (e.g. 'Orbital'), go to the 'miscellanous' category, and install the 'Time Reference Adjuster' button.

http://imgur.com/P5jMwiC

I guess it's not completely impossible I hit that by accident when playing with the windows...

Edited by Samapico

Hey Cybutek saiClassy

Managed to break KER on this craft, might just be because of the tons of docking ports but it`s throwing quite alot of errors now dasAHH

Craft: https://imgur.com/a/2mY5e

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mko6yinb91l7w7m/KER%20error.rar?dl=0

Cheers :D

Thanks for letting me know Kamuchi. You're not the only person who's had that error, so expect it to be fixed in the next update. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.