[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

How would someone taking over would solve all problem magically ? You clearly have no idea of the complexity of the fuel sims and the changes that came with 1.0.5. Forking is easy, doing something with the fork is not.

On 20/12/2015 at 8:19 PM, sarbian said:

How would someone taking over would solve all problem magically ? You clearly have no idea of the complexity of the fuel sims and the changes that came with 1.0.5. Forking is easy, doing something with the fork is not.

Sarabian... Remember dude... THERE IS NO SPOON... err... fork?... ummm... THERE IS NO SPORK. :confused:

I remember looking into some of the maths these guys do in their mods and went "YUP... Completely over my head..." - I love KSP but peeps need to be patient for the mods to get updated. Back when my brain worked (this is my current brain on drugs - I mean, you try programming after taking a lot of morphine) I remember doing something similar and found that it only took ONE little change to completely mess up our simulation models. This was back when modular coding was something the weird nerds did while the rest of us used languages like Fortran and APL.

I could understand getting a bit grumpy with professional dev teams for software you paid for (expecting it to work out of the box) but not software that most mod makers give out for free. I don't think I made a single thing from my mod making years... and I pushed out a ton of stuff.

So what I'm saying is... give the guy(s) a break. Small changes in the base code can break a mod easily. It's like the foundations of a building giving way and burying the problem areas under the house. Fixing it is not always as easy as it looks. As they say, PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE.

20 hours ago, NeoMorph said:

This was back when modular coding was something the weird nerds did while the rest of us used languages like Fortran and APL.

Wow, I didn't know anyone else knew APL.  Haven't seen that language in a very long time.

We now return to the regular scheduled program...

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 10:30 PM, meyerweb said:

I don’t think you do understand.  Here, have an annotated screenshot:

The sections I highlighted by surrounding them with red boxes are pre-defined by KER.  I want to remove them so they do not appear in either the Control Bar (on the left) or the Flight Engineer list (on the right).  If anyone can give me a process for doing so, that would be most appreciated.  I’ve tried everything I can find using the in-game UI, and also directly editing KER’s XML configuration files.  So far, no luck.  Happy to learn of something I overlooked, though!

If I recall (been a while since I touched KSP - ever since 1.0.5 dropped, really; been waiting on mod updates), you can edit the default windows to show anything else you want. You can't DELETE them, but I'm pretty sure you can EDIT them to suit your needs (though I THINK you CAN'T rename them.) Assuming I'm right (which I don't guarantee in any way, shape, or form, though the image supports my claim with the "EDIT" buttons), just change the contents of the defaults to contain things you typically use. I used to do that all the time when I had to wipe KSP and my mods (until I learned where the settings were stored) and reinstalled everything all over again. It was better than have several windows cluttering up my screen or having to manage oh-so-many. (Though since then, I switched to using a lot of smaller HUD displays from KER showing the essentials I tend to use most often. The big windows are the defaults configured with more details that I toggle if I need/want them.)

3 minutes ago, Krux said:

True, but it will be a rather long wait, at least for me :(

Well, you can use MechJeb for dV info purposes and such. Not exactly same as KE, but can serve purpose. There is also mod that put MJ and/or KE in every cockpit/probe, so you don't need to bother to place it on craft each time to get info for dV in SPH/VAB. MJ works fine with stock, but somehow it does not work well with my craft created for FAR, so I use it mostly for info purposes and sometimes to create nodes for transfer windows or for rendezvouspurposes.

I have to use both KER and MJ's delta V calculator window in the VAB.  Some rockets work well with KER and it does a good job of estimating TWR, other engines seem to confuse KER and MJ gives a better TWR estimate for each stage.

Delta-V calculations, OTOH, are pretty close for practical purposes between KER / MJ.

This is not exactly KER related but if you have vessel that show correct dv  for KER and not in MJ current dev release please share them in MJ thread. 

Edited by sarbian

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@Qwarkk Maybe its time for Blizzy's Toolbar  :D

Another option is to just unlock and move the right HUD read out to another location if possible. I used a 1920x1200 display (screw 16:9 AR; I LIKE my extra vertical pixels!), so I have room for windows and extra HUDs. Though it does get crowded/cluttered at time. (I do instrumented flight mainly though, so the extra data helps; it's more a matter of making sure I have the data I NEED at the right moment ^_^).

Actually, a pseudo-related question: anyone play KSP on a 2560x1600 or so monitor at that native res? I imagine that great for data windows and HUDs, but how is the performance? I know KSP is more CPU limited than GPU (the physics versus graphics). I'd actually love to just dump KER data on to a second monitor or something... (Pretty sure that would need built in Unity/KSP support. I know there's a mod out there for browser-based data. I'd rather have more native support though.)

6 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

Actually, a pseudo-related question: anyone play KSP on a 2560x1600 or so monitor at that native res? I imagine that great for data windows and HUDs, but how is the performance? I know KSP is more CPU limited than GPU (the physics versus graphics). I'd actually love to just dump KER data on to a second monitor or something... (Pretty sure that would need built in Unity/KSP support. I know there's a mod out there for browser-based data. I'd rather have more native support though.)

I play in 4k and I don't have any performance  difference from lower rez. The KSP UI does not scale at all however, so some screen are hard to read. It should get better in 1.1 hopefully 

11 hours ago, Qwarkk said:

Is there a way to make the HUD panels smaller in width? I have so many toolbar icons they overlap with the right HUD and its annoying me.

Yes, it's possible to change the size and location of the HUD panels.  I put both to the left of the altimeter, with my Blizzy toolbar on the right side of the altimeter.

When you open the KER menu in the primary toolbary, there are "edit" buttons for both HUDs.  While editing, they can be moved to another location on the screen.

14 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

Yes, it's possible to change the size and location of the HUD panels.  I put both to the left of the altimeter, with my Blizzy toolbar on the right side of the altimeter.

When you open the KER menu in the primary toolbary, there are "edit" buttons for both HUDs.  While editing, they can be moved to another location on the screen.

Are you sure size can be changed? I thought it was position only.

On 26/12/2015 at 5:55 AM, Brigadier said:

Wow, I didn't know anyone else knew APL.  Haven't seen that language in a very long time.

We now return to the regular scheduled program...

Used to use APL a lot... but these days programmers wouldn't know a Del from a Delta hehe (old APL joke). I even wrote a spacecraft simulator back in the day in APL... On A teleprinter of all things. It was the only thing that would let me use APL due to having a golfball that had the APL character set. Now that's going to confuse the young-uns here. :D

2 hours ago, NeoMorph said:

Used to use APL a lot... but these days programmers wouldn't know a Del from a Delta hehe (old APL joke). I even wrote a spacecraft simulator back in the day in APL... On A teleprinter of all things. It was the only thing that would let me use APL due to having a golfball that had the APL character set. Now that's going to confuse the young-uns here. :D

Not all of us.  I used a golfballs through much of highschool.

11 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

Mmm, thought you could change the size.  But nope, all KER windows are of a fixed width and auto-change their height based on the content.

Unfortunately this is also false - the overlay window in VAB can indeed change size.

14 hours ago, Dispatcher said:

Those ... and perhaps daisywheels?

Arrggh. I hated daisywheels... break one spoke and that would totally ruin a huge printout. Trying to read a program without a single character could be disastrous. Imagine using Twitter without the hash character today for example.

Oops... sorry... getting off topic here. I was just trying to point out that modding has been going on for a LONNNNNNNNNG time.... and mods just don't happen overnight. Real life intrudes or the dev has more important things going on. At least there are some modders who have passed the torch when they tire of their mods. Just search "Kerbal Continued" for examples. This is a VERY useful mod so I think it won't be forgotten, even should the originator not continue (not saying he isn't... just thinking worst case scenarios).

@Clear Air Turbulence That's from AVC (Automated Version Checker). Use the version recompiled for 1.0.5 and you shouldn't see that message any more, you can get it with these steps:

1. Go here: https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer 
2. Click "Download ZIP" at lower right.
3. Open the zip and navigate to the "Output" folder.
4. Copy the "KerbalEngineer" folder from there to your GameData folder.
5. Enjoy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.