[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

2 hours ago, fuzzywolf said:

I managed to get the problem to manifest with a 4 part rocket.  Mk1 command pod -> LF 800 x2 -> LV 45.  Put a decoupler between the fuel tanks and you have a problem.

For this example KER is treating the decoupler as if crossfeed is enabled.  Are you sure you didn't change it?  I wouldn't expect MJ to be going wrong in that situation but, as far as I can tell, KER doesn't either...

zGNJzJq.jpg

Can you click settings and hit the Verbose log button and then upload your log?

4 hours ago, Padishar said:

For this example KER is treating the decoupler as if crossfeed is enabled.  Are you sure you didn't change it?  I wouldn't expect MJ to be going wrong in that situation but, as far as I can tell, KER doesn't either...

zGNJzJq.jpg

I can confirm this happening as well. Cross-feed not enabled. It's fairly random, Padishar. One career it started happening on my fifth rocket, another it didn't happen until I was on my 10th rocket or so. I, however, haven't been able to correct the issue by quitting and relaunching like some others have said. For me, once it borked, it was a permanent issue for my career if a decoupler was present. I would get you some logs, but I've already removed KSPI and IFS (sorry, couple days late to the conversation). I don't have MJ, so I can't comment on any comparison there.

So I hope this is the right place to report this.  I got very fired up when I found out KSP had gone final on 1.1 and I started playing again.  I cleared out all my installed mods through ckan and reloaded. I use mechjeb, Kerbal Engineer Redux, SCANsatFor Science!Contracts Window +.  I started my career over and began playing.  I also manually installed Final Frontier.  All of these mods are supposed to work with KSP1.1

Here is my issue.  At 6k on every launch my camera lost track of my rocket.  I solved my camera issue by removing mods 1 at a time until the problem stopped. The camera losing focus on the rocket stopped when I removed KER.  I have put all the other mods back in and I don't have the problem anymore.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I really like KER but I can't use it with this issue.

Thanks.

Edited by Lucky Spacer
Ad Final Frontier

4 hours ago, Lucky Spacer said:

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I really like KER but I can't use it with this issue.

I can't think of any obvious way that KER could be causing this but I guess the most likely thing is an exception being thrown in the FixedUpdate handling. Could you repeat the issue and post an output_log.txt? See the "how to get support" sticky thread in the modded support forum for instructions on how to do this.

I can confirm that I have had this issue tonight as well. I have no problem with radial decouplers attached to solid boosters, but any stack decouplers will be treated as if crossfeed was enabled. Therefore, the delta-v calculation was off.

21 hours ago, Padishar said:

zGNJzJq.jpg

I was able to reproduce the decoupler problem with KSPI-E and IFS installed, and produce a verbose simulation log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbp8zn80g366cxg/KerbalEngineer.log?dl=0

A picture of the craft for reference:

Spoiler

DdJ1NRi.jpg

Also possibly related, If I change the level of liquid fuel or oxidizer in either tank, KER will alternate between reporting the mass of the craft with all of the liquids consumed or, an appropriate amount of residual liquid so far as I can tell.

3 hours ago, DoorKip said:

I was able to reproduce the decoupler problem with KSPI-E and IFS installed, and produce a verbose simulation log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbp8zn80g366cxg/KerbalEngineer.log?dl=0

Unfortunately, that isn't the right log.  Rather than the KER specific log, I would need to see the output_log.txt (or player.log on mac/linux) file as it contains a lot more diagnostic output from the simulation code (i.e. it shows how the scan for fuel sources is working).

3 hours ago, DoorKip said:

Also possibly related, If I change the level of liquid fuel or oxidizer in either tank, KER will alternate between reporting the mass of the craft with all of the liquids consumed or, an appropriate amount of residual liquid so far as I can tell.

This is probably a separate issue with the code that decides when to stage during the simulation.  If you deliberately unbalance the LF and O then it can decide to not stage until all the currently active engines stop burning.  This causes the effect where asparagus stages all get lumped together because it doesn't stage the empty boosters until all the engines have stopped.

7 hours ago, Bahamut said:

I can confirm that I have had this issue tonight as well. I have no problem with radial decouplers attached to solid boosters, but any stack decouplers will be treated as if crossfeed was enabled. Therefore, the delta-v calculation was off.

3 hours ago, ExEvolution said:

I've also been getting this bug, but I keep checking the logs and no exceptions are being thrown so I'm not sure what is causing it.

If anyone does see this issue (or any other issue where you think the deltaV calculations are going wrong), then please generate a "verbose simulation log" and upload your output_log.txt/player.log file (not directly in a post, just a link to a file hosting site please).  In the VAB/SPH you click the KER Settings button and then click the "Verbose Simulation Log" button.  Once the button has popped out again you can quit and upload the log.  In flight you will need to add the "Log Simulation" readout from the Miscellaneous section to one of your windows and then click the button.  Please also include a screenshot of the "wrong" readings, in the VAB turn on "All Stages" and turn off "Compact", and in flight make sure that both the total and staged readouts are enabled (unless changing the readouts, somehow, affects the issue).

16 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Unfortunately, that isn't the right log.  Rather than the KER specific log, I would need to see the output_log.txt (or player.log on mac/linux) file as it contains a lot more diagnostic output from the simulation code (i.e. it shows how the scan for fuel sources is working).

This is probably a separate issue with the code that decides when to stage during the simulation.  If you deliberately unbalance the LF and O then it can decide to not stage until all the currently active engines stop burning.  This causes the effect where asparagus stages all get lumped together because it doesn't stage the empty boosters until all the engines have stopped.

If anyone does see this issue (or any other issue where you think the deltaV calculations are going wrong), then please generate a "verbose simulation log" and upload your output_log.txt/player.log file (not directly in a post, just a link to a file hosting site please).  In the VAB/SPH you click the KER Settings button and then click the "Verbose Simulation Log" button.  Once the button has popped out again you can quit and upload the log.  In flight you will need to add the "Log Simulation" readout from the Miscellaneous section to one of your windows and then click the button.  Please also include a screenshot of the "wrong" readings, in the VAB turn on "All Stages" and turn off "Compact", and in flight make sure that both the total and staged readouts are enabled (unless changing the readouts, somehow, affects the issue).

I was doing a little cleanup in my gamedata folder, deleting mods which I don't really use and checking for updates to mods that don't support AVC and I came across a couple files that might be related to this bug.

In another mod, I came across similar files which completely broke the mod, files named {pluginname}.Unity.dll

This occurred in RemoteTech, after removing the RemoteTech.Unity.dll file from the RemoteTech folder, it fixed the mod and the mod author re-released the mod without those files, anyway I came across one called KerbalEngineer.Unity.dll so I just deleted the file and I'm going to test whether this file has broken your mod as well.

X0rCaFu.png

Edited by ExEvolution

5 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Ah, sorry about that. If I have it right, this should be the right one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pktzm0617y3nj3s/output_log.txt?dl=0

2 minutes ago, ExEvolution said:

This occurred in RemoteTech, after removin the Unity.dll file from the RemoteTech folder, it fixed the mod and the mod author re-released the mod without those files, anyway I came across one called KerbalEngineer.Unity.dll so I just deleted the file and I'm going to test whether this file has broken your mod as well.

I wouldn't expect KER to function at all without that DLL.  I can't see how the app launcher button during flight can possibly work without it and I'd be surprised if it even allows the main KER DLL to load with a missing hard dependency...

I'm only trying it because of how it interracted with RemoteTech, I don't know Unity yet, and a newbie at OOP in general, but trying things that worked in the past is worth the troubleshooting steps IMO. Anyway I can't test it till I get home, currently RDP'd into my box and I don't recommend trying to bug test in these conditions :)

Edited by ExEvolution

8 minutes ago, ExEvolution said:

I'm only trying it because of how it interracted with RemoteTech, I don't know Unity yet, and a newbie at OOP in general, but trying things that worked in the past is worth the troubleshooting steps IMO. Anyway I can't test it till I get home, currently RDP'd into my box and I don't recommend trying to bug test in these conditions :)

Sure, test it by all means, I may be mistaken.  On the subject of RDP, I used to do a fair bit of mod development and testing over RDP (when testing the deltaV code in KER or my angle rotation mod it doesn't really matter if I only get a few fps and, actually, I think the game runs at a higher speed but the RDP connection just drops some of the updates) but, unfortunately, KSP no longer renders correctly when run remotely since the upgrade to Unity 5.  This is a Unity issue, the same thing happens with the Unity editor, which has upset quite a few people in the Unity forums... :(

I went back and double checked and I was wrong on the filenames. I remembered unity in the name and in my head I saw the plugin name with it. So its definitely a coding issue and not just additional DLLs being included that are causing the issue like in remotetech's case. I'll try to get a log with verbose logging going

On 4/27/2016 at 8:58 PM, A_name said:

Where is the config for the keyboard shortcut? I have a foreign keyboard layout and can't find the default key, so I figured I could probably change it through the config.

Bump (sorry).

4 hours ago, DoorKip said:

Ah, sorry about that. If I have it right, this should be the right one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pktzm0617y3nj3s/output_log.txt?dl=0

Thanks for that.  This log shows some very strange things happening during the simulations, e.g. for the last run the vessel only has 5 parts but the scans for fuel sources are looking at parts with ids up to 17, including a parachute and a mystery goo, neither of which are on the vessel.  There are also mentions of multiple different parts with the same id.  It looks very much like there is some fundamental issue with KER's object pooling mechanism.  I presume that you did have a vessel loaded at some point in that session that had at least 17 parts and that references to some of these parts have been left in some objects that have been returned to the pool for reuse.  I'm rather surprised that the deltaV calculations are working at all reliably with a fundamental issue like this but I will take a close look at some of the code to try work out where the problem lies...

43 minutes ago, A_name said:

Bump (sorry).

From the change log at the "Online ReadMe and ChangeLog" link in the OP:

1.0.19.1, 2016-11-09
    Added: Key binding editor accessible under 'Settings' on the Build Engineer.

Does this not do what you need?

1 hour ago, Padishar said:

...but I will take a close look at some of the code to try work out where the problem lies...

I have found and fixed a few bits of code that could be responsible for the object pooling issues.  If anyone wants to give it a try then just copy the DLL from the zip linked below over the one in your GameData\KerbalEngineer folder (make sure you are using 1.1.0.2 first).

KerbalEngineer_poolfix.zip

I can't test it right now because I'm "working" but I will be giving it a bit of a test later this evening.

Edit: If you're interested in seeing the changes then see the morefixes branch on my github repo.

Edited by Padishar

Before I start, I should mention that while I wasn't looking the game updated to 1.1.1, so if there are residual issues that might be at fault.

I tried the fixed dll that you provided and it seems to have fixed the problem, but for the sake of completeness I thought it wise to provide you with another simulation log so that you can verify that the changes you made are having the desired effect.

I had the game create a fresh output log, and then had the game run a verbose simulation on the 17 part craft, and then created a new vessel of the same configuration as the one in the picture I posted earlier and ran a simulation on that. Here is the output log for those tests: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f076g5wni12wv9j/output_log%202.txt?dl=0

If you need me to test anything else out for you, just let me know.

Just wanted to drop in here and report this...

Spoiler

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Orbital.CurrentSoi.Draw (KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule section) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule.DrawReadoutModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule.Draw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionWindow.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

This exception gets thrown twice any time I change from one vessel to another in flight.  KER isn't crashing or disappearing from the screen but I can't tell exactly what is happening.  I wouldn't have even seen this if I wasn't trying to track down an error in an MM patch I'm creating.  I just happened to notice it when spooling through the output_log.  I'm running ksp x64 on win 7 with about 160 mods now.  I can provide the output_log if needs be.

57 minutes ago, DoorKip said:

Here is the output log for those tests:

Thanks for that, it looks much better now. I'll get the PR sent to Cybutek as soon as possible. 

8 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

This exception gets thrown twice any time I change from one vessel to another in flight.

This is most likely the same issue with ActiveVessel being null that has already been fixed. Try the version I linked above which should also include the fix for it.

10 hours ago, Padishar said:

I have found and fixed a few bits of code that could be responsible for the object pooling issues.  If anyone wants to give it a try then just copy the DLL from the zip linked below over the one in your GameData\KerbalEngineer folder (make sure you are using 1.1.0.2 first).

KerbalEngineer_poolfix.zip

I can't test it right now because I'm "working" but I will be giving it a bit of a test later this evening.

Edit: If you're interested in seeing the changes then see the morefixes branch on my github repo.

Testing... aaaand....  Oh thank the gods, it works!

10 hours ago, Padishar said:

This is most likely the same issue with ActiveVessel being null that has already been fixed. Try the version I linked above which should also include the fix for it.

Will give it a run through and check logs to see if this crops back up...thanks for the help!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.