[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

1 hour ago, Jarin said:

Basically, rapiers in closed cycle mode use STAGE_PRI (ALL_VESSEL, but sorted by stage) fuel flow rules, just like in airbreathing mode. KER appears to be calculating as if closed-cycle uses normal flow (STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH, I think?), or at least respecting crossflow rules of that mode for radial attachment, where STAGE_PRI does not.

Ahhh, right, memory fail.  The flow mode used to be STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW as you say but the engines were changed in KSP 1.0.5 to a new flow mode called STAGE_STACK_FLOW_BALANCE which operates differently to both STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW and STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH (what the normal rocket engines use).  Cybutek made the changes to the simulation to support this new flow mode (back in November 2015) but it would appear there is an issue with it.  I would try to take a look at it but I'm really busy at the moment and, with KSP 1.2 just around the corner including significant changes to how fuel flow works, there isn't much point in fixing anything in the simulation code until we know what will need to change for that.

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

I think it is the same issue I had in MJ (with simple test craft) : https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues/728

So, if I understand your changes and the changes that Cybutek made then deleting this line:

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/blob/master/KerbalEngineer/VesselSimulator/PartSim.cs#L567

...should give the same effect as your fix.  I'll try to give this a test over the weekend sometime though, as I said above, there's not much point in fixing it yet if other major changes are needed for 1.2.

37 minutes ago, Padishar said:

there's not much point in fixing it yet if other major changes are needed for 1.2.

Yeah, it's not hugely critical. I just had an easily-reproducible issue (which is bloody rare for me, regardless of what I'm working with) so I figured I'd let you know. :) 

1 hour ago, Padishar said:

So, if I understand your changes and the changes that Cybutek made then deleting this line:

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/blob/master/KerbalEngineer/VesselSimulator/PartSim.cs#L567

...should give the same effect as your fix.  I'll try to give this a test over the weekend sometime though, as I said above, there's not much point in fixing it yet if other major changes are needed for 1.2.

Yes, this seems to be the case.

But indeed 1.2 could require some work.

7 minutes ago, scorpianz1525 said:

Awaiting KER for 1.2 - Need it ! :)

they will need more time than usual perhaps to account for the massive overhaul of the fuel system. And you're not supposed to poke about for updates. I'm sure the devs want to use it as much as you do

Edited by Drew Kerman

2 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

they will need more time than usual perhaps to account for the massive overhaul of the fuel system. And you're not supposed to poke about for updates. I'm sure the devs want to use it as much as you do

Was just saying. Wasn't intending to push for it

I know what you all mean.  I've used KER for pretty much my whole time playing this game.  :)

I'm still going to give the 1.2 pre-release a shot, though!  I figure that most of my rocket designs end up significantly over-engineered, so if I use that as a starting point I should be okay!

...Right?

Or, I'll just get in touch with my inner Kerbal and eyeball it.  :)

I am not sure if anyone will find this funny or not.  Keep in mind, I am still pretty new to KSP [1.0.4] and when I started to play KSP, the first mod that peeps suggested was Kerbal Engineer.  Now, I am not unfamilar to modding a game or anything [Fallout 3, Witcher 2, etc] ; However the only thing I knew about KSP was that there was rocket parts, plane parts, kerbals that could be a pilot, scientist and an engineer.

I thought that the mod Kerbal Engineer was going mod the "Engineer" class in the game.

So, now I know.. :)     

Edited by gamerscircle

8 hours ago, RobFalcon said:

I know what you all mean.  I've used KER for pretty much my whole time playing this game.  :)

I'm still going to give the 1.2 pre-release a shot, though!  I figure that most of my rocket designs end up significantly over-engineered, so if I use that as a starting point I should be okay!

...Right?

Or, I'll just get in touch with my inner Kerbal and eyeball it.  :)

I'm just gonna wait for mechjeb and KER

I remember flying to the mun and minmus and doing crazy missions and rescue missions - and rescue missions for rescue missions.

Then I discovered KER and everything went smooth.

Now I make spreadsheets to calculate Delta-V of different stages to start a testing career in 1.2

Dammed where is my adventurism.

.... nah... forget it.

I miss KER and will try that yellow button in the first post - best dammned ever mod of every game i ever played!

34 minutes ago, Darkstar One said:

I remember flying to the mun and minmus and doing crazy missions and rescue missions - and rescue missions for rescue missions.

Now I make spreadsheets to calculate Delta-V of different stages to start a testing career in 1.2

.... nah... forget it.

I miss KER and will try that yellow button in the first post - best dammned ever mod of every game i ever played!

Hey! I still do rescue missions for rescue missions with KER! :P

2 hours ago, Darkstar One said:

.... nah... forget it.

Thanks for reminding me about that yellow button. I took care of that some time ago for my other heavily used mod (McJeb), but hadn't done so for this one. Just now fixed that omission.

20 hours ago, storm_soldier2377 said:

It is sad how the 1.2 pre-release made it clear how much I depend on KER. I can't touch 1.2 without it.

Interesting. While I'd not try a Jool 5 or anything without it, I'm surprised how well - after years of experience with KER as my guide - I can estimate how far a craft will take me.

PROGRESS UPDATE

I'm working on getting out a "usable" release very soon. Note that right at this point in time I will not have touched the fuel flow simulation, except parts that need attention for the sake of compilation. This means that the delta-v calculations - although working - may potentially be inaccurate for complex craft.

38 minutes ago, cybutek said:

PROGRESS UPDATE

I'm working on getting out a "usable" release very soon. Note that right at this point in time I will not have touched the fuel flow simulation, except parts that need attention for the sake of compilation. This means that the delta-v calculations - although working - may potentially be inaccurate for complex craft.

Whatever you release, whenever you release it, I'll be extremely grateful.  Thank you :)

For the "adventurous" types among you; a version compiled for 1.2 is available on the GitHub. You'll need everything from within the 'Output' directory (an overwrite of the old 'KerbalEngineer.dll' won't suffice this time). Hint: it may be easier to download the repository as a zip and just extract out what's in the 'Output' directory rather than downloading each file individually :wink: 

It's not "release ready" but it's there to use, and feel free to leave any feedback you think could help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.