[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

33 minutes ago, Padishar said:

There's no direct indication in any of the logs that KER is the cause though it is possible.  Switching vessels involves a scene change from flight to flight and, while I can imagine a number of ways that KER initiating the switch could cause problems, I would expect to see exceptions in the log rather than a hard crash.  Can you give a reasonably detailed description of what you were doing?  Were you doing the same thing for both the crash reports?  Have you tried the same thing without KER installed?  If it is even partly repeatable from a saved game state then a copy of that game and a detailed description of exactly what you need to do would be most helpful...

I'm pretty sure it's KER related. Here's what I just did to test:

KER Installed

• I have a HUD window set up with just the Search Bar. 
  • I saved my game 
  • Made my Mun Lander active from Tracking Station
  • Targeted Mun station  using the KER Search Bar.
  • I clicked Switch to Target on KER Search Bar
  • CtD

I removed KER 

• started game and reloaded my save game
  • Went back to Mun Lander from Tracking Station
  • used the map functionality to click and switch to Station
  • used map functionality to click and switch to Lander
  • Did this a half dozen times.
  • quit the game

Added KER back in

• went to Mun lander from Tracking Station
  • Targeted Mun Station with KER Search Bar
  • clicked Switch to Target on KER Search Bar
  • CtD

I've uploaded the following new files to the same dropbox

• New Log file (designated "log2")
  • 2 new crash reports associated with the above test

16 hours ago, tjt said:

I'm pretty sure it's KER related. Here's what I just did to test

I can confirm the same behavior tjt is seeing... it was happening to me last night.  I can submit some logs and a copy of my save later today, if it will be helpful.

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

I can confirm the same behavior tjt is seeing... it was happening to me last night.  I can submit some logs and a copy of my save later today, if it will be helpful.

At this stage, a (simple) save file and instructions to replicate are the most important.  Logs are less so as there is unlikely to be anything helpful in them.

17 minutes ago, Padishar said:

At this stage, a (simple) save file and instructions to replicate are the most important.  Logs are less so as there is unlikely to be anything helpful in them.

Okay, I uploaded my save file to the same dropbox. it's called KERTest.sfs

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8lx4jp9i22tuykd/AABmQFHX-TBlWn7kxkD88B4Pa?dl=0

One thing though...the Mun Lander craft has a custom part (also on the dropbox) called Science Pod. It offers the same functionality as the new Science Collection Container. I just used the model from the Goo Container.

To load the save you'll need to add the Science Pod part to your Game Data folder.

Steps to reproduce:

Load the save - it should take you right to the Mun Lander

Use the KER Search Bar tool and select the Mun Station as target

From the KER Search Bar tool click the "switch to target" button - this is where the CtD happens every time for me

Edited by tjt

In case my KER setup could somehow matter for the bug, I've included a screen shot of how I'm using KER Search bar. It's on the right side across the top. (image placement is odd..if you enlarge your browser window the pic gets clearer)

OpDtzni.png

Edited by tjt

1 hour ago, tjt said:

One thing though...the Mun Lander craft has a custom part (also on the dropbox) called Science Pod.

It also appears to use the new engine parts.  I've tried to reproduce it in other saves without any success so far, it may be specific to career or specific to your custom part or the new engine parts.  I'll try to grab the required mods and take a look with your save later...

Edited by Padishar

1 hour ago, Padishar said:

It also appears to use the new engine parts.  I've tried to reproduce it in other saves without any success so far, it may be specific to career or specific to your custom part or the new engine parts.  I'll try to grab the required mods and take a look with your save later...

I have PorkJet's new parts installed. That's the special engine you're seeing. Sorry, I kind of think of his parts as "stock"

Also, I can replicate the same crash switching from Mun Station to Minmus Station. Neither of those have custom parts on them.

Edited by tjt

8 hours ago, Padishar said:

Ok, I just checked my game and I'm still having the intermittent CTD issue in 1.2 when targeting then switching to another craft via the KER HUD.

My game is completely stock parts (not even the preview engines).  My only mods are PlanetShine, PreciseNode (both updated for the 1.2 prerelease) and KER itself.  I removed PlanetShine and PreciseNode for testing and had no change.  I am playing on the 64-bit KSP client under Windows 10.

Here's the save: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14176520/KSP 1.2 KER CTD on switch to target.zip

Please let me know if there's any other information I can give or if you'd like me to test anything particular.

Edited by RoboRay

16 hours ago, RoboRay said:

Here's the save: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14176520/KSP 1.2 KER CTD on switch to target.zip

Please let me know if there's any other information I can give or if you'd like me to test anything particular.

How often do these crashes happen?  Is it with any specific craft?  I've tried your save and switched vessel to loads of the vessels over 50 times with no problems...

18 minutes ago, Padishar said:

How often do these crashes happen?  Is it with any specific craft?  I've tried your save and switched vessel to loads of the vessels over 50 times with no problems...

It mostly seems to happen when switching to a craft outside of the current physics distance, but I does happen periodically when switching within physics distance.

It rarely seems to happen when just switching between craft and flags around KSC, but it's almost 100% when switching to something in orbit, from any craft.

I just checked again on the 1553 build of 1.2 (was on 1548 when testing yesterday) and was able to hop around stuff at KSC just fine, but had back to back CTDs when trying to get to something in space from a craft at KSC.

Edited by RoboRay

Is there a way for a couch gamer to scale the UI size? I tried editing the guidisplaysize.xml file to no avail.

May I request it as a feature if it doesn't work? I am having the devil of a time reading the numbers from 8 feet back.

5 hours ago, Bedwyr said:

Is there a way for a couch gamer to scale the UI size? I tried editing the guidisplaysize.xml file to no avail.

May I request it as a feature if it doesn't work? I am having the devil of a time reading the numbers from 8 feet back.

In the VAB/SPH just click the Settings button in the KER window and use the "GUI Size" buttons.  For the flight engineer there is a readout in the Miscellaneous section called "GUI Size Adjustor" (sp) that you can add to any window.

@Padishar, I'm still seeing the crash when I use the Switch to Target function in the Target tool. I started from scratch to make sure it wasn't a mod conflict. Here were my steps.

• I downloaded an entirely new copy of 1.2 build 1569.
  • I added KER
  • I built 2 basic comms satellites with only stock parts (they're 7 parts each)
  • Launched both into LKO
  • Selected commsat 1 from Tracking Station
  • Selected the commsat 2 in the KER targeting interface
  • Clicked the Switch to Target button in the KER targeting interface
  • Crash to Desktop

This was an entirely clean install, the first two ships I built and I'm still seeing that CtD behavior.

The save file, log file and crash report can be found here:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8lx4jp9i22tuykd/AABmQFHX-TBlWn7kxkD88B4Pa?dl=0

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can do any further testing. I'm off for a couple of days and I'm glad to help any way I can.

1 minute ago, jbakes said:

I downloaded the lastest KER 1.1.1.0 and launched on 1.2 on the latest build and it doesnt show up for me at all.

Your point being?

A version of KER for KSP 1.2 hasn't been officially released yet.  The version you have installed is only for 1.1.3 (and earlier 1.1.x versions).

There are instructions on how to download and install the development version for 1.2 in a post in the last couple of pages somewhere...

2 hours ago, Alexology said:

It seems that some of you are using KER in 1.2, what version should I DL for that?

You will need to download the version from the GitHib repository.  Please see this post (and a number following on the next page) for details of exactly what to do:

Also but off topic: Will a career on pre-release work after the update?

There's no "guarantee" that anything from the pre-release will work after the actual release but I would be very surprised if there are any problems (especially at this late stage, the release has been confirmed by Squad for Tuesday).

EDIT: Annnd it seems like Padishar beat me to it. 

It seems that some of you are using KER in 1.2, what version should I DL for that? 

Also but off topic: Will a career on pre-release work after the update?

1. It was discussed a few pages back (pg. 129?) but is now fairly buried so you can't be blamed for missing it. Basically you go into the KER GitHub repository and download the the whole zip. Then use only the  Output/KerbalEngineer  file to extract to the GameData Folder.

2. Your career save should work, but since it is a prerelease this is not a guarantee. It did carry over for me the last time KSP did a prerelease program. 

EDIT: For anybody else having trouble finding it.

On 9/15/2016 at 7:31 AM, cybutek said:

For the "adventurous" types among you; a version compiled for 1.2 is available on the GitHub. You'll need everything from within the 'Output' directory (an overwrite of the old 'KerbalEngineer.dll' won't suffice this time). Hint: it may be easier to download the repository as a zip and just extract out what's in the 'Output' directory rather than downloading each file individually :wink: 

It's not "release ready" but it's there to use, and feel free to leave any feedback you think could help.

Edited by Atrius129

I've been using KER for 1.2 pre-release.  Always used MJ2 before (with over 1600 hours of play); I'll not go back, because KER and PreciseNode do all I need.

Question: MJ2 has a window to plan rendezvous with planets; it gives number of days until I launch from Kerbin to make the intercept.  How would I use KER to plot a planet rendezvous?  Is that possible?  Or, will I need to still use MJ's function for that?

25 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

I've been using KER for 1.2 pre-release.  Always used MJ2 before (with over 1600 hours of play); I'll not go back, because KER and PreciseNode do all I need.

Question: MJ2 has a window to plan rendezvous with planets; it gives number of days until I launch from Kerbin to make the intercept.  How would I use KER to plot a planet rendezvous?  Is that possible?  Or, will I need to still use MJ's function for that?

Kerbal Alarm Clock can give you that functionality (and if you're not using it... you should!)

18 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Kerbal Alarm Clock can give you that functionality (and if you're not using it... you should!)

I don't thik so. Unless I'm missed something, transfer window planer do that. It use Kerbal alarm clock in combination to create alarm just before transfer window is scheduled.

Transfer window planer gives you only data you need for maneuver nod, while MJ can create whole maneuver nod for interplanetary transfer that you just need to execute, if you consider MJ executing maneuver burning as cheating. I have to admit that i never fully understand whole data that transfer window gives (phase and angle, relative to what ? for example).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.