[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Delta-V is the total amount of velocity change a vehicle is capable of. It's a function of total thrust, amount of fuel, specific impulse, and total mass of the vehicle. The same engine burning the same amount of fuel but having to push a more massive vehicle will get less delta-V.

Pretty much every maneuver you make in KSP requires a certain amount of delta-V to perform, so the amount of delta-V your vehicle is capable of represents, basically, where you will be able to go with it.

New 0.4.3 version available!

It has been a while but a new version is now available. Fixing some bugs, adjusting a few calculations and adding in a couple small features. I again thank everyone who has contributed with some great ideas and support.

P.S. Who on Kerbin gave my plugin a thumbs down on kerbal.net :mad:... At least it has 6 thumbs up :D hehehe

I accidentally clicked "Debris" instead of celstial objects, so I moved the window all the way up until I got to "Go back". Now the window renders off-screen, and since the window position is saved, I can't move it back.

Is there any key I can press, or a file I can edit?

I accidentally clicked "Debris" instead of celstial objects, so I moved the window all the way up until I got to "Go back". Now the window renders off-screen, and since the window position is saved, I can't move it back.

You could try deleting the plug-in and reinstall it, if you can't find a better way.

Try deleting KSP\PluginData\mscorlib\config.xml. Restart the game and you are good to go ;-)

While I love this plugin, there are a few really irritating bugs with it that make it more than a hassle to even bother using it.

Firstly, not so annoying; The strut problem that was pointed out a few weeks ago is still present, and makes it impossible to place struts without continually removing the chip every time you need to add struts.

Secondly, and most frustrating of all... Crashes. I've had the game crash on me a couple of times so far, and I don't doubt for one second that it's a division by zero issue. It's not an issue with mod conflicts, because I've tried with a fresh KSP directory too, the crashes are a direct result of the plugin, so if you could look into it, it would make what would otherwise be one of the best mods by far, even better.

I think I've found a bug in the latest (0.4.3) release. If I have the Engineer Chip on a rocket in the VAB, attempting to place a strut or fuel line will have me grab the second point instead of placing the strut/fuel line. The result is that the strut/fuel line is not placed and I have whatever part(s) I clicked on disconnected from the rocket. If I remove the Engineer Chip, the problem is fixed. Placing multiple Chips doesn't change the behavior. I've double checked that I have the 0.4.3 plugin and part installed.

Otherwise, all the new information and changes appear to be working as expected. This is a very great tool and I'm happy it's being worked on. I do have a question about the mass calculations with the MMI Kethane tanks. Is it intended that in the VAB, the weight and TWR calculations are supposed to be based on the Kethane tanks being full?

Hotfix now available, version 0.4.3.1!

Sorry about that... I tried to sort out that most annoying click through bug again, thinking that Squad may have fixed the bug which caused my plugin to have a bug in it. The cause is purely related to a bug within KSP where some variable doesn't get unlocked when unlocking the editor. I hope it didn't cause too much kafuffle. Only problem now is that the click through is still there :(, and it is one of the most annoying things ever in my opinion, although if you take a bit of care it isn't that much of a problem.

If anyone has any better ideas of how to stop click through without either locking and unlocking the editor, to stop selections whilst the mouse is over the window (other than there being a bug in the unlock code within KSP, this would of been perfect). Or capturing the mouse button events and discarding them before they are sent to the editor (don't think this is possible at plugin level). Please let me know.

Hotfix now available, version 0.4.3.2!

Fixed another Build Engineer bug and also added in an extra part without the Flight Engineer.

Edited by cybutek
New Hotfix!

I do have a question about the mass calculations with the MMI Kethane tanks. Is it intended that in the VAB, the weight and TWR calculations are supposed to be based on the Kethane tanks being full?

The mass and TWR within the VAB goes by the mass set in the part.cfg files. I believe that is supposed to be the full tanks. The actual mass of the tanks will be calculated as empty as soon as you start a flight, the Kethane plugin calculates this and updates the mass to its true value when it kicks in and activates at flight time.

Secondly, and most frustrating of all... Crashes. I've had the game crash on me a couple of times so far, and I don't doubt for one second that it's a division by zero issue. It's not an issue with mod conflicts, because I've tried with a fresh KSP directory too, the crashes are a direct result of the plugin, so if you could look into it, it would make what would otherwise be one of the best mods by far, even better.

I don't suppose you have any more detailed information of when this usually occurs? Is it whilst changing SOI, when a specific part breaks etc.? What type of engines are you using? Does it only happen with a specific display open? Loads of questions I know... But it all really helps to identify what is happening... If it is re-creatable that is the best kind of bug. If it's not easy to create, PM'ing me a zip of your persistence, ships being used and with a list of mods so I can try and re-create it myself would help loads. Especially if there's a quicksave just before it happens ;)

Edited by cybutek

Hmm. Since installing the 0.4.3.1 version, I can't get a ship to the launch pad. Any craft with the flight engineer on it hangs when I hit launch -> clear debris. The clear debris or abort launch panel just stays up, you can keep clicking it but to no avail. This is the only mod I'm using. Anyone else experience this?

Update: I rolled back to 0.4.2 and the issue went away completely...

Update update: 0.4.3.2 Fixed it right up. Thanks for the hard work man!

Edited by admiral_ant
Update

I don't suppose you have any more detailed information of when this usually occurs? Is it whilst changing SOI, when a specific part breaks etc.? What type of engines are you using? Does it only happen with a specific display open? Loads of questions I know... But it all really helps to identify what is happening... If it is re-creatable that is the best kind of bug. If it's not easy to create, PM'ing me a zip of your persistence, ships being used and with a list of mods so I can try and re-create it myself would help loads. Especially if there's a quicksave just before it happens ;)

I'll keep having a play around and try and narrow it down to one main cause, but it appears to be something to do with when it calculates the TWR. I'm using just stock parts. Stock liquid fuel tanks, and stock, non vectoring engines.

I've just spent a little bit of time in it again and managed to get it to crash again. Similar timing as usual. I have TWR visible, and "all stages" selected.

I'm going to apply the latest version, and see if I can get it to crash on me again. (Hopefully not :( )

I'll keep having a play around and try and narrow it down to one main cause, but it appears to be something to do with when it calculates the TWR. I'm using just stock parts. Stock liquid fuel tanks, and stock, non vectoring engines.

I've just spent a little bit of time in it again and managed to get it to crash again. Similar timing as usual. I have TWR visible, and "all stages" selected.

I'm going to apply the latest version, and see if I can get it to crash on me again. (Hopefully not :( )

I've not been able to re-create the crash but think I might know what could be possibly causing it if it is TWR related. Not certain though, so don't want to release a whole new version for no reason. If it does still crash, PM me and I'll link you to the slightly modified plugin file to test out.

I have a suggestion, though not sure if it's even feasible. Since we have so many mods now that can give us the delta-V required for interplanetary travel, would be nice to be able to import those numbers into the VAB to see if we have enough fuel to reach it before we launch. Nothing worse then getting all the way up there and finding out your 200 m/s short.

Also, I use this mainly to see if I have enough delta-V to reach orbit. It's nice because I can get in the ball park before I even launch then make small adjustments. The thing that would put this over the top is if you could somehow import your flight plan in MechJeb to the engineer mod and compare the amount of Delta-V that you'll need to reach orbit compared to what your vehicle can do. Everything needed should be there. MechJeb already calculates drag and gravity loses, in theory it should be able to calculate all that before hand based on your flight path that you adjust in the launch assist. Would be the first step to being able to do flight planning.

Again, know nothing about coding or no idea how hard this would be. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Forgive me if this has been reported before.

I noted that when the mod is active, (the part is attached to the ship in the VAB) you can no longer connect struts and fuel lines, if you try, then you'll instead pick up whatever you're trying to connect the strut/line to.. If you remove the part then then the problem goes away, putting it back causes the problems to come back.

So that's also the work around, when you're fiddling with struts and fuel lines temporarily remove the engineer part first. It's a bit of a nag, awesome mod otherwise. Thanks for all your efforts! ;)

This plugin will only display the longitude and latitude of where you are over the surface of the planet/moon. There is no actual landing computer as it is an aid to help manual flight. You will need fly to and initiate your burns over the landing site yourself.

The whole point of the Flight Engineer was to give you all the information needed to fly, without the temptation of using MechJeb's automation. Please note that this plugin does compliment MechJeb in many ways if you do wish to use them side by side. It is just that my personal goal for this plugin was to be able to fly completely manually, whilst still being as accurate as MechJeb (if you're a good enough pilot :D). Even to the point that the map will not be needed at all in future updates. :)

Well the only way I can think of to do my idea is using MechJeb to simulate the launch before you actually go, at least the only way I could think of without doing a base flight. That's why I suggested it.

On the first part about giving you a delta V amount needed to reach orbit in the VAB. The best way is to assume 4,500 to 5,000. This cannot be calculated because it varies so much on how you fly. If you fly slower you need more delta V to overcome gravity, and if you fly faster you need more because you're creating more drag. Sometimes your ship design will need that extra 200m/s, and sometimes you might have 200m/s to spare. That's where efficient flying comes into play and why there's an atmospheric density display, so you can plan your gravity turn based on when it is most efficient etc. (around 10k-12k)

MechJeb does not calculate your delta V using the ascent computer based on the ship design... It just records the deltaV used and how much of it was used to do a certain thing, ie. overcome drag. No matter what design you're using. It works in the complete opposite of the Flight Engineer. MechJeb says how much you've used (only when launching) in a very passive sense as it is happening. The Flight Engineer shows how much you have remaining (throughout the whole flight) in an active sense of analysing the ship.

This is one of them examples where both plugins do things completely differently but compliment each other nicely. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.