[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

53 minutes ago, Monchoman45 said:

For your convenience, that post was:

You should delete your old KerbalEngineer folder, then download the full source from github and extract the Output/KerbalEngineer folder. This will work and KER will load, but it obeys 1.1.3 rules when calculating your dV, so if you make use of new fuel flow modes you'll get incorrect dV readouts. But, with some common sense and a healthy fudge factor, you should be ok.

Link to cybutek's post.

21 hours ago, cephalo said:

I wonder, do the new fuel flow rules change the dv calculations? I can see that the crossfeed options do.

The deltaV calculation code in KER has not yet been updated to handle the changes to resource flow in KSP 1.2.  It will get done, it will just take some time due to not being able to easily utilise any of the stock code directly and not having a lot of free time to work on it.  I do have a couple of bodge fixes to the existing code that improve it a bit that I will try to release some time over the weekend.  The full support for adjustable tank priority (and other things like multi-vessel support and control over staging) will take longer...

Hi,

this is an essential mod and I always install it first! Cant play without it anymore. Helps me build, fly and plan the entire game. I wonder why it is not yet stock!

Please keep working on it!

Edit: Maybe Squad would give you the info about fuel flow you need!

Edited by GalacticAC

Are there any issues with TWR for the development version? My readout says the TWR is 2.20 and my rocket can't lift off.

NEVERMIND: There was some old mods in there somewhere.....I bleached my Gamedata folder and it works.  Thanks!

Edited by gerg1234
Fixed issue

On 10/14/2016 at 11:14 AM, Padishar said:

The deltaV calculation code in KER has not yet been updated to handle the changes to resource flow in KSP 1.2.  It will get done, it will just take some time due to not being able to easily utilise any of the stock code directly and not having a lot of free time to work on it.  I do have a couple of bodge fixes to the existing code that improve it a bit that I will try to release some time over the weekend.  The full support for adjustable tank priority (and other things like multi-vessel support and control over staging) will take longer...

For me, the minor difference in dV isn't a big deal. The only time it really matters is in an asparagus type of launcher, which I try my best to avoid anyway due to the fact that they're very unrealistic, and in which when I must use them, I still use fuel lines, which KER can still handle just fine.

The thing that -is- a problem is that KER doesn't recognize fuel flow to some of the new surface-attach engines, like the Pug, at all. Unless you attach the Pug to a node (in which case it does recognize it), it only reads the fuel actually contained in the engine's reserve tanks. I've used a cluster of Pugs in surface attach as the landing engines for a mining base, so I could attach the booster stages with a full 3.75m surface area. I worked around it by assuming the weight of six Pugs wouldn't change the dV of a hundred-ton mining base appreciably compared to one Pug, so figured the dV using one on node attach, so it's not critical, but...

The bigger problem I had is that starting around a week after you quasi-released the "adventurous" recompile, one of the 1.2 updates broke... something. KER began throwing hundreds of errors per second, which didn't seem to impact game performance, but was still annoying because it made any other errors impossible to see.

If you could fix that, and get it stable and not throwing errors, I think that'd be a great middle ground, and then you could take as long as it takes to adjust the fuel flow code otherwise, without feeling pressured.

Just a suggestion. :)

1 hour ago, Skylar' said:

is it possible to launch this old version on 1.2 somehow ?

On 10/12/2016 at 4:49 PM, Monchoman45 said:

For your convenience, that post was:

You should delete your old KerbalEngineer folder, then download the full source from github and extract the Output/KerbalEngineer folder. This will work and KER will load, but it obeys 1.1.3 rules when calculating your dV, so if you make use of new fuel flow modes you'll get incorrect dV readouts. But, with some common sense and a healthy fudge factor, you should be ok.

2 minutes ago, Leo_G. said:

Very well.  I will go cry in the corner until then.

Yes, come join the rest of us. :wink:

Edit: For clarity, KER for 1.2 is still in development and hasn't had a full release yet. There won't be anything in CKAN until that happens. The Github method is for if you're impatient.

Edited by Tybot
Clarity.

5 hours ago, Tybot said:

Edit: For clarity, KER for 1.2 is still in development and hasn't had a full release yet. There won't be anything in CKAN until that happens. The Github method is for if you're impatient.

No worries. Excellent mod, worth the wait. Good job and good luck to the developers.

There are aspects of KER which are useful without the dV numbers being correct, such as the HUDs giving info such as apoapsis and periapsis, though there are other mods which can provide that. I think Nanogauges might be anough, although I prefer the KER numeric readouts.

I am tempted to hit Github.

The interim release does indeed work pretty well, Wolf.

Manually adding fuel pipes as if it were a 1.1 craft, getting the DV info, then nuking the redundant pipes to make use of the (awesome) new fuel routing works pretty well. The extra mass saved from the nuked fuel pipes becomes a free safety margin :)

The HUDs are indeed one of the best things about KER and work just fine - the DV readout is clearly going to be a little flakey dependent upon craft design, but orbital parameters, current TWR, surface radar altitude etc all seem fine.

31 minutes ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

Question:

How do I copy my current saves KER settings so that I don't have to re-do the same settings every time I start a new save?!

KER's settings aren't stored in the save game, they are global to all saves and stored in the GameData\KerbalEngineer\Settings folder.  If you want to copy the settings to a different installation of KSP then you can simply copy the various files (HelpStrings.xml is supplied in the installation, the others are all settings).

4 hours ago, Padishar said:

KER's settings aren't stored in the save game, they are global to all saves and stored in the GameData\KerbalEngineer\Settings folder.  If you want to copy the settings to a different installation of KSP then you can simply copy the various files (HelpStrings.xml is supplied in the installation, the others are all settings).

Would an older settings file from an earlier version still work?

9 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

There are aspects of KER which are useful without the dV numbers being correct, such as the HUDs giving info such as apoapsis and periapsis, though there are other mods which can provide that. I think Nanogauges might be anough, although I prefer the KER numeric readouts.

I am tempted to hit Github.

In the meantime, if you'd be tided over with just the HUD elements, DMagic released a small mod called Basic Orbit to do just that. It's not -quite- as flexible in configuration as KER, but on the other hand it does dynamically adjust what it shows, so irrelevant information (like absurd negative Pe while still climbing toward orbit) only appear just when you'd want them to.

On 10/15/2016 at 4:06 PM, Tybot said:

22 hours ago, Shamus6200 said:

No worries. Excellent mod, worth the wait. Good job and good luck to the developers.

As Shamus said, it'll be worth the wait.  Though it would be nice to see Squad work out some kind of profit sharing deal and incorporate things like KER, KAS, KIS, and Landing Height Display or Radar Altitude into the stock game, as (I think) they should have been stock from the beginning.  By this point, you ABSOLUTELY @#*$ing AMAZING mod makers have done most of the heavy lifting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.