[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

19 minutes ago, sarbian said:

You should see mine :) I am still trying to decide between 2 approach. I ll most likely release the one that changes less code soonish and see if I actually do the one that require a larger rewrite later, depending on the success of the first code.

That's exactly what I've done, copy the existing GetSourceSet function and tweak it to return all sources that have the max priority value.  It rescans the vessel every time rather than modifying the previous results so it isn't exactly optimal, but it's a lot simpler than the old version or my new code that's similar to how the stock code works...

I've almost completely converted from using MechJeb information windows to using KER windows, but I keep finding myself making small MJ HUDs to fill in information that KER doesn't seem to provide.  In particular, I find the following MJ readouts to be indispensable:

RCS ∆v - KER doesn't seem to calculate RCS capabilities at all.

Altitude (bottom) - KER shows what appears to be the height of the craft's COM above the surface, but it's the height of the lowest part of the craft that matters.

Suicide Burn Countdown - KER shows distance to and also the altitude of the suicide burn point, but an actual countdown timer in seconds is more practical for timing the start of the burn.

Closest Approach Distance - KER shows all but what's probably the most important bit of information when you're trying to rendezvous... how close you're going to get on the current trajectory.

If any of this actually is available in KER, I would appreciate some pointers to where it's located.  If it's not, I would love to see this information offered.  I can live with mismatched HUD styles, but would prefer to consolidate it all to KER's style since it looks better, appears automatically when launching a new craft, and automatically hides the entries that aren't currently valid.

Edited by RoboRay

34 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

Altitude (bottom) - KER shows what appears to be the height of the craft's COM above the surface, but it's the height of the lowest part of the craft that matters.

For this one, you COULD use Diazo's LandingHeight mod... Its a simple, single .dll file, and ALL it does is change the stock altitude indicator, to display altitude from the lowest part on the craft... Once installed, you never have to do anything, and dont even know its there...

Edited by Stone Blue

4 hours ago, sarbian said:

You should see mine :) I am still trying to decide between 2 approach. I ll most likely release the one that changes less code soonish and see if I actually do the one that require a larger rewrite later, depending on the success of the first code.

Ehm you and Padishar are not working on the same code base? Why?

18 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

For this one, you COULD use Diazo's LandingHeight mod... Its a simple, single .dll file, and ALL it does is change the stock altitude indicator, to display altitude from the lowest part on the craft... Once installed, you never have to do anything, and dont even know its there...

I looked at that but, as a pilot, I prefer to have both altitudes displayed.  :)

And I'm already running MechJeb anyway, for some of the other features.

Edited by RoboRay

Just now, RoboRay said:

I looked at that but, as a pilot, I prefer to have both altitudes displayed.  :)

Don't worry, the only one of your suggestions that won't be particularly easy (and, hence, is unlikely to get done for quite a while) is the RCS deltaV, the others should all be reasonably straightforward.  I know that there's a pull request on KER to add an alternative to the suicide burn stuff as the current readouts are not particularly helpful and that may already include a countdown.  The altitude from the bottom of the vessel has bugged me for a long time, just not quite enough to make me do something about it, and I think the closest approach distance should be easy to get via the stock code.

That sounds great.  And if only one them doesn't get included in KER, the RCS ∆v is the easiest one to live with since I like to have the MJ button to toggle between using RCS for Rotation & Translation or just Translation on screen, and it's just natural to include the RCS ∆v with the button.

2 hours ago, Padishar said:

Don't worry, the only one of your suggestions that won't be particularly easy (and, hence, is unlikely to get done for quite a while) is the RCS deltaV, the others should all be reasonably straightforward.  I know that there's a pull request on KER to add an alternative to the suicide burn stuff as the current readouts are not particularly helpful and that may already include a countdown.  The altitude from the bottom of the vessel has bugged me for a long time, just not quite enough to make me do something about it, and I think the closest approach distance should be easy to get via the stock code.

The mod BetterBurnTime offers both time to suicide burn and closest approach, so maybe you can reuse some of the code?

2 hours ago, Padishar said:

Closest approach to a celestial body (the little grey marker on an orbit) is stupidly easy to get, the approach time is stored in the orbit (Orbit.closestTgtApprUT), thought if you want the closest approach after an encounter you'll have to go through all of the orbits to get the lowest periapsis (also easy).

Getting that information for vessels is a bit trickier. As long as you can get the correct orbits to use for the calculation the stock methods are all available, and as far as I can tell, they give results that match the map view orbit markers. 

42 minutes ago, paul23 said:

Does KER work for KSP 1.2.1? Curseforge states the last version works only up to 1.1?

Have you read any of the posts in the last couple of pages?  The latest dev version that works in 1.2.x was released in this post:

A frequent problem is with Apollo style missions. While I account for the lander while planning my delta-V in the VAB, I have problems in flight due to the engineer miscalculating burn times. It seems to ignore the docked lander, altering the node burn time and related readouts. (With my lander weighing about as much as the CSM, it is almost a factor of two).

It seems to refresh after scene changes, though, as I do not remember any docking issues other than that (stations/big ships readouts do work correctly).

It also may be some incompatibility, as I have a LOT of mods, and in particular the docking ports in question are from SSTU. So ignore this if you cannot reproduce it.

4 hours ago, APlayer said:

A frequent problem is with Apollo style missions. While I account for the lander while planning my delta-V in the VAB, I have problems in flight due to the engineer miscalculating burn times. It seems to ignore the docked lander, altering the node burn time and related readouts. (With my lander weighing about as much as the CSM, it is almost a factor of two).

It seems to refresh after scene changes, though, as I do not remember any docking issues other than that (stations/big ships readouts do work correctly).

It also may be some incompatibility, as I have a LOT of mods, and in particular the docking ports in question are from SSTU. So ignore this if you cannot reproduce it.

I've experienced the similar problem. When I assemble parts in the VAB the dV readings are correct, but when I dock objects in orbit KER shows weird things, it recognizes only a small part of the docked vessel. I use Ven Stock Revamp docking ports if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z31msOTkuHU&feature=youtu.be

5 hours ago, APlayer said:

A frequent problem is with Apollo style missions.

39 minutes ago, panzerwaffe044 said:

I've experienced the similar problem.

I will need either a save file or an output_log.txt file containing a simulation log (add the "Miscellaneous/Log Simulation" readout to one of your Flight Engineer windows and click the button when the window is showing the wrong values).

However, at this point, I'm not really interested in any issues in older versions of KER.  If the issue happens in KSP 1.2.1 with my latest dev build of KER (currently 1.1.2.5p) then I will do my best to find a solution but logs/saves/craft and a decent description of what you think is wrong will make it much more likely that I'll succeed...

8 hours ago, Darkstar One said:

I really like the way it is.

And you won't lose anything with the addition of an actual timer...  you can still use the much less useful distance readout.

More options are good.  You don't have to use them.  But nobody can use options that don't exist.

Edited by RoboRay

Just updated from 1.1.2.1p to 1.1.2.5p, and seems like the 'build engineer overlay part names popping up randomly when moving the cursor around' bug is gone?? If so, that's almost better than having the new fuel flow system working! Thanks Padishar! :D

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

Just updated from 1.1.2.1p to 1.1.2.5p, and seems like the 'build engineer overlay part names popping up randomly when moving the cursor around' bug is gone?? If so, that's almost better than having the new fuel flow system working! Thanks Padishar! :D

You're welcome.  Yes, that bug was fixed in 1.1.2.3p...

On 11/18/2016 at 1:41 AM, Padishar said:

I will need either a save file or an output_log.txt file containing a simulation log [...].

I will try to reproduce it once I have time. Not today, but tomorrow, that is.

On 11/18/2016 at 1:41 AM, Padishar said:

If the issue happens in KSP 1.2.1 with my latest dev build of KER (currently 1.1.2.5p) [...].

It does, and it also did in older versions. But, to answer the question, yes, it still persists.

Thanks for your patience with me. As I said, I will try to get a log tomorrow, because I didn't actually do the mission. I used KRASH to "simulate" it. I will try to reproduce and send the log, if I can retrieve it (As I said, I do not actually do the mission in my persistent.sfs). And please mind that my game is heavily modded. I will try to keep the save a clean as possible, but you know...

Edited by APlayer
Corrected Typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.