[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

34 minutes ago, releansol said:

Which file(s) should not be overwritten, when updating Ker myself, so that the customized windows are not deleted?

You should be safe to overwrite everything.  The customised windows are stored in files in the Settings folder and these files are not supplied in the download so won't get overwritten...

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Huh, I've always been removing the old KER folder before installing a new version, then moving over my xml files (some mods misbehave when old and new versions are merged). TIL I can do it more simply with KER. :) 

i always do that anyways, just to be sure, and then store the old folder in GameData - Outdated so I can do a quick revert if necessary

8 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Huh, I've always been removing the old KER folder before installing a new version, then moving over my xml files (some mods misbehave when old and new versions are merged). TIL I can do it more simply with KER. :) 

Yeah, it makes sense to delete, extract and restore settings for more major changes (e.g. when files are added or removed) but I've only been changing the main DLL so you could even just overwrite that.  I'm only packaging the whole thing up, rather than releasing just the DLL like I did last time, because the project build process now zips it up automatically and all I have to do is copy it to my dropbox (and add the p to the name)...

On the subject of which, here is the latest version of my development branch, 1.1.2.6p.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3yudz7k0gap76h/KerbalEngineer-1.1.2.6p.zip?dl=1

Since there haven't been any issues reported with the deltaV calculations, I've left it alone except for two minor tweaks, one to support parts with priority < -1000000 and the other to make STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH do a balanced drain of the parts with max priority.  This also includes:

• Planes and Relays added to target selector
  • Post burn period readout
  • Post burn inclination readout
  • Fixed issue with target selector not resizing correctly when target is changed by another method
  • Fixed a couple of description typos

Enjoy...

Edited by Padishar

17 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@Padishar Might it be worthwhile to add all the post-burn orbital data as options, as different things are important to different users? I use SMA when doing periapsis kicking, for instance. Might even be worth making a new default panel for maneuver node and post-burn orbit data.

Yes, it might be.  I've been thinking about changes to this area for a while.  It would also be useful to be able to select which part of the orbit the orbital values display so you can see what is happening after SOI changes.  This same ability should be available for the post-burn values, e.g. you could set up a node for a Mun transfer and set the post-burn readouts to show the part of the trajectory around Mun so you can easily see your resultant Pe and inclination.  The post-burn values should also support multiple nodes, so you could set up both nodes of a Hohmann and see the values of the final resulting orbit.  I'm thinking these selections could be made with special readouts, [<] Node 1 [>] to select which node for the new Maneuver panel and [<] Kerbin [>] to select which section of the trajectory is shown...

1 minute ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

How do I copy all my windows & settings from one save to another?

The settings aren't stored in the save.  If you actually mean how do you copy the settings from one install of KSP to another, then you can just copy the contents of the GameData\KerbalEngineer\Settings folder (tell it to skip HelpStrings.xml because that is supplied in the install and may have been updated in the new version).

1 minute ago, Padishar said:

The settings aren't stored in the save.  If you actually mean how do you copy the settings from one install of KSP to another, then you can just copy the contents of the GameData\KerbalEngineer\Settings folder (tell it to skip HelpStrings.xml because that is supplied in the install and may have been updated in the new version).

So there's no way to copy my windows?

It takes a long time to get each window with the settings I want and into the right place. And when you start a new save, it's all different and you have to re-do everything.

1 minute ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

And when you start a new save, it's all different and you have to re-do everything.

You certainly shouldn't have to.  The KER settings are global to the installation of KSP so all saves in the same installation should use the same ones...

8 minutes ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

So there's no way to copy my windows?

It takes a long time to get each window with the settings I want and into the right place. And when you start a new save, it's all different and you have to re-do everything.

6 minutes ago, Padishar said:

You certainly shouldn't have to.  The KER settings are global to the installation of KSP so all saves in the same installation should use the same ones...

Does this apply to transferring KER gui windows from KSP 1.1.3 to 1.2? Thanks for your patience.

1 minute ago, Victor3 said:

Does this apply to transferring KER gui windows from KSP 1.1.3 to 1.2? Thanks for your patience.

Yes:

14 minutes ago, Padishar said:

If you actually mean how do you copy the settings from one install of KSP to another, then you can just copy the contents of the GameData\KerbalEngineer\Settings folder (tell it to skip HelpStrings.xml because that is supplied in the install and may have been updated in the new version).

2 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Oh you know what, I forgot I nuked my gamedata folder. Let me try restoring the kerbal engineer folder and see if that restores the settings.

6 minutes ago, JayPee said:

Is this a release release, or a beta release?

It's the latest build of my development branch.  It won't be a "release release" until my pull request is merged into Cybutek's repository and he puts out a release.  We're getting close to the stage where my branch is considered good enough but we're not quite there yet.  The deltaV calculation code has only supported the new KSP 1.2 fuel flow for 4 days so it needs a bit more testing out in the wild before I'll be happy there isn't some strange problem.

I'm going to run some tests of my own when I can but I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone using it with different mod engines that use non-standard resources...

On 11/18/2016 at 11:07 PM, APlayer said:

I will try to reproduce it once I have time. Not today, but tomorrow, that is.

Sorry for not having done this, I didn't have enough time. In fact I already got distracted too much with science articles and should not be lurking around here too, but you know how it is every time. :wink::P

I am moving this to an indefinite time, probably Wednesday. Sorry again, and keep up the great work.

Edited by APlayer
Corrected Typo

On 11/19/2016 at 8:08 AM, Padishar said:

On the subject of which, here is the latest version of my development branch, 1.1.2.6p.

Hey, I've been doing some testing with MemGraph to try to figure out where high rate of garbage is coming from in 1.2, adding this KER to a very clean save adds about 6-7MB/s in flight view. Seems to be related to showing HUDs as well as the control bar as when I start up with that hidden I'm at about 1.1MB/s and it ramps up as I show (default) HUDs and the control bar.

1 hour ago, IraqiWalker said:

Total newb here, so where do I go for the latest KER version? Cuz I thought the one in the OP was outdated, or am I wrong?

Not an official release. If you want you can download the files off the github in OP and use the contents of the output folder.

Edited by antilochus

6 hours ago, antilochus said:

Hey, I've been doing some testing with MemGraph to try to figure out where high rate of garbage is coming from in 1.2, adding this KER to a very clean save adds about 6-7MB/s in flight view. Seems to be related to showing HUDs as well as the control bar as when I start up with that hidden I'm at about 1.1MB/s and it ramps up as I show (default) HUDs and the control bar.

Yes, the excessive garbage creation due to the UI code is known about (though 6-7 MB/s sounds a bit high unless you have loads of readouts visible).  I'll be making some improvements to it soon but it really needs considerable work to refactor the code to generate less string concatenation/conversion garbage and to switch away from the old GUILayout based code.  The first part of this is something I can do but the second requires both knowledge of how the existing KER UI code works and knowledge of how the new UI API in Unity 5 works, neither of which I have a lot of.

3 hours ago, antilochus said:

Not an official release. If you want you can download the files off the github in OP and use the contents of the output folder.

Yes, download version 1.1.2.6p from the post linked above (also linked in my sig).  The version in the main GitHub repo was the initial fixes that Cybutek did to make it work at all in KSP 1.2 but my dev version has lots of other fixes and new features.

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:08 PM, Padishar said:

Yeah, it makes sense to delete, extract and restore settings for more major changes (e.g. when files are added or removed) but I've only been changing the main DLL so you could even just overwrite that.  I'm only packaging the whole thing up, rather than releasing just the DLL like I did last time, because the project build process now zips it up automatically and all I have to do is copy it to my dropbox (and add the p to the name)...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3yudz7k0gap76h/KerbalEngineer-1.1.2.6p.zip?dl=1

Since there haven't been any issues reported with the deltaV calculations, I've left it alone except for two minor tweaks, one to support parts with priority < -1000000 and the other to make STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH do a balanced drain of the parts with max priority.  This also includes:

• Planes and Relays added to target selector
  • Post burn period readout
  • Post burn inclination readout
  • Fixed issue with target selector not resizing correctly when target is changed by another method
  • Fixed a couple of description typos

Enjoy...

Nice1 for the patches, helps a lot :wink:

5 hours ago, Padishar said:

Yes, the excessive garbage creation due to the UI code is known about (though 6-7 MB/s sounds a bit high unless you have loads of readouts visible).

I think this is FPS related -- my FPS is uncapped and runs 150-300. Is there a refresh rate setting (I seem to recall one in VAB) or should I just try capping to 60?

Just now, antilochus said:

I think this is FPS related -- my FPS is uncapped and runs 150-300. Is there a refresh rate setting (I seem to recall one in VAB) or should I just try capping to 60?

Ahhh, yes, at 150+ fps it will generate a lot more as most of the garbage is generated per rendered frame.  There isn't currently a way of capping the update speed in KER (this is one of the "fixes" that I've got planned that requires some substantial refactoring).  The control you're thinking about in the VAB is probably the simulation timer but that only affects the simulation code which has already been pretty heavily optimised to generate less garbage.  Your best bet is to either set the cap to 60 in the main settings or to turn vsync on, there really is no point having that many frames rendered per second, you're just making your CPU and GPU work harder for no real benefit...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.