[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Hey Guys,

I have a question on KER, because i get "wrong" calculations, or at least i don`t understand them.

I want to start Boosters after my liquid fuel engine, so i set the boosters in the next stage after my liquid fuel engines. Now my Liquid Fuel Stage is not displayed unless i activate all stages. The TWR is visible and should be correct, but there is no Delta-V to my liquid fuel stage?

here is a picture what i mean: http://imgur.com/a/r4q7A

Can someone explain this to me?

Second minor question, is it possible to move the Vessel and Resources tab in the bottom to another place?

2 hours ago, Skalio said:

Hey Guys,

I have a question on KER, because i get "wrong" calculations, or at least i don`t understand them.

I want to start Boosters after my liquid fuel engine, so i set the boosters in the next stage after my liquid fuel engines. Now my Liquid Fuel Stage is not displayed unless i activate all stages. The TWR is visible and should be correct, but there is no Delta-V to my liquid fuel stage?

here is a picture what i mean: http://imgur.com/a/r4q7A

Can someone explain this to me?

Second minor question, is it possible to move the Vessel and Resources tab in the bottom to another place?

the DeltaV is there, problem is when you drain the main liquid tank the boosters will drag dead weight, and that is an empty fuel tank+engine, since you cannot separate the liquid tank without loosing boosters too.

what you can do is have 1 booster and 2 liquid engines,image it like this.

Same setup like in your picture just the other way around.

And to your second question, that i do not know. try looking in settings while in game.

KER makes assumptions on when you do your staging. In this case it assumes you'd activate the boosters immediately after activating the mainsail ... because that would be the sane thing to do. :wink:

So in effect, it's showing you stage S2 with 0m/s, and probably 0s burntime. Then S1 is the Mainsail burning together with the boosters.

KER doesn't give you the numbers you want, because it can not know when you actually activate the boosters.

Edited by Chaos_Klaus

Thanks for your answers, i have a contract to ignite the boosters at 3000km and i wanted to use my normal engines to get the boosters there, thats why i wanted to activate the boosters later and look how far i can go with the normal engines. 

But i will try the 1 Booster, 2 liquid fuel system, may work :)

11 hours ago, dtoxic said:

And to your second question, that i do not know. try looking in settings while in game.

The only Setting i found seems to change of displayed or not, but still dont know if i can move them?

For most people having trouble with KER calculations, I still think this tutorial of mine gives you the best way to build with KER and not get it confused in the least because it only has to look at a single stage at a time but you can keep track of what Δv each stage has to ensure your mission requirements are met. Of course, I haven't built anything yet with the new fuel system but it still applies for your basic & simplistic multi-stage rockets

http://www.kerbalspace.agency/?page_id=64

Edited by Drew Kerman

On 2/27/2017 at 7:04 PM, Drew Kerman said:

For most people having trouble with KER calculations, I still think this tutorial of mine gives you the best way to build with KER and not get it confused in the least because it only has to look at a single stage at a time but you can keep track of what Δv each stage has to ensure your mission requirements are met. Of course, I haven't built anything yet with the new fuel system but it still applies for your basic & simplistic multi-stage rockets

http://www.kerbalspace.agency/?page_id=64

@Drew Kerman I am relatively new to KSP (250 hours) and am at the point where I am building ships to get to Eve and Duna.  Most of the time I use a brute force technique and just overbuild excessively to get there.  I am now trying to build more efficient craft using KER data and the dV map.

I read the link you referenced and am trying to understand the purpose of using the NRAP test weight rather than just building the stages all at one time and how that relates to the data KER displays with respect to dV.

2 hours ago, BentRim said:

I read the link you referenced and am trying to understand the purpose of using the NRAP test weight rather than just building the stages all at one time and how that relates to the data KER displays with respect to dV.

Most of the confusion that results from KER dV readouts comes from assembling an entire rocket and leaving KER with the sometimes difficult job of understanding exactly how you have that rocket setup to be staged and utilized through the flight - especially the ascent. This method gives KER an extremely simple view of the rocket to ensure its dV reading is accurate. So it doesn't work with fancy setups like asparagus staging or if you plan to pump liquid fuel around, but for a rocket with several discrete stages it works great and also leaves you with modular pieces you can assemble into various configurations through the use of sub-assemblies.

Anyone else able to use KER with Real Fuels, it seems to be really hit and miss for me.  Sometimes showing accurate, sometimes just showing 0, sometimes showing a wildly inaccurate number.  It might say 150 deltav, then in flight when i ignite the engine it jumps to 2000 delta v.

Similar thing, also rocket engines current TWR isn't displayed, but maximum is.

Also, delta-v stats may appear correctly, but after engine ingition it all goes crasy or just sets to 0.

On the other side, MechJeb's readouts appear to be correct at all times.

On 03/02/2017 at 8:28 PM, renhanxue said:

(like, literally, it hooks Update() and starts a new simulation as soon as the previous one is complete)

Yes, there are currently some issues with how the simulation code is handling RealFuels engines that make it pretty unusable and I've had too much other stuff going on to find the time to look into it yet (I've hardly touched KSP in the last couple of months).

I'm trying to add the Post Burn Inclination to my Orbital display, but it's not showing up. In fact none of the "Post Burn" options are appearing after I add them. I've tried to play around with options that are already added, and I can remove and re-add them all I want with no problems.

Edit: Reinstalling the mod did nothing. More playing around has confirmed the only options that aren't showing up are the ones marked "Post burn".

Edited by NomenNescio

• 2 weeks later...

I got a bug and checked the last few pages and didn't see it posted so here it is:

It seems like engines attached through some radial docking ports don't calculate fuel from the other side of a docking port pairing.  I have a station core with tanks, no engines itself.  For this example I use LV-N and LF, but same bug appears with LFO engines and tanks.  I use the merge or subassembly tool to add 2 engine modules to the core.  The KER readout in VAB and in flight won't add the fuel stored beyond the engine modules docking ports in this configuration.  If a fuel line is added, it calculates correctly.  If I re-root the engine module to use the top port, and attach it to the bottom Sr. port (ignoring how wrong that feels) it calculates everything properly.  If I take that nodal top port and put them on the radial core ports, it works fine.  If I take the default radial root port of the engine module and attach it to the sr. port it usually won't work, but sometimes it does and further testing hasn't revealed to me why it sometimes gives different results.  Port crossfeed and tanks access are open in all cases.  I also have another older screenshot of a post Jool injection where the total dV reads 0, but fuel is available.  However, that stack of craft has all kinds of stuff going on in staging and isn't an isolated example of the bug.

Here is a link to the album.

Here are links to the craft files:

KSS - Core

NEMO - LV-N Engine Module

Note: the stations tanks in the file default to not drain, you will have to enable the LF flow to see the bug.

If I missed something small or this is a known issue, my bad, please let me know.  Thanks for everything, this is my most critical mod for KSP!

5 hours ago, Padishar said:

@Amechwarrior, thanks for the report.  It will take a bit of looking into, though I'm not sure when I'll be able to as I'm very busy with other things at the moment (I haven't even installed 1.2.9 yet)...

No problem, it's not hard to just plop down some fuel lines and remove them in the mean time.  Thanks for all the work!

heads up, incoming bug report! It appears that the kerbalCrewMass setting in the physics globals file is also being applied to landing gear, of all things :huh:

@PHYSICSGLOBALS
{
  // http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/15451-the-mass-of-a-kerbal/
  @kerbalCrewMass = 0.03125
}

The mass of the gear changes according to the number of kerbals you have in a pod, if the gear is attached to a pod. Tested this under v1.2.2 with just Squad, MM, Kerbal Engineer and Loading Screen Manager installed. Was not a fun issue to track down, lol

Edit: ok, actually now that I know what to look for it seems the extra kerbal mass is being applied to everything - it's just the landing gear was the most obvious descrepancy to me since they don't carry any fuel or modules that would affect their weight when I was looking into why my aircraft suddenly weighed so much

But hey, thanks a bunch for accounting for kerbal mass properly in pods! Annoying the game itself does not do so in the editor.

Edited by Drew Kerman

2 minutes ago, EstebanLB said:

There is, go to the settings in KER, you will find it somewhere

there is but it;s all or nothing, i wanted to remove the one when you hover over the part but leave the bottom info panel, so as i said it;s all or nothing

Just now, dtoxic said:

there is but it;s all or nothing, i wanted to remove the one when you hover over the part but leave the bottom info panel, so as i said it;s all or nothing

What do you mean by the bottom part? There is an option to turn off the part tooltip on mouseover and just that, leaving everything else like it is

hmmm, ok just so we are on the same page, the setting you are referring is "Build Engineer Overlay" there are 3 settings "Visible" this toggles the overlay on the mouse and the bottom panel, then there is "Names Only" and "Click to open"

none of these settings can remove just the Overlay when you hover with mouse over a part but leave the bottom panel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.