[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

10 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Sooo, no one knows if this is gonna get updated? Because its really gonna be missed. =/

Please be patient.  @cybutek is still logging into the KSP forums, but he's posted before he's had some real life issues that prevent him from spending the time he wishes on his mods.  I'm sure he'll address this as soon as he can.

It's against forum policy to pester mod writers when an update will be done.  They write mods in their spare time for the love of KSP and wanting to make it better.  Every moment they spend modding is one they can't spend playing KSP.  Real life and other demands often prevent them from modding and even playing KSP.

Adapting a mod to a new KSP version takes time.  I consider KSP not worth playing without a few key mods, like the engineering mods including KER.  This usually takes a month or two.  I keep a copy of the previous KSP which I mod and play until the mods catch up.

There's also the other two engineering mods, MechJeb and VOID.  I use all 3 (KER especially for its window in the VAB, VOID for its HUDs, and MechJeb for its customizable windows in flight mode) partly so I can shift between them.  Both MechJeb and VOID don't have a KSP 1.4.1 version out, but their authors are working on that and they will be available as soon as possible.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

we need /\ V in stock game 

Yes we do.  I'm surprised so many vital and simple things like delta-V haven't been included in stock KSP by now.

38 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Please be patient.  @cybutek is still logging into the KSP forums, but he's posted before he's had some real life issues that prevent him from spending the time he wishes on his mods.  I'm sure he'll address this as soon as he can.

It's against forum policy to pester mod writers when an update will be done.  They write mods in their spare time for the love of KSP and wanting to make it better.  Every moment they spend modding is one they can't spend playing KSP.  Real life and other demands often prevent them from modding and even playing KSP.

Adapting a mod to a new KSP version takes time.  I consider KSP not worth playing without a few key mods, like the engineering mods including KER.  This usually takes a month or two.  I keep a copy of the previous KSP which I mod and play until the mods catch up.

There's also the other two engineering mods, MechJeb and VOID.  I use all 3 (KER especially for its window in the VAB, VOID for its HUDs, and MechJeb for its customizable windows in flight mode) partly so I can shift between them.  Both MechJeb and VOID don't have a KSP 1.4.1 version out, but their authors are working on that and they will be available as soon as possible.

Yes we do.  I'm surprised so many vital and simple things like delta-V haven't been included in stock KSP by now.

And you can actually pretty easily recompiled KER for 1.4.1 from the source, which can be found in the OP.

2 minutes ago, Warezcrawler said:

And you can actually pretty easily recompiled KER for 1.4.1 from the source, which can be found in the OP.

I've got great programming skills and have done things like craft complex make files.  But I haven't mastered setting up and using the IDE for cranking out KSP mods, so recompiling a mod from source for a new KSP version is an very non-trivial task.  This isn't like Debian where doing something like producing compiled packages from the source triplets has been thoroughly documented and made as simple as possible.  I wouldn't expect an average forum user to be able to do so.  Especially when even if they get things set up, they're far too likely to run into compile bugs due to the changes in the new KSP version that they won't be able to resolve.

17 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I've got great programming skills and have done things like craft complex make files.  But I haven't mastered setting up and using the IDE for cranking out KSP mods, so recompiling a mod from source for a new KSP version is an very non-trivial task.  This isn't like Debian where doing something like producing compiled packages from the source triplets has been thoroughly documented and made as simple as possible.  I wouldn't expect an average forum user to be able to do so.  Especially when even if they get things set up, they're far too likely to run into compile bugs due to the changes in the new KSP version that they won't be able to resolve.

Sorry about that... I don't know if the license permits me to distribute an unofficial update - so I'm not sure I can help you that much.

I can only say, that recompiling the 1.3 version of KER to 1.4.1 only demands updating some references and using Visual Studio to recompile. Alternatively I sure there will be an update of KER sooner or later.....

8 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:

Sorry about that... I don't know if the license permits me to distribute an unofficial update - so I'm not sure I can help you that much.

I agree with your good point about being careful with the licence.  It's an All-Rights-Reserved mod, so I'd err on the side of caution and say you shouldn't distribute a modified version of KER.

I've got KSP 1.3.1 for now and there's a bunch of other mods I'm waiting on for 1.4.1 versions.  There's also MechJeb and VOID, which I think will be updated sooner.

EDIT: I really made a mistake above.  Checking the first post. @cybutek licenced KER under the GPL v3.  Which is about as far as possible from ARR as you can get.  @Warezcrawler, my apologies.

Edited by Jacke

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

Both MechJeb and VOID don't have a KSP 1.4.1 version out, but their authors are working on that and they will be available as soon as possible.

MJ dev release were out on the 7th and the official release was out 2 days ago. 

But yes, let the modders breathe. We all have lives beside this.

Hi I've made an updated version of KER for 1.4.1. This fixes the issue with engine plates, and apparently also a longstanding issue of the VAB calculations always assuming a decoupler leaves with the decoupled part, it now checks the decoupler type and direction and keeps the mass where it should.

This isn't meant to replace a real update from cybutek, I'm sure he could fix this quicker and more elegantly than I could, but it should get you by.

https://github.com/jrbudda/KerbalEngineer/releases/tag/1.1.4.0

If there's any remaining issues or I broke something let me know, I muddled through this a bit.

15 hours ago, jrbudda said:

Hi I've made an updated version of KER for 1.4.1. This fixes the issue with engine plates, and apparently also a longstanding issue of the VAB calculations always assuming a decoupler leaves with the decoupled part, it now checks the decoupler type and direction and keeps the mass where it should.

This isn't meant to replace a real update from cybutek, I'm sure he could fix this quicker and more elegantly than I could, but it should get you by.

https://github.com/jrbudda/KerbalEngineer/releases/tag/1.1.4.0

If there's any remaining issues or I broke something let me know, I muddled through this a bit.

Thanks

Can I ask if I may propose the following change to CreateEngineSims in PartSim.cs. The current code builds on logic about multimode engines from the stock multimode module. However, this updated version simply loops the enginemodules in the part, and uses the field "isEnabled" to determine if it should be considered for simulation. "isEnabled" is the same field that the stock multimode sets when switching engines modules in the rapier.

This update will ensure compatibility of KER GTIndustries multimode mod, as well as being more generic.

public void CreateEngineSims(List<EngineSim> allEngines, double atmosphere, double mach, bool vectoredThrust, bool fullThrust, LogMsg log)
{
	if (log != null) log.AppendLine("CreateEngineSims for ", this.name);
	List<ModuleEngines> cacheModuleEngines = part.FindModulesImplementing<ModuleEngines>();

try
	{
		if (cacheModuleEngines.Count > 0)
		{
			//find first active engine, assuming that two are never active at the same time
			foreach (ModuleEngines engine in cacheModuleEngines)
			{
				if (engine.isEnabled)
				{
					if (log != null) log.AppendLine("Module: ", engine.moduleName);
					EngineSim engineSim = EngineSim.New(
						this,
						engine,
						atmosphere,
						(float)mach,
						vectoredThrust,
						fullThrust,
						log);
					allEngines.Add(engineSim);
				}
			}
		}
	}
	catch
	{
		Debug.Log("[KER] Error Catch in CreateEngineSims");
	}
}

This would be much appreciated.

24 minutes ago, barleyman said:

Daft question, how do I move the overlay windows at bottom left in VAB? they're partially obscuring the "snap" button.. No obvious way to do it and search turns up nothing. 

I am currently not at my KSP computer. Hopefully manage to describe it from my memory. 

In KSP folder 

GameData > KerbalEngineer > Settings 

Open buildOverlay.xml in a text editor, look for "vesselwindow", in the value field with number 300 something add extra. I added 50 extra. I am quite sure it specifies pixels. 

KSP: 1.4.1 with DLC Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

Problem: KER

Mods Installed:  Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.4.0

Reproduction Steps:

Download and unzip folder to the Game data folder, Start KSP, after completion of the DLC part 2 game crashes. If I remove 1.1.4.0 and reinstall 1.1.3.0(modified to work with 1.4.1) game load and does not crash, Included below is  the log. I don't have a box, or other account but have uploaded to my personal website.

Log:

output_log.zip

On 21/03/2018 at 9:01 PM, Sunesha said:

I am currently not at my KSP computer. Hopefully manage to describe it from my memory. 

In KSP folder 

GameData > KerbalEngineer > Settings 

Open buildOverlay.xml in a text editor, look for "vesselwindow", in the value field with number 300 something add extra. I added 50 extra. I am quite sure it specifies pixels. 

Why thank you, that got it done! 

Pretty much every other mod I've tried lets you move stuff around so I was stumped looking for some setting I'm missing..

KER Is now working fine for me. i poked a few things in the folder (Not sure what i unbroke, but hey it works) gonna try out the un offical fixes posted above.

[Edit] Un official fix unfixed my Dv readouts. Now my mun rocket has 0 Dv apparently =( ) 

Edited by Mark Kerbin

Been trying to play 1.4.1 lately without KER and it really made me realize how much I depend on it!

I've never really voiced this, but thank you so much for all the free time you have spent (and maybe will spend) on providing us with this insanely important functionality!

14 hours ago, Jognt said:

Been trying to play 1.4.1 lately without KER and it really made me realize how much I depend on it!

I've never really voiced this, but thank you so much for all the free time you have spent (and maybe will spend) on providing us with this insanely important functionality!

Some mods seem to be need to have to play KSP. I agree, KER is absolutely one of my need to have mods...

On 3/26/2018 at 9:44 AM, Mark Kerbin said:

KER Is now working fine for me. i poked a few things in the folder (Not sure what i unbroke, but hey it works) gonna try out the un offical fixes posted above.

[Edit] Un official fix unfixed my Dv readouts. Now my mun rocket has 0 Dv apparently =( ) 

Got a screenshot? Also I've updated my fork several times, try again with whatever is the latest.

7 hours ago, jrbudda said:

Got a screenshot? Also I've updated my fork several times, try again with whatever is the latest.

I can certainly take screenshots of the working stuff. 

All I did was  

1. Install  Normally

2. Pray

3. Change KER's settings in the UI

4. ?????

5. Profit 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.