[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

15 hours ago, Tyko said:

All my craft are showing a heading of 0.09721 degrees in KER when sitting on the launch pad. I'm not sure if this is a KER issue or if KER is correctly reporting a game issue.

Does anyone else see this?

The launch pad isn't exactly at 0 degrees, so this is probably correct.

Tested this in 1.4.2: All seems to be working, has anybody seen any issues?

34 minutes ago, Rohaq said:

The launch pad isn't exactly at 0 degrees, so this is probably correct.

Tested this in 1.4.2: All seems to be working, has anybody seen any issues?

Only that in previous versions of KSP the pad was correctly oriented and KER would show 0 degrees - sometimes with a little imprecision at the 1000ths of a degree, but not off by nearly as much.

3 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Only that in previous versions of KSP the pad was correctly oriented and KER would show 0 degrees - sometimes with a little imprecision at the 1000ths of a degree, but not off by nearly as much.

It sounds like maybe the launchpad is more level than it was before, where previously it was tilted slightly to the north.

56 minutes ago, Cratzz said:

I can't seem to find fuel consumption readout, is there any? If so under what category/name, Thx

I don't believe there is any. But you have delta v, and how long you can keep you burn going before running out of fuel.

On 4.4.2018 at 6:31 AM, Tyko said:

All my craft are showing a heading of 0.09721 degrees in KER when sitting on the launch pad

I guess Squad wanted to do us "a favor" when setting the heading of the launch pad to the exact inclination of that coordinates ...

Is there anyway to show RCS delta-v during flight? I can't find it anywhere in the edit section.

I know I can calculate it myself w/ teh rocket equation, or use the RCS build aid mod (which I do use but it's limited to VAB only) but I'm looking for a way to see it during flight as some of my re-usable landers are RCS only.

Also it would be sweet to know in general on any craft, in case of emergencies :D

1 hour ago, TheBok said:

Is there anyway to show RCS delta-v during flight? I can't find it anywhere in the edit section.

I know I can calculate it myself w/ teh rocket equation, or use the RCS build aid mod (which I do use but it's limited to VAB only) but I'm looking for a way to see it during flight as some of my re-usable landers are RCS only.

Also it would be sweet to know in general on any craft, in case of emergencies :D

KER does nothing with RCS as far as I can tell. Shouldn't be too hard to add, just have to be careful around vernor engines and mono-burning non-rcs engines.

40 minutes ago, jrbudda said:

KER does nothing with RCS as far as I can tell. Shouldn't be too hard to add, just have to be careful around vernor engines and mono-burning non-rcs engines.

That would be amazing :D I believe that mono burning non RCS engines currently do show delta v in KER - at least it does with the few I tested. I was using such engines in the past to estimate my dv's in the VAB before I discovered the delta v function in RCS Build Aid. Not sure about vernor engines as I've barely used them.

8 hours ago, TheBok said:

MechJeb has a custom field that shows RCS delta-V.  Likely calculated, but obviously doable.  You could put in MechJeb and make a custom window with just the RCS delta-V.

@jrbudda with Kopernicus and OPM I get those:

KerbalEngineer ->  // Array index is out of range.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

KerbalEngineer ->   at MapSO.GetPixelColor (Int32 x, Int32 y) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CBAttributeMapSO.GetPixelColor (Double x, Double y) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CBAttributeMapSO.GetAtt (Double lat, Double lon) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceUtil.GetExperimentBiome (.CelestialBody body, Double lat, Double lon) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Surface.ImpactProcessor.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

and some of those

KerbalEngineer ->  // Object reference not set to an instance of an object

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

KerbalEngineer ->   at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildOverlayResources.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

The last session created a huge log, a lot of Kopernicus errors, I already opened a thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/173537-lot-of-nre-with-kopernicuscomponents/
You also find the full log there.

I have no clue where to start to find the culprit.

Most ppl say "remove half of the mods..." etc. but many mods depend on each other or have patches for each other and just simply removing mods is not always the path to the solution - I know that from my last 3 years of (interrupted) KSP experience. But I know, that is just stubborn and that's it....
My idea is to find a way to solve issues which occur inside a modded install by using that modded install as base to find these same issues. But perhaps the Unity engine doesn't allow this because it spits out logs that say 30% and hold back 70% of needful information...

2 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@jrbudda with Kopernicus and OPM I get those:

KerbalEngineer ->  // Array index is out of range.

KerbalEngineer ->   at MapSO.GetPixelColor (Int32 x, Int32 y) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CBAttributeMapSO.GetPixelColor (Double x, Double y) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CBAttributeMapSO.GetAtt (Double lat, Double lon) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceUtil.GetExperimentBiome (.CelestialBody body, Double lat, Double lon) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Surface.ImpactProcessor.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

and some of those

KerbalEngineer ->  // Object reference not set to an instance of an object

KerbalEngineer ->   at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildOverlayResources.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

The last session created a huge log, a lot of Kopernicus errors, I already opened a thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/173537-lot-of-nre-with-kopernicuscomponents/
You also find the full log there.

I have no clue where to start to find the culprit.

Most ppl say "remove half of the mods..." etc. but many mods depend on each other or have patches for each other and just simply removing mods is not always the path to the solution - I know that from my last 3 years of (interrupted) KSP experience. But I know, that is just stubborn and that's it....
My idea is to find a way to solve issues which occur inside a modded install by using that modded install as base to find these same issues. But perhaps the Unity engine doesn't allow this because it spits out logs that say 30% and hold back 70% of needful information...

Could you open a github issue with this please? That way I can find it again and test fixes. Obviously mod conflicts but likely need to be fixed in KER.

On 4/6/2018 at 3:21 AM, TheBok said:

That would be amazing :D I believe that mono burning non RCS engines currently do show delta v in KER - at least it does with the few I tested. I was using such engines in the past to estimate my dv's in the VAB before I discovered the delta v function in RCS Build Aid. Not sure about vernor engines as I've barely used them.

Aww yea we close now, boys.

8d037d88f43f83e3c4f54e0004aeaa1b.png

69802bfef40b07dbc2a2200b15ffb7df.png

For anyone interested in this RCS thing:

The RCS calculation is done via a mini-simulation. It's done twice per stage: before and after the stage simulation. It's kinda like a hypothetical 'what if I burned all my rcs fuel now?' thing. This is why, in the VAB screenshot, there's 2 values per stage for TWR and DeltaV, the first value is the start of the stage, the (second) is the end of the stage, after burning all the 'normal' fuel, but before staging.

And since it's a simulation, it works with RCS modules no matter what propellant. I've only tested the stock ones with mono and vernor engines, but it should handle any mod part with any fuel type(s) so long as it's a ModuleRCS.

The burn time is highly inaccurate since it's very hard to actually fire all the rcs engines at once at full blast.

I may add RCS Torque to the calculations if I can make it meaningful. Open to other suggestions.

2 hours ago, jrbudda said:

For anyone interested in this RCS thing:

The RCS calculation is done via a mini-simulation. It's done twice per stage: before and after the stage simulation. It's kinda like a hypothetical 'what if I burned all my rcs fuel now?' thing. This is why, in the VAB screenshot, there's 2 values per stage for TWR and DeltaV, the first value is the start of the stage, the (second) is the end of the stage, after burning all the 'normal' fuel, but before staging.

And since it's a simulation, it works with RCS modules no matter what propellant. I've only tested the stock ones with mono and vernor engines, but it should handle any mod part with any fuel type(s) so long as it's a ModuleRCS.

The burn time is highly inaccurate since it's very hard to actually fire all the rcs engines at once at full blast.

I may add RCS Torque to the calculations if I can make it meaningful. Open to other suggestions.

Awesome man.

Where you mention the burn time is inaccurate, would that apply to the RCS Thrust shown in the second picture too?

Also if you were going to add a torque readout, I guess it'd have one for each axis so I guess adding thrust in all 3 directions too would be pretty amazing.

In saying that I think having torque/thrust on-hand during flight isn't useful for too many situations I can think of, but I could be wrong and it would still be cool! :D

@jrbudda Thanks for all of your hard work on this essential mod. Just an observation though, I can't seem to find anything to display 'separation at closest approach' for rendezvous. Do you know if this was ever implemented? Right now I have a separate MJ window to show it, but would be great if I could get it showing in one of my KER HUD's.

Thanks again for all you've done with maintaining this. Feel free to ignore this if it's already been asked/covered somewhere else.

@jrbudda one question regarding the HelpStrings.xml (btw as a site note - not related I guess - I read the issue https://github.com/jrbudda/KerbalEngineer/issues/4 )

The "original" one had these additional entries compared to the one shipped with your build:

<SettingItem>
    <Name>Orbital.PostBurnInclination</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The inclination of the vessel's orbit after the burn.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Orbital.PostBurnPeriod</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The period of the vessel's orbit after the burn.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Orbital.TripTotalDeltaV</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Total DeltaV of all maneuver nodes.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Surface.AtmosphericPressure</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Displays the current atmospheric pressure.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.BodyName</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Shows the name of the current body.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.HasAtmosphere</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Shows whether the current body has an atmosphere.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.HasOxygen</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Shows whether the current body has an oxygen rich atmosphere.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.HighAtmosphereHeight</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The altitude where the upper atmosphere begins.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.LowSpaceHeight</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The altitude where lower space begins.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.HighSpaceHeight</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The altitude where upper space begins.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Miscellaneous.SystemTime24</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Shows the System Time in 24 hour format</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Miscellaneous.SystemDateTime</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Shows the System Date/Time in ISO 8601 format</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Rendezvous.TimeToTransferAngleTime</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The time until the phase angle equals the transfer angle.</Value>
  </SettingItem>

Are these obsolete?

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@jrbudda one question regarding the HelpStrings.xml (btw as a site note - not related I guess - I read the issue https://github.com/jrbudda/KerbalEngineer/issues/4 )

The "original" one had these additional entries compared to the one shipped with your build:

<SettingItem>
    <Name>Orbital.PostBurnInclination</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The inclination of the vessel's orbit after the burn.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Orbital.PostBurnPeriod</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The period of the vessel's orbit after the burn.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Orbital.TripTotalDeltaV</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Total DeltaV of all maneuver nodes.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Surface.AtmosphericPressure</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Displays the current atmospheric pressure.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.BodyName</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Shows the name of the current body.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.HasAtmosphere</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Shows whether the current body has an atmosphere.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.HasOxygen</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Shows whether the current body has an oxygen rich atmosphere.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.HighAtmosphereHeight</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The altitude where the upper atmosphere begins.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.LowSpaceHeight</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The altitude where lower space begins.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Body.HighSpaceHeight</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The altitude where upper space begins.</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Miscellaneous.SystemTime24</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Shows the System Time in 24 hour format</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Miscellaneous.SystemDateTime</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">Shows the System Date/Time in ISO 8601 format</Value>
  </SettingItem>
  <SettingItem>
    <Name>Rendezvous.TimeToTransferAngleTime</Name>
    <Value xsi:type="string">The time until the phase angle equals the transfer angle.</Value>
  </SettingItem>

Are these obsolete?

Where are you finding the file with those additions? That file hasn't been modified on neither my nor cybuteks github, and I haven't touched it.

Edit: nevermind: that file is updated each time the mod is loaded, after running it it should have all the strings in it.

Edited by jrbudda

5 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

@jrbudda Thanks for all of your hard work on this essential mod. Just an observation though, I can't seem to find anything to display 'separation at closest approach' for rendezvous. Do you know if this was ever implemented? Right now I have a separate MJ window to show it, but would be great if I could get it showing in one of my KER HUD's.

Thanks again for all you've done with maintaining this. Feel free to ignore this if it's already been asked/covered somewhere else.

That's easy enough to add since it's a stock game thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.