[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Can I suggest, adding the synchronous orbit period as well.  (Ultimately for a synchronous satellite I'm likely to take more care with the orbital period, than with the exact height of the apoapsis and periapsis.  If I get the orbital period right, then the semi major access is right, and provided I'm reasonably circular, I don't care whether apoapsis = periapsis).   I agree about them belonging in the body section.  

Edited by AVaughan

42 minutes ago, AVaughan said:

Can I suggest, adding the synchronous orbit period as well.  (Ultimately for a synchronous satellite I'm likely to take more care with the orbital period, than with the exact height of the apoapsis and periapsis.  If I get the orbital period right, then the semi major access is right, and provided I'm reasonably circular, I don't care whether apoapsis = periapsis).   I agree about them belonging in the body section.  

Also a good suggestion. So far I've added a number of things to the Body section.

9df39a8d377e36274148f654699b7da0.png

Edit: And in adding Body Rotation Period I have actually already fulfilled your request.

Edited by jrbudda

2 hours ago, jrbudda said:

Will also look to see if there's other obvious things to put in Body that make sense. 

This is a bit different than just adding new readouts, but it'd be helpful to have a way to display the Body info for the body that's focused in the orbit map, instead of the one whose SOI your ship is currently in — similar to what you added in the tracking station, but while piloting a ship.

That'd helpful when you're orbiting body A but planning a maneuver to travel to body B.  In particular, I often want to know where the target body's "space high" boundary is, so I can plan my trajectory to take me a little above or below it (for science reasons) instead of spending additional fuel to change altitude when I get there.  Someone who wants to enter a synchronous orbit around the target body would likewise want to know the synchronous orbit altitude during maneuver planning.

1 hour ago, jrbudda said:

And in adding Body Rotation Period I have actually already fulfilled your request.

Thanks for that. 

Something that doesn't work for me in my 1.4.3 install.  If I target an object in Kerbin orbit whilst sitting on the launchpad, KER no longer displays a phase angle, which is useful when timing a launch to an LKO rendezvous.  (Not a huge issue, since i can just eyeball things from the map screen, but a phase angle would be better).   KER 1.1.4.10 installed via ckan.   

15 hours ago, Wyzard said:

This is a bit different than just adding new readouts, but it'd be helpful to have a way to display the Body info for the body that's focused in the orbit map, instead of the one whose SOI your ship is currently in — similar to what you added in the tracking station, but while piloting a ship.

That'd helpful when you're orbiting body A but planning a maneuver to travel to body B.  In particular, I often want to know where the target body's "space high" boundary is, so I can plan my trajectory to take me a little above or below it (for science reasons) instead of spending additional fuel to change altitude when I get there.  Someone who wants to enter a synchronous orbit around the target body would likewise want to know the synchronous orbit altitude during maneuver planning.

Yea I was thinking about a clever way show all the Body readouts in the Rendezvous panel when you're targeting a body. I could always just add a similar set of readouts. I'll think about it.

12 hours ago, AVaughan said:

Thanks for that. 

Something that doesn't work for me in my 1.4.3 install.  If I target an object in Kerbin orbit whilst sitting on the launchpad, KER no longer displays a phase angle, which is useful when timing a launch to an LKO rendezvous.  (Not a huge issue, since i can just eyeball things from the map screen, but a phase angle would be better).   KER 1.1.4.10 installed via ckan.   

When you're on the launchpad you don't really have a valid 'orbit' so I removed all calculations that don't make sense in that context. I guess what orbit data you do have while landed does work for a phase angle calculation so I will re-add it for the special 'launching' case.

29 minutes ago, jrbudda said:

When you're on the launchpad you don't really have a valid 'orbit' so I removed all calculations that don't make sense in that context. I guess what orbit data you do have while landed does work for a phase angle calculation so I will re-add it for the special 'launching' case. 

I think you've got this but I just wanted to add that I've seen this too, and not just with Phase Angle but also the other target-dependent parameters.  Technically, you're still in orbit of Kerbin, even though you're on the launchpad, no?  Might it have something to do with Reference Orbit?

7 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I think you've got this but I just wanted to add that I've seen this too, and not just with Phase Angle but also the other target-dependent parameters.  Technically, you're still in orbit of Kerbin, even though you're on the launchpad, no?  Might it have something to do with Reference Orbit?

Not... really. You have an orbit from a code perspective, but the math is a gibberish since you have a speed of 0 but you're actually moving along with the planet's surface. I guess calculations like phase angle work since it's instantaneous and positional relative to the parent body. Others like relative inclination, relative speed, etc aren't valid.

If there's other calculations besides phase angle which did work as expected before, let me know and I'll put them back as well.

@jrbudda now the Rendevous HUD / window is completely gone - in edit mode a small gray square is shown where the top left of the HUD / window should be.

No NRE or similar in the log when I try to enable it, but earlier this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionWindow.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionWindow.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt6f0nsulddoad6/2018-05-08_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

52 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@jrbudda now the Rendevous HUD / window is completely gone - in edit mode a small gray square is shown where the top left of the HUD / window should be.

No NRE or similar in the log when I try to enable it, but earlier this:

Full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt6f0nsulddoad6/2018-05-08_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Hmm not able to reproduce. I think those errors are just during the scene change and not related. Try editing the Rendezvous panel from the KER toolbar button, remove all the readouts and re-add them all and see if one of them specifically kills it.

Edit: Also where were you and what were you targeting?

Edited by jrbudda

36 minutes ago, jrbudda said:

Also where were you and what were you targeting?

I wasn't targeting anything at all, I could have done it with the target selector in the UI ...
It was like that at the launchpad and in orbit.
And now it works again, I think there is a part issue somehow, also MechJeb and LandingHeight have issues when the stage with the MonoPropellant using "OMS kit" is active (or existing in a later stage).
I was in reentry with the pod and was able to open the UI.
-> I will report to Angel-125 in the M.O.L.E. thread.

I only wanted to open it to see what's in there to have a complete overview while adding the new readouts to my UI.

This is perhaps the single most useful mod for KSP, and it is certainly well put together.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any chance of adding the ability to change text colour? 

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@jrbudda just as a reminder, there is still this old KER issue with the middle-click readout of TWR @sealevel always being 0:
sg3a4po.png

If you mean the 'Thrust 0 / 471.00kN' reading, per the code that's min/max thrust so is correct for a liquid engine.

2 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Oh, well ... I was in the "atm / vac" mode of synapses.

Yea the ISP display is 1.0 / 0.0 atmosphere, but thrust is just the minThrust / maxThrust straight from the .cfg file. I don't know that I agree it should be that way, but it is technically working as intended.

@jrbudda I requested this a while back but I think it might have gotten buried, so I figured it'd be okay to bring it up again. Can we get a line break separator in addition to the line separator that exists in miscellaneous currently?

My intent is to get this effect with my HUD, but without having to use separate HUD elements and having to position them all perfectly in order to get this nice clean look:

uTeJNk1.png

...as opposed to this:

3zc6nYU.png

Alternatively, depending on what would be easier, perhaps just adding an alpha slider for the separator so we can just turn them transparent?

2 hours ago, blorgon said:

@jrbudda I requested this a while back but I think it might have gotten buried, so I figured it'd be okay to bring it up again. Can we get a line break separator in addition to the line separator that exists in miscellaneous currently?

My intent is to get this effect with my HUD, but without having to use separate HUD elements and having to position them all perfectly in order to get this nice clean look:

uTeJNk1.png

...as opposed to this:

3zc6nYU.png

Alternatively, depending on what would be easier, perhaps just adding an alpha slider for the separator so we can just turn them transparent?

Sure easy enough to add. Just a note to you and anyone else with suggestions. I have not and will not read all 168 pages of this thread. Any previous suggestions or bugs should be considered lost and the best way to get them implemented is opening a github issue on my fork. Thank you and have a nice day.

12 minutes ago, jrbudda said:

Sure easy enough to add. Just a note to you and anyone else with suggestions. I have not and will not read all 168 pages of this thread. Any previous suggestions or bugs should be considered lost and the best way to get them implemented is opening a github issue on my fork. Thank you and have a nice day.

Ha! Fair enough. Would you like me to head over there and open an issue?

Hi! I've encountered strange KER readings! (I talked about it here).

I made a launcher for a rover. The launcher had normal KER readings, then I added the rover on top and the readings changed and became weird!

Here is a screenshot. We can see that the stage with the poodle (S2) has 1.79 TWR and 0 dV, whereas the rover has 3771 m/s dV!

This happens when the root is the launcher probe core (RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit above the fairing). If I change the root to the rover probe core (RC-001S under the docking port), the readings change and become normal.

Note that in both configurations, the ship works fine.

Edited by Gilead

54 minutes ago, Gilead said:

I made a launcher for a rover. The launcher had normal KER readings, then I added the rover on top and the readings changed and became weird!

Here is a screenshot. We can see that the stage with the poodle (S2) has 1.79 TWR and 0 dV, whereas the rover has 3771 m/s dV!

This happens when the root is the launcher probe core (RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit above the fairing). If I change the root to the rover probe core (RC-001S under the docking port), the readings change and become normal.

I believe it's caused by the fact that KER have to assume how your vessel is staged. The part you select as your root is the one you go with. Therefore it is always important to be aware of which part you select as core, when you look at your readings, as well as the way your staging is defined.

On 5/15/2018 at 12:19 PM, Gilead said:

Yup, totally normal. S0 is not the rover if the probe core is the root, its the probe core. KER is telling you when you activate your last stage, the dead weight of the rover is left behind and the core, tank, and poodle now have lots of dV.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.